New CCNA /New to the forum.

Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

I recently passed the CCNA exam (2nd try....evil exam lol) and while researching info about the CCNP path I stumbled on this forum. From what I've read so far... wow... tons of great information all around.

I also noticed there were a few posts about being older and starting in IT. I'm retired Air Force with a construction background... starting over in a new direction at 41 has been interesting, challenging, and fun. At the community college in my Cisco/Linux classes... I would say 75% of my classmates were 35+ with many starting second careers. So, going back to school wasn't as nerve-wracking as I thought it would be. I do wish you all the best of luck no matter your age when it comes to your new career paths.

So.... what's next? After passing your CCNA exams..... did you decide to purse another CCNA level cert or are any of you working towards your CCNP? I'm a little stuck when it comes to which direction I should head. Chris Bryant has a very affordable course for the CCNP path. CBT nuggets isn't outrageous... Stormwind IT Training | Cisco Training, Microsoft Training Plus Many More Courses and Certifications in a Live, Engaging Format also offers classes but I think they are expensive. Any suggestions?

Any ideas to which direction might be better than the other? I was thinking about going after the CCNAS then start working on CCNP Route.

Well enough babble... just happy to have stumbled on this resource. :)

Hatch

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz on the pass!

Do you have a networking job currently? If so then I don't see why you shouldn't go for the CCNP.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats on your CCNA and welcome to the forum!!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Congratz on the pass!

Do you have a networking job currently? If so then I don't see why you shouldn't go for the CCNP.

Many thanks! No job at the moment... still in school...dual major... Cisco/Linux... went for the CCNA between the Fall and Spring break. I should finish school this summer. I want to continue on with Cisco... so... just need to figure out a direction and go for it.

Thanks again,
    Hatch
    MrBrian wrote: »
    Congrats on your CCNA and welcome to the forum!!

Many thanks! I appreciate it.
    Hatch
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Any suggestions?

Any ideas to which direction might be better than the other? I was thinking about going after the CCNAS then start working on CCNPRoute.

If you do the CCNA:Security, it won't hurt you at all, as you get to use all of those skills in the CCNP, anyway (at least, I see all of them in the CCNP Bryant material when it starts talking about Security.)

If you want solid, thorough training. I'd have to advise Chris Bryant. I have read Cisco SWITCH FLG, and Bryant's SWITCH book. Bryant's book is more thorough to me. I'm still going to go through Cisco's SWITCH Lab Manual though, as I want to be very rehearsed for the sims, LOL.

Also, at some point, you're going to end up purchasing equipment if you're going really hard core into this. To that end, I'd advise 3560 switches, if you must buy some switches (2 of these). Some community colleges offer Cisco Academy curriculum for CCNP. Have you looked into this?

Since you're retired AF, you might have access to a ".mil" e-mail address. If you do, then you may have access to UNLIMITED Safari Books Online through the DoD MWR program. Just sign up with your ".mil" e-mail address, to see if you have access.

You might also check if the Air Force has a Skillport Login site. (The Army has one, which has most professional-level certs on it, even including CCNP:Voice and CCNP:Security).

Also, DISA and VTE have training web sites, that you might be able to sign up for.

I prefer INE over CBT Nuggets, due to the 2-for-1 deal you can get from them, though I still advise reading through the texts, and not relying on their videos for any test.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello and welcome to TE.

It also sounds like you are getting exposure to Linux, you never know, you may like system administration better. Perhaps just concentrate on getting all your classes done and graduate.

Since the summer is around the corner, you may want to test the waters and start to apply for some jobs and see if you get any bites.
    instant000 wrote: »
    If you do the CCNA:Security, it won't hurt you at all, as you get to use all of those skills in the CCNP, anyway (at least, I see all of them in the CCNP Bryant material when it starts talking about Security.)

