just curios?plz i wanna know

ritamshomeritamshome Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am very (and i really mean very) new to linux. Could anyone plz ans to these queries/questions?

1. How do you install new programs ,Softwares ,unzip files , and new patches in linux. (Turbo linux workstation icon_cool.gif .The programs &/or softwares may be wrritten to run on windows platform &/or linux platform.
2. Also how do you make (or convert) .exe files to run on linux {which for example have been downloaded from the internet}.These run easily on windows xp.
3.How to run .DAT movies/songs in linux.
4. recommend some great books/sites for passing rhce.i plan to give this exam after completing mcse2003.(currently some distance away).Could someone get trained for this (from institution)
to sit directly for this exam before passing lp1 &2.
5.Get my motherboard to detect 128 MB RAM instead of 112MB.

signing out--ritamshome

Comments

• dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    ritamshome wrote:
    I am very (and i really mean very) new to linux. Could anyone plz ans to these queries/questions?

1. How do you install new programs ,Softwares ,unzip files , and new patches in linux. (Turbo linux workstation icon_cool.gif .The programs &/or softwares may be wrritten to run on windows platform &/or linux platform.
    2. Also how do you make (or convert) .exe files to run on linux {which for example have been downloaded from the internet}.These run easily on windows xp.
    3.How to run .DAT movies/songs in linux.
    4. recommend some great books/sites for passing rhce.i plan to give this exam after completing mcse2003.(currently some distance away).Could someone get trained for this (from institution)
    to sit directly for this exam before passing lp1 &2.
    5.Get my motherboard to detect 128 MB RAM instead of 112MB.

signing out--ritamshome

1. Programs you download, must be compatible with the operating system you're using. That being said, most programs etc.. can be downloaded in .tgz format.
    Do a tar -zxvf filenamehere.tgz to untar
    2. You need to download file extensions compatible with your OS
    3. Most versions of linux have programs that can play media. If not, google mp3 linux
    4. Not sure if there is official training. But RHCE is a real hands on test. It is nothing like mcse. As far as I know, they did away with multiple choice. Your best bet is to start with something like Linux + and move your way up. Download or buy a copy of red hat and start playing with it. Set up servers etc..
    5. did you try a different stick of RAM? Perhaps a different slot?
  • ritamshomeritamshome Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the great and effective advice. The first three are solved courtesy ur help. I'll take your fourth advice seriously(VERY). As for the fifth problem i kind of figured it out myself.Actually i had shared/beefed up my memory for video/better graphics performance of upto 16MB which i resetted from BIOS backto 8 MB --the minimum limit.The RAM was then detected very near to 128 MB.Although the other two options of replacing the stick , & going for another slot also stand valid.

Heck tried playing a .wav file in xine but it did not work.

signing out--ritamshome
    Is it possible to connect windows server 2003 (or xp) & linux on a single machine having dual (2-3) operating systems i.e. Win xp (or win 2003 server) & linux.Sombody suggested that Samba does the trick. I don't know how. If it is possible then could someone PLZ tell how it's done & give some details.
    Heck it would be nice if it was possible to connect Win 2003 server & Win xp on the same machine running the 2 os's on two different partitions.
    Still preparing for the server paper. Don't know how to manage all this.

signing out-ritamshome
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am inclined to think that I don't really understand your question because it sounds like you are doing multi boot of some kind. In a nutshell Samba makes a Linux system look like Windows NT 4.5 to a windows network. Of course there never was a NT 4.5 but windows happily says welcome aboard. I don't know if that helps any but the easy way to try it is download a copy of Knoppix and boot it from the CD that you burn. There is a samba menu option on the start programs menu in the KDE shell which is totally painless for joining network neighborhood.

