Where to buy a home desk?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Hi, I was curious as to where you guy's buy your home desk? I'm looking at overstock.com, i dont really want a cheap looking desk somehing that will last, not L shape just a straight desk, looking to spend anywhere from 500-1000$

I would also like it to be a dark wood

thanks

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I went to IKEA but they won't have what you are looking for, I was looking for something minimalist.
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    HEMNES Desk - black-brown - IKEA

i saw this but i find ikea products too cheap and want something with a little more quality
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    When I was searching for my home desk. I wanted something easy to clean, that would hold a couple monitors. I didn't too much care for something wood.

My desk looks like this one.

Brenton Studio Evanti Collection Computer Tower

The only difference is that mine has the black metal, instead of silver.
    And also, I don't attach that shelf. It's a worthless piece to me, that just got in the way. So, instead of the shelf, I place my monitors atop it. Dual 20-inch, so they're slightly angled.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I've had my eye on this one for a long time... just got to be bothered to go get it.

MALM Desk - birch veneer - IKEA
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is what I use. It's a lot bigger than what it looks in the picture. I also bought a tv stand thing with it that I put a 32 inch tv on. Pretty big and spacious desk. I like it a lot.

GALANT Desk - white, T-leg, silver-colour - IKEA
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    But With 500-1000, you should be able to get something decent. I can't remember where I bought my office furniture but it is a Vermont furniture maker that is very similar to this.

I have something similar to this style:

Vermont Made Shaker Writing Table Desk | Handmade Wood Shaker Furniture

But in solid maple instead. And with matchng desks, hutch, filing cabinets, and book cases.

It seems expensive but it has lasted for the over 20 years.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think Sauder sells their desks at Walmart. I vaguely recall that they were not the best quality. I personally would buy from Ikea instead because for the same or better quality, you may find a better deal.

One thing you may want to consider - if you intend to mount monitors using desk mount, make sure that the edge of the desk will allow you clearance to add the mount clamps.
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    i think i will just get this one HEMNES Desk - black-brown - IKEA

its what im looking for and its not too expensive, i like saving money to much to spend more money right now
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    This is the desk that I'm looking at getting Dania - Desks - Sedona Desk-71
    It is pretty nice looking in person, I'm looking forward to getting it. Especially since it means I'll officially be able to move into my home office at that point. Been working off a card table for half a year now.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah I have had Sauder desks for years before I bought my desk at IKEA, well my desk is more a crafts desk but my wife and I wanted to save space in the computer room and I wanted less mess.

The thing with Sauder furniture is that I consider them "build in place don't bother keeping it when you move" because due to how they are held together they are not very forgiving when it comes to moving them. The moving company I used made me sign a no fault agreement for Sauder bookcases I had because any shift in them risked those metal bars inside the wood to break out.

So now a days I consider them something I use for the place I live in and be prepared to buy new ones if I have to do a big move to another city.