CCNA Composite or Separate?

Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
Well I've been studying for the CCENT/CCNA for about 20 days. I've watched all of the CCENT videos from CBT Nuggets and I'm currently studying CCNA Study Guide 7th ed. by Todd Lammle.

The chapters outlined for ICND1 from the book goes as follows: 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,10,12,14,16

The chapters outlined for ICND2 from the book goes as follows: 5,6,7,9,11,12,13,14,15,16

So obviously there is a lot of overlap. But from ICND1 to ICND2, there is only 5 more chapters to cover. 5,9,11,13,15

Here are the table of contents

Chapter 1 Internetworking 1
Chapter 2 Review of Ethernet Networking and Data Encapsulation 41
Chapter 3 Introduction to TCP/IP 83
Chapter 4 Easy Subnetting 135
Chapter 5 Variable Length Subnet Masks (VLSMs), Summarization, and Troubleshooting TCP/IP 175
Chapter 6 Cisco’s Internetworking Operating System (IOS) 205
Chapter 7 Managing a Cisco Internetwork 277
Chapter 8 IP Routing 345
Chapter 9 Enhanced IGRP (EIGRP) and Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) 427
Chapter 10 Layer 2 Switching and Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) 503
Chapter 11 Virtual LANs (VLANs) 557
Chapter 12 Security 607
Chapter 13 Network Address Translation (NAT) 655
Chapter 14 Cisco’s Wireless Technologies 683
Chapter 15 Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) 715
Chapter 16 Wide Area Networks 741

So the topics I would have to study for after CCENT are:

VLSM
EIGROP/OSPF
VLANs
NAT
IPv6

Would I be better off just studying the rest of the chapters and taking the composite or should I take ICND1 and 2 separately? I'd much rather sit one test that covers (a little bit of) everything than take 2 exams that go more in depth on half and half.

I know this is ultimately up to my preference, but I'd like to hear what people who have taken both Composite and Separately think. So please share your thoughts and suggestions on this.

Thank You

SG
On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
Scheduled for: Unscheduled
Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs

Comments

• Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I feel that if i fail the CCNA, I will lose $300. I also feel that if i fail the ICDN1, I will only lose $150.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Here's an idea. Schedule the test for the ICND1 exam. Give yourself 60-90 days to prepare. In the mean time, I just posted a link from Pearson IT E-Book of the week for their "31 days before CCENT." Its 10 bucks. So in 30 days or so from now, go through the book. If you feel you are not ready, reschedule. If you feel you know the information like the back of your hand, go take the test. Like others have said, Id rather loose 150 then 300.00.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I always suggest the one test route. You have to learn it all anyway and the less trips to the testing center the better IMO. Just study right the first time and you won't have to worry about losing any money.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    Have to agree with Networker, I just took my time with it, until I knew I was ready (well was confident enough). Again lots of people are different, if you feel after reviewing the modules its still just too much to take in, then you can always still just do the ICND1 and atleast get something for your time, and then start again.

Dont get me wrong the certs are always good but the knowledge is far more important, so dont rush it.
  • iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    Personally, two tests all the way for me. I started studying for the composite, but I bottled it after two of my friends failed the composite.
    I'd much rather sit one test that covers (a little bit of) everything than take 2 exams that go more in depth on half and half.

I can see your logic, but be careful thinking it will be easier and gloss over the details. Both of my friends who failed the composite had the same preconception and were shocked at how difficult the exam was, and how little time they had.

I never had issues with time on either of the exams I took - passed them both first time. I am quite a quick person anyway though, I don't really take my time that much. I can't comment on time for the composite, as I never took it.

Everybody is different though, so it's whatever you feel most comfortable with. Just study hard, and know it inside out. If you know your stuff, whichever exam you take you can't fail.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have money to burn if I fail the exam. So I went two exams. Worked for the better for me!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I am very happy that WGU made me go the 2 exam route. I passed ICND1 on the first try, but ICND2 on the 4th try. WGU paid for 2 of the attempts and I got the other 2 heavily discounted by searching for discount vouchers. It may have taken me less attempts if I would have taken the combined exam since the easier CCENT portion would have brought up my score for the harder CCNA portion, but that's just speculation.
  • rchaserchase Member Posts: 126
    I took the composite exam, but I'd recommend going the CCENT-CCNA route. Why not get 2 certs instead of 1
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Either way you are only getting one useful certification IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My two cents is the composite exam. But do what feels best for you.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Composite is the way to go unless you are brand new to the material.
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    I've settled on the Composite exam. Thanks for the input guys!
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good Luck!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've settled on the Composite exam. Thanks for the input guys!

Sounds good!

Sorry....couldn't resist! Good luck man....
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    Either way you are only getting one useful certification IMO.

I'm all for the two-test route unless you've got experience or need it in a hurry (like for a job) but this is spot on. Don't kid yourself that CCENT + CCNA is any better than just the CCNA. It's just resume fodder.
  • kweevusskweevuss Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I thought at first I would be able to take the composite exam. I was wrong, I learned my lesson. I think if you already had an understanding of networking, and Cisco a composite might be a better option. If you are jumping in it like me without any experience the two test route is better for me. And in the end you have the same cert. Just don't give up!
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    kweevuss wrote: »
    I thought at first I would be able to take the composite exam. I was wrong, I learned my lesson. I think if you already had an understanding of networking, and Cisco a composite might be a better option. If you are jumping in it like me without any experience the two test route is better for me. And in the end you have the same cert. Just don't give up!

I had no real experience prior to my studies except network+ and general networking while working. Nothing Cisco specific and definitely didn't touch the CLI until I got my lab equipment.

I have a full lab now (3 Routers/3 Switches) so I have full hands on experience. I have a high aptitude for learning and pick things up like vacuum.

What exactly about the composite exam made you fail the first time around?