Since it was designed to run from a CD Knoppix is preconfigured for most things and is a quick way to casually play with Linux or hack a windows system/network since it understands NTFS and has open office on the disk.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • drewm320drewm320 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can certainly install both Windows and Linux on the same system and boot into either one (separately, not at the same time). If you wanted to share files between the two installations you could do that pretty easily. Linux can access a FAT32 partition perfectly well, you just need to mount it. It can also access NTFS partitions but it's a little bit flakier. Samba is a network protocol and is useless on a standalone machine.
    Thanks for all the answers. This forum sure rocks and hope it keeps getting many hits for years to come for aspiring candidates.

A Question:

In windows after you have deleted a file or folder you can normally retrieve it from the recycle bin unless you have pressed shift+del. In linux i saw that if i press delete it is totally flushed out without having any way to recover the file, Unless you manually move the concerned file to trash or you right click the file to move to trash or you remove the directory from the shell.

The question is- IS there any way to recover those files in linux after a user has deleted the files.
    why does it not go to trash so that Files thrown into the trash can be recovered easily.Or do you have to always throw the files manually to trash for files to be recovered.

signing out--ritamshome
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It works exactly the same way in Windows. Only the Shell (desktop) uses the recycle bin. Open a command window and use delete and the file bypasses the recycle bin, so does all removeable media, zip drives, pen drives, USB attach disks, packet writing CDRW's etc. Recycle bins/trashcans were things added to shells and win desktop, Gnome, KDE, OS/2 Desktop manager are all shells.

You must remember that you are really not doing a true delete but just moving the file to a hidden/protected folder called whatever recycle bin, trash can etc. It is just a thing for newbees or tired/stoned users. Just as it always was in DOS/OS2 you need a file system directory walker to grab the file pieces before they are over written with the least frequently used allocation algorythms.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    The debugfs command can be used to undelete files provided the area on disk has not been overwritten by something else. It is not a simple tool and you can really screw things up if you don't know what you are doing. The reason a file doesn't go into a Recycle Bin comes from the Unix heritage. The operating system was designed for people who know what they are doing and it is assumed that if you tell the OS to delete a file, you actually want it deleted.
    Thanks for the all the advice and tips mate . Had been away for a week so could not check in .
    On returning back i found that when i logged onto linux kde the time shown in the taskbar was incorrect.Tried to rectify it. The time was corrected but got the error message:

Sound Server fatal error: cpu overload , aborting.

Then again when i logged in on a different date the same thing happened.This now occurs everytime i switch on. How do i correct this problem?

My Guess is that one of the motherboard batteries might have flopped . Plz correct me if i am wrong!!

signing out--ritamshome
    The command tar xvf /dev/fd0 *.c displays an error message even though the diskette contains a number of .c files. Why did it happen?

signing out--ritamshome
    javascript:emoticon('icon_confused.gif')

Hi!
    I am faced with a problem which i do not know how to resolve.
    I was busy copying and pasting text from web pages (While browsing the net)
    onto an earlier saved text document in the Kde desktop i.e. I was busy updating the text
    -document when my computer hung. I waited for almost about 20 minutes but still nothing happened.This took place while i tried to save the updated text-document.Eventually i had to reboot.On rebooting i found on accessing the text-document that the text that i had tried to save was not present.Also the earlier saved text inside the text-document
    was not present.On accessing the properties of the text-document i found out that it was occupying 0 bytes.Can i in any way recover my data. If yes then how?If not then how can i in future prevent this from occurring? The text-document was created by KWord.
    javascript:emoticon('icon_redface.gif')
    Obviously i blundered by not keeping a backup.

signing out--ritamshome.
    1.Is it possible to reconnect a process to a terminal after it has
    been disconnected, e.g. after starting a program in the background
    and logging out?
    2) Is it possible to "spy" on a terminal, displaying the output
    that's appearing on it on another terminal?

more questions guaranteed.

signing out--ritamshome.
    1.How can I find out which user or process has a file open ('icon_evil.gif') or is using
    a particular file system (so that I can unmount it?)
    2. How do I get rid of zombie processes that persevere?

signing out--ritamshome
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ritamshome wrote:
    1.Is it possible to reconnect a process to a terminal after it has
    been disconnected, e.g. after starting a program in the background
    and logging out?

