PC to Router - Straight Thru or Crossover?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody,
I think i see conflicting answers in practice tests. Does a PC to Router need to be a Straight Thru or Cross Over cable, not for consoling in (roll over). Just general connectivity.

Thanks

Comments

• fivedollarcouchfivedollarcouch Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    crossover cable should be the answer on a test. in reality, i assume it would autosense and be fine with a straight through
    2013 goals (old)
    CCENT (passed) | CCNA | JNCIA-Junos | CCNA:Security | WGU Enrollment

2013 goals (new job means new focus)
    CCENT (passed) | VCP5-DV (class 1st week of april, cert by end of april) | WGU Enrollment | CCNA | MCSA:Server2k8
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    I think of it like this - a typical network connection is PC -> Switch -> Router. These are all straight through connections.

Anything else would be a crossover - PC -> Router, or any like devices (switch -> switch, PC -> PC, router -> router, etc).

Like fivedollarcouch says though, in real life most devices are auto sensing so it's a bit of an outdated concept - still know it for the exam though!
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When studying use this theory - like devices use cross-over. For example, a like device would be router to router, switch to switch, PC to PC. Unlike devices use straight-thru. Example, unlike devices would be router to PC, switch to router, switch to PC.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    one tricky point is hubs and switches. they are considered alike and require a cross over cable (i think). do bridges and switches need cross over? i think they are similar.
  • Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Node Man wrote: »
    one tricky point is hubs and switches. they are considered alike and require a cross over cable (i think). do bridges and switches need cross over? i think they are similar.

A switch is nothing more than a multiport bridge, so yes you would have to use a crossover cable to connect them.
    11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    PC and Router uses the same cables/pins to send and receive information, therefor it needs to be "flipped" so no collisions occur
    transit ----> X <----transit
    Thus, It needs to be a cross over

crossover-4.gif
    (not exactly router+pc, just to show TX and RX pins)
    TX = send
    RX = receive
    meh
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was messing with packet tracer the other day and I just noticed that a router to PC connection used a crossover cable. I always thought that unlike devices use straight-thru and same/similar devices use crossover but I guess router to PC is the exception to that rule. Here's a quick example: Crossover are the dashed lines. Straight-thru is straight.

ymG36fs.png
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    When studying use this theory - like devices use cross-over. For example, a like device would be router to router, switch to switch, PC to PC. Unlike devices use straight-thru. Example, unlike devices would be router to PC, switch to router, switch to PC.

MAC_Addy, that's slightly incorrect. A PC to Router is a crossover.

For the purposes of cabling, switches, hubs, bridges and repeaters can all be classed as the same device - that is, any connections between those will use a crossover.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • jonmaxxjonmaxx Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    iamme4eva wrote: »
    I think of it like this - a typical network connection is PC -> Switch -> Router. These are all straight through connections.

Anything else would be a crossover - PC -> Router, or any like devices (switch -> switch, PC -> PC, router -> router, etc).

Like fivedollarcouch says though, in real life most devices are auto sensing so it's a bit of an outdated concept - still know it for the exam though!

Just joined to say BRILLIANT!!!! Thank you!!!! This has been plaguing me forever and this is by far the easiest way to remember!

Thank y ou!icon_cheers.gif
  • YanioYanio Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree, that's a really handy way of thinking about it!
    "That's what" -She