Options

SCCM 2012 SP1 installation problem

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Been trying to install SCCM 2012 SP1 beta in my home lab. Here's my current setup:

- A 2008 R2 DC/DNS server
- A 2008 R2 SP1 VM running SQL SP1 Standard Edition (full version, not eval) (machine name: sql.domain.local)
- A 2008 R2 SP1 VM on which I'm trying to install SCCM (machine name: SCCM.domain.local)

The error I get is:

What I've done:

- Extended AD schema
- Created a System Management container in the System container in AD and gave the sccm computer account full control
- Created an account called SMSadmin and gave it sysadmin rights in SQL. Also made it an admin on sccm.domain.local
- Verified the collation is set to what's required (double/triple checked)
- Checked that the SQL service account is a domain account
- Rebooted the entire environment
- Installed all the relevant roles, services and features required (you can see it passes all tests apart from the SQL test)

Anyone have ideas? Thanks.
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    I've also gone through the configmgrprereq log and it looks like it's trying to find SQL on the same VM I'm trying to install SCCM on. How the eff do I get to point the installer to the SQL VM?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did you actually look at the rights on the SQL instance? Even setting up a domain admin as the service account does not give you automatic admin rights on the instance.

Other than that I don't have much to add. I'm taking the official course on deploying 2012 in a couple weeks, so I'll add any insight I might learn then if you're still stuck.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Yeah, had a look at the rights. The account's a SQL sysadmin. Strangely enough, I just tried the SCCM install on the SQL server itself, and it has not given me any of those crazy errors I had on the other VM. But I now need SQL 2008 R2 CU6 to progress further.

So it looks like it was some kind of SQL access issue. Somehow the account I was using didnt have enough rights even though I made it an admin on the SQL server and gave it the sysadmin role.

@ptilsen, remember to install CU6 on your SQL server or it wont complete the SCCM install.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is a good step by step that I have been referring to for somethings. I believe it has the bit about SQL configuration in it too.

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 1. Installation - CAS - Configuration Manager 2012 - www.windows-noob.com

Here where I work though, the SQL server exist on the same server as SCCM as the default instance
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could try the following:
    1. make your "SMSadmin" account into a domain admin, verify PW and set to never expire (not best practice, but for the lab...)
    2. double-check to make sure it has sysadmin rights in the SQL server
    3. When you launch the setup, SHIFT+Right-Click it, "Run as a different user", choose "domain\SMSadmin", and resume the setup

Edit: Oh, you resolved it? Hehe oops
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)