The 'screen' program has been designed for this purpose. You can attach
    and deattach to screen sessions at will.
    2) Is it possible to "spy" on a terminal, displaying the output
    that's appearing on it on another terminal?

There are probably other solutions but using 'screen' is again one. When one user runs screen another one can simultaneously connect to it by running 'screen -x'. See the man page for details.

HTH,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ritamshome wrote:
    1.How can I find out which user or process has a file open ('icon_evil.gif') or is using
    a particular file system (so that I can unmount it?)
    'lsof' is your fried for this. It can list open file as well as open network connections for users, processes, etc.
    2. How do I get rid of zombie processes that persevere?
    Reboot. Zombie processes are often indicators for bad applications so you might consider updating.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
    I did'nt expect answer's so fast. Double Thanks.Lordy truly rules & this forum surely rocks.

signing out--ritamshome.
    hi all,

whats the difference between a live CD of linux and the full version of linux CD's. Recently i got a knoppix live CD , booted it and the whole lnux environment came but heck no installation. Does that mean we do not have to bother about getting the full installation CD's.

Plz enlighten me.

signing out--ritam shome.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    There are several different live distros available. They can be used for data recovery/repair type tasks, which is the main use for real Linux users.

I have played around with Linux just a little and most of these are just curiosities to me. But, the most interesting one fits on a floppy disk and is called Freesco. It is a simple home network router. The web site is here http://freescobox.justmyhost.com/ . You can even boot this up on an old PC that doesn't even have a hard drive.

A big advantage for the live versions is to see if you want to commit to a full install. But, there is a way to install Knoppix on a hard drive and have a version of Linux onboard the hard drive. Not being a Linux person, I don't know how, but I'm sure you can find it on the Internet somewhere.

Good luck with your new discoveries!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ritamshome wrote:
    hi all,

whats the difference between a live CD of linux and the full version of linux CD's. Recently i got a knoppix live CD , booted it and the whole lnux environment came but heck no installation. Does that mean we do not have to bother about getting the full installation CD's.

Plz enlighten me.

hello,
    a live cd was only an image of a configured machine. but still you can use some tools to save your image config - so you will have your config saved.
    read the manual how to save your config on floppy : ) after that boot the system with your live cd and floppy inserted.

cheers...
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
    Hello everyone,

Special thanks to Janmike and rossonieri for clearing up the jungle in my head. :D:D:D thanks all
    . A very useful site that janmike has given us all. A must see for everyone. Will keep on discovering and cheers to all.

A stupid question " Is it possible to install simultaneously red hat or any other linux version into two separate hard disks with a single stand alone computer with the help of 2 cd roms. Is it necessary to have a multiprocessor computer for that". So by the end of an hour we can have two hard disks with red hat installed with partitions and everything.

If it can be done then how?? Can it be implemented for Windows too.

signing out--ritam shome
    Hi all,

While booting-->

Initializing USB mouse: [OK]
    Your system appears to have shut down uncleanly
    Press Y within 1 seconds to force filesystem integrity check---y
    Checking root filesystem
    /:
    Unattached inode 148708
    /: Unexpected inconsistency ; RUN fsck Manually (i.e. without -a or -p options) [ FAILED]
    *** An error occurred during the file system check.
    *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
    *** When you leave the shell
    Give root password for maintenance (or type Ctrl-D for normal startup):-

I gave the password
    it accepted\
    and then whatever i type filesystem 1,2,3... etc keeps on appearing

so how do i resolve this problem. PLz help. I want it to boot in text or graphical mode. But everytime this error occurs.

• Gennosuke HIGAKIGennosuke HIGAKI Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ritamshome wrote:
    The command tar xvf /dev/fd0 *.c displays an error message even though the diskette contains a number of .c files. Why did it happen?

signing out--ritamshome

Tar is for creating archives or extract files from the archived file. I think you tried to see contents in a particular device. I simulated your way.