If you want solid, thorough training. I'd have to advise Chris Bryant. I have read Cisco SWITCH FLG, and Bryant's SWITCH book. Bryant's book is more thorough to me. I'm still going to go through Cisco's SWITCH Lab Manual though, as I want to be very rehearsed for the sims, LOL.

Also, at some point, you're going to end up purchasing equipment if you're going really hard core into this. To that end, I'd advise 3560 switches, if you must buy some switches (2 of these). Some community colleges offer Cisco Academy curriculum for CCNP. Have you looked into this?

Since you're retired AF, you might have access to a ".mil" e-mail address. If you do, then you may have access to UNLIMITED Safari Books Online through the DoD MWR program. Just sign up with your ".mil" e-mail address, to see if you have access.

You might also check if the Air Force has a Skillport Login site. (The Army has one, which has most professional-level certs on it, even including CCNP:Voice and CCNP:Security).

Also, DISA and VTE have training web sites, that you might be able to sign up for.

I prefer INE over CBT Nuggets, due to the 2-for-1 deal you can get from them, though I still advise reading through the texts, and not relying on their videos for any test.

Many thanks for all the info. I do not have a .mil account these days icon_sad.gif but... I have heard good things about Chris Bryant. I purchased his CCNA prep pdf but ended up using Todd Lammle's book instead. I think I'm going to sign up for the NP prep Bryant offers... for $99 looks like a good deal. I've thought about making the investment in gear as well... but... some of the local community colleges offer NP classes. I just need to relocate a little closer to them.. which I will do this summer.

When school is said and done.... I will have a few AAS degrees... the CCNA... and a BSIS in Tech Management. I have about a year or so to go before I'm finished. What concerns me when it comes time to look for work... is I will have all the education but ZERO real world experience. Not to mention ... I'm older... so... it should be an interesting journey. I'm thinking of interning or volunteering along the way just get a little experience before school is over.

I do appreciate all the feedback and I will give Chris a shot.

Thanks again,
    Hatch
    paul78 wrote: »
    Hello and welcome to TE.

It also sounds like you are getting exposure to Linux, you never know, you may like system administration better. Perhaps just concentrate on getting all your classes done and graduate.

Since the summer is around the corner, you may want to test the waters and start to apply for some jobs and see if you get any bites.

Many thanks :) I'll still be in school full time this summer... but I might just put something together if nothing more than to gain interview experience. I've never been on one... as strange as that sounds. I joined the Air Force right out of HS and never had to go through a real interview.

Linux.... well... I'm on the 3rd class of 5.... scripting and security will happen in a few weeks. I'm just not all that excited about Linux as I am with Cisco. But... I'm trying to learn all I can as I think it will be beneficial at some point. If nothing else... I will be familiar with it.... should help.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Hatch
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Hatch1921 wrote: »
    Many thanks :) I'll still be in school full time this summer... but I might just put something together if nothing more than to gain interview experience. I've never been on one... as strange as that sounds. I joined the Air Force right out of HS and never had to go through a real interview.

Linux.... well... I'm on the 3rd class of 5.... scripting and security will happen in a few weeks. I'm just not all that excited about Linux as I am with Cisco. But... I'm trying to learn all I can as I think it will be beneficial at some point. If nothing else... I will be familiar with it.... should help.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Hatch

Yes learning networking through Cisco is something a lot of us do. Also, knowing your way around Linux systems can be very beneficial and I'd say continue to learn as much as you can. I see a lot of jobs wanting Linux knowledge/experience.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    congratulation, you are kindly welcome to this forum
    MrBrian wrote: »
    Yes learning networking through Cisco is something a lot of us do. Also, knowing your way around Linux systems can be very beneficial and I'd say continue to learn as much as you can. I see a lot of jobs wanting Linux knowledge/experience.

I will continue on with Linux... it isn't horrible :) and I agree... I've seen several jobs wanting Cisco as the main focus but knowledge of Linux is a plus.

Hatch
    Thanks for the warm welcome.
    Hatch