Too old ?

den1966den1966 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
At 46 to be starting out in IT.
I've always had an intrest in computers and find them fascinating.
I'm currently studying for the A+ and really enjoying it , I'm a carpenter by trade and I'm fed up to the teeth with it and really need a change ... What does the board say?
I'm living in Ireland by the way ..

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're never too old, if it interests you then go for it, the sky is the limit in this field, especially network/IT security (which I am currently studying for)
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's 50+ year olds starting to become DOCTORS..so I am fairly confident 46 is not too old to start in IT. Good luck to you!
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums.

I agree with others, you're never too old to move into something new. I've taught many classes with students that were changing careers and many of the students were around your age. Age certainly won't stop you from learning. The challenge is that a career changer often starts with entry level IT jobs. This makes sense for someone young but can sometimes represent a pay cut for a trade professional.

Good luck.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @den1966 - I am 46 too and just started the switch to IT, so go for it, my friend! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Age doesn't matter in IT. I'm only 21 and I had a classmate at college who was about your age, probably even older (only had white hair) and you know what, he was one of the best students of the class. He eventually got a CCNA and a good job. So it's never too late to get in the IT field.
  • den1966den1966 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your kind words folks.
    Just some doubts creeping in about my age and the myth that IT is a young man's/ladies game ..
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    den1966 wrote: »
    Thanks for your kind words folks.
    Just some doubts creeping in about my age and the myth that IT is a young man's/ladies game ..

Two of the best and brightest engineer's I've ever met were older (and entered IT at a slightly older age)..so don't let that stop you.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    No, you're not too old. Your other experience can be used as a difference maker. For example, you might in the future do niche IT work in your former career field.

What is up with people thinking they're too old today?

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/85887-too-old-game.html
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    Big George Foreman won the IBF Heavyweight title at 44 years old.

Randy Couture was 43 when he was the UFC Heavyweight Champion.

You can do IT.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Being older and entering the game it WILL be more difficult for you than it would for a younger person. Some people will be biased against older people, and you may have more difficulty learning new technologies (compared to having learned them when you were younger). That being said, it's not impossible, you just will need to work extra hard to bring your skills up to par. Best of luck.
  • den1966den1966 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just noticed that I've posted this in the security+ forum, it was ment for the a+ forum ..
    if the mod wants to move it I won't be offended ...
  • SwitchingGearsSwitchingGears Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    X3 on 46 and starting out in IT. I'll only add the memory is not what it once was...but learning to adapt.

Go for it!
    Halfway thru Cisco Networking Academy towards CCNA; Halfway towards EnCe or CCE. Self-studying A+,Security+
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck ,i hope you get what you want.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • KeithJaggerKeithJagger Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    den1966 wrote: »
    At 46 to be starting out in IT.
    I've always had an intrest in computers and find them fascinating.
    I'm currently studying for the A+ and really enjoying it , I'm a carpenter by trade and I'm fed up to the teeth with it and really need a change ... What does the board say?
    I'm living in Ireland by the way ..

I'm 36 and feel the same way. Eye of the Tiger, baby....if you have the drive nothing can stop you.
  • biker_dudebiker_dude Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just have to get your foot in the door. That is the hard part because most companies prefer 20 year olds now days.
  • datgirldatgirl Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    By no means is 46 too old to be entering the field of IT. Though the harsh reality is that some individuals in a hiring positions will feel that you will be expecting / needing more money and benifits than a 20-something hiree. They may also have the false perception that you won't be able to keep pace with new technologies, or be able to perform some of the physically demanding aspects of the job. However, these false perceptions may easily be outweighed by a perception that you will bring a level of maturity and experience to the task at hand. So I say, by all means go for it!!
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You've received quite a bit of optimism. Let me add a bit of caution.

I've seen a few people enter IT at an advanced age and fail. While you may face some hiring managers that believe you can't do what a younger person can, be doubly ready for when you meet one who thinks you can! Folks in entry-level jobs are often expected to "pay their dues". This may involve physical lifting, working extra hours, or menial work. "I'm too old for that." is not a valid excuse--it actually confirms the "prejudice" and is a good reason to bounce you from the position. If you can approach this from a "Beginner's Mind" perspective, and also accept the young'uns know more than you technically, you should do just fine.
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You've received quite a bit of optimism. Let me add a bit of caution. ...
    Good advice. Here's a relevant article on the topic:

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130422020049-8451-the-tech-industry-s-darkest-secret-it-s-all-about-age

At 47, I've been working my way in for about 9 years (formerly an accountant and currently an IT Audit Manager), and am still cautiously optimistic.
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D