Pre-work

1. Mount a device onto the root tree as root

# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

2. Check if it mounted right

# mount
    # ls -al /mnt/floppy

Do command in question (Note: I copied xxx.cc files in the floppy)

# tar xvf /dev/fd0 *cc

This option spews an error as you reported, so redirect the error in a file AAA

# tar xvf /dev/fd0 *cc 2> /mnt/floppy/AAA

Look it again

# cat AAA

tar: This does not look like a tar archive
    tar: Skipping to next header
    tar: FingerPrintResults.cc: Not found in archive
    ---
    ---
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Okay? Details: see http://www.computerhope.com/unix/utar.htm
    ritamshome wrote:
    Sombody suggested that Samba does the trick. I don't know how. If it is possible then could someone PLZ tell how it's done & give some details.

signing out-ritamshome

I foucus on Samba. Quite flattly speaking, Samba Server installed in Linux speaks a Microsoft native protocol on port 139 as netbios-ssn, in other words, NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

So no particular interface is needed on Windoz side. Samba is really nice and helpful to make Widowz and Unix/Linux seamlessly united in a private network though, authentication has been a bottleneck.

Recently I learned a new method called "WINBIND" is added in the new release after Samba 2.2. I haven't tried but Windoz domain controller manages all. Details: see http://us1.samba.org/samba/
    ritamshome wrote:
    Hi all,

While booting-->

Initializing USB mouse: [OK]
    Your system appears to have shut down uncleanly
    Press Y within 1 seconds to force filesystem integrity check---y
    Checking root filesystem
    /:
    Unattached inode 148708
    /: Unexpected inconsistency ; RUN fsck Manually (i.e. without -a or -p options) [ FAILED]
    *** An error occurred during the file system check.
    *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
    *** When you leave the shell
    Give root password for maintenance (or type Ctrl-D for normal startup):-

I gave the password
    it accepted\
    and then whatever i type filesystem 1,2,3... etc keeps on appearing

so how do i resolve this problem. PLz help. I want it to boot in text or graphical mode. But everytime this error occurs.

Type: fdisk -l
    This lists all partitions in the partition table. Make note of all Linux partitions (not swap or any other type).

For all Linux partitions type: fsck /dev/xxx#
    Make sure to use the actual name of the partition. i.e. /dev/hda1.

If you get a warning that the partition is mounted, cancel the fsck on that partition and move on to the next. If you get messages about 'inconsistencies found', fix them.

Once you've gone through all the Linux partitions, reboot.

FYI, the 1,2,3 that keeps coming up is a count of the number of commands that you've run. That's just what the prompt looks like when you're in maintenance mode.
    ritamshome wrote:
    A stupid question " Is it possible to install simultaneously red hat or any other linux version into two separate hard disks with a single stand alone computer with the help of 2 cd roms. Is it necessary to have a multiprocessor computer for that". So by the end of an hour we can have two hard disks with red hat installed with partitions and everything. If it can be done then how?? Can it be implemented for Windows too.

signing out--ritam shome

I don't think this a stupid question. You don't have to use a SMP: Symmetric Multi Processing architecture. This can be done relatively easy though, I recommend you learn boot process and boot loaders.

For instance, http://www.xs4all.nl/~lennartb/bootloaders/

If you don't like jugglings, install separate NOS in separate HD and make one, mostly Linux, for floppy boot.
    Hi all,

Thanks a ton to drewm320 especially since my red hat is up and running now. WOw this forum surely rocks and is surely at the pinnacle compared to the other forums. Webmaster kudos to you. Gr8 job...
    As suggested typed fdisk -l and a list of all the partitions came and then typed fsck /dev/hda6 and woppee all tyes of passing and checking took place, and as for that unattached inode 148708
    Connect to /lost +found<y>?yes
    Inode 148708 ref count is 2, should be 1. Fix<y>?yes
    and all the other passes and checking took placeand finally the final fix.
    *** FILE SYSTEM was modified***
    Pressed ctrl+D and boy did everything run smoothly after the reboot.
    So thanks again for the great and effective advice. Am so happy. Feels gr8 to have a system up and running again.

