Cisco lab with Mac book pro..

optimistmindoptimistmind Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok I've made the big move from Pc to Mac....but I'm not sure how to set up my mac to with with my routers.....Would I need any software?......icon_redface.gif

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used a Windows 7 VM with puTTy and a usb to console. I would assume that you could connect a usb to console to the mac and simply use terminal and ssh.

Edit:
    This was on a 2012 rMPB 15"
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • optimistmindoptimistmind Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks mate where did you get your PuTTy from....I'm not sure what version I should use...I'm running Win.7
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I usually download Putty from this site:
    PuTTY Download Page

I saw this (don't have a MAC to test this on, so can't vouch for the instructions):
    Putty Equivalent for Mac OS X | UnixNewbie.org
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Iterm2 works very well its acutally what I use most of the time with Jelly Fish SSH that launches the seesions. It can be buggy at times. I also have SecureCRT for MAC its 100 bucks, but works like a champ. For notepads I use Jedit works great for configs.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    shodown wrote: »
    I also have SecureCRT for MAC its 100 bucks, but works like a champ.

SecureCRT, worked best for me, if you are a student, you can get it for 20 bucks.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Agree with shodown and nerdydad, you can't beat SecureCRT!

On my MBP I use SecureCRT and iTerm2. I also have a Fusion VM with many of my other utilities in it such as Solarwinds Engineer Toolset, DCNM, Omnipeek, Visio, etc. as some software just doesn't run native on a Mac.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    i have macbook, and i do love to use "minicom" . it is free ;)
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I used SecureCRT to SSH to my console server, but if I have to console from MBP straight to my Cisco devices, I use Linux distro with minicom.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    minicom is available for macbook too since OSX is a unix flavor.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Glad to see so many Mac users here!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use MBPR at work and I have SecureCRT and iTerm2 installed. Gotta love iTerm2 especially when you're dealing with FEX's a lot. It allows you to issue commands on two screens simultaneously.

At home, I don't use my late 09 MBP a lot when labbing so I don't have anything installed. I can always use Terminal. If I need to console to a router/switch, I can always use screen command for that.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    Glad to see so many Mac users here!

The majority of the Cisco SE employees that I have met use a 15" MBP.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11