Hi all,

Thanks to Gennosuke HIGAKI for further clearing up the concepts and proving some great links. I think these links will be of immense help to any one in this forum. So plz visit. Thats what counts --immense participation and overall knowledge.

hi all,

just wanted to know how to share folders in linux. And also whether sharing in linux is better than sharing in windows. Also what are the compilation problems in red hat linux and what is transparent proxying? Is firewalling in linux better than in windows.

signing out-- ritamshome.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ritamshome wrote:
    hi all,

just wanted to know how to share folders in linux. And also whether sharing in linux is better than sharing in windows. Also what are the compilation problems in red hat linux and what is transparent proxying? Is firewalling in linux better than in windows.

hello,

read well about SAMBA - both the server and client.
    file sharing in unicies is pretty much similar to windows FAT - except some enhancement with NTFS.
    compilation is all unicies problem.
    trasnparent proxying is a proxying mechanism so any traffic will be redirected to proxy without the need to specify user name etc on the client side.
    firewalling depends on how capable you manage certain OS.

cheers : )
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
    ritamshome wrote:
    hi all,

This topic covers fairy large extents. For your reference, below is my comments on my limited knowledge and experiences.

1. Share folders in Linux

NFS: Network File Systems developed by SunMicro Systems, has been the main pillar in Unix/Linux but, this is fundamentally for local purpose. Heterogeneous NFS is available but commercial as far as I know of.

Australian born Samba looks to be becoming indispensable in all Linux packages. I can't assert which OS is better in its file sharing system. Linux and Windoz differ completely in their file permissions and user authentications. You know Windoz a lot, don’t you? I recommend learning Linux side through Samba management.

2. Compilation in RedHat

In general, kernel compilation was a must before 2.2 series, that is, prior to the development of driver modularization. Recently we hardly do so since the default kernel is tuned up optimally for the distribution. For a specific server purpose, custom compilation is still the best solution, that is, monolithic all-in-one kernel without modularization and installation of major server software, Apache, Samba, Squid, or something, from scratch. I had used Slackware distribution.

Basically, RedHat makes users observe their policy of RPM based binary distribution. All software records are registered in a database. RedHat don't recommend compilation from any other than their source code since irregular conducts from tarball, dkpg or any other affect the dependency among source, library, software, config files, even documentation. This is their sales talk but we sometimes bog down in “so-and-so missing” or “so-and-so destroy so-and-so dependency, do you go?” swamp, if we try unpopular or particular rpm binary.

3. Transparent Proxy

Probably, I assume this to redirect client Web access requests automatically toward Internet via a proxy server. Simple case, build Squid proxy server, build DHCP server to assign a set of ip, netmask, dns, gateway i.e., to Squid, to clients When the proxy accepts outbound ip address, it directs it outward. I heard proxy server came hardly to be applied since the improvement of Internet line services and diversity of user access preferences. I had run a Squid in a narrow 64KB blackpacket switch line for approx. 100 users. They hardly noticed their going through the proxy.

4. Firewalling

This lies in a packet filtering capability in the Linux kernel mechanism. For filtering technology, refer to ipchains or iptables They might look gibberish though lots of examples and howtos are available in Internet. Windows kernel can't be reduced to a floppy size, as you know, but Linux can do. Refer to LRP: Linux Router Project Once I had run a small router box which could boot from one of 3 different kernels, FREESCO, Mosquito, and OpenBSD. The base PC was an early P133 model. I compared and measured the performances with a CISCO 2514 router in the same LAN on a T1 1.4MB line. My hand made router showed equal or slightly better results.