study advice needed for CCNA

alphabanksalphabanks Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
Guys I want to get my ccna so far in my lab I have the below equipment

1 1841
2 2611XM
1 2520
3 2950 Switches with ES image

I will be using CBT Nuggets and Train Signal cbts. So I would like to know what all books do you guys suggest I purchase and I guess I'm looking for study advice on how to approach this cert.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Check out the stickies in this forum. They are full of great information to get you started.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • PsychoCiscoPsychoCisco Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What you have for your lab is enough for CCNA. I would recommend ICND1 and ICND2 (Cisco Press) Books by Wendell Odom. With those books use CBT nuggets videos and then use train signal to review at the end. That's what I did for my CCENT. Doing the same with ICND2.

Good Luck!
  • fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    book from todd lamme and exploration CCNA software, there rae great of information.
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Odom is great in depth study. The problem I had with Odom is he is quite dry. I only used his books if I knew for a fact that my depth of knowledge wasn't enough. Todd Lammles book is very good, but he has a tendency to break it down too barney style. It really is going to come down to preference. The only thing I can tell you is that there isn't a surefire way of studying for CCNA other than deep diving into the concepts, doesn't matter who you read or what you watch if you want CCNA your gonna need to study your butt off.

You can't go wrong with Odom or Lammle. I personally have both Odoms and Jeremy's CBTnuggets videos. Jeremy is much better imo at making the overall concept easy to understand, but that is me. These forums are loaded full of information on study materials, its up to you to choose which ones explain things the best for you.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • alphabanksalphabanks Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Guys I already have the below text books but they are not current for example one book is the second edition and the command guide is the first edition. Will these be ok or should I look at the books you all have suggested also am I missing out by not having the latest and greatest books? BTW the book that I've listed below was wrote by Steve McQuerry I've also read that Todd Lammle is not as dry as Odom.

CCNA Command Quick Reference (Cisco Networking Academy Program): Scott Empson: 9781587131592: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: CCNA Self-Study: Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices (ICND) 640-811, 640-801 (2nd Edition) (9781587051425): Stephen McQuerry, Cisco Systems Inc.: Books
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I have both Odom and Lammle's books, just finishing up Odom's. If I had to choose only one I'd go with Odom, but I'm glad I've read both. Odom's book seems to go into far greater detail and the material is presented and organized better. That being said I had to completely skip the subnetting section in Odom's book. I haven't mastered subnetting yet but I have a good foundation from Lammle's book. When I started to read the chapters on subnetting in Odom's book, it was not clicking for me with his method.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Now that you have your lab equipment setup, check out this thread on some great labbing info -

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/28660-ccna-ccent-home-lab-ideas.html

hth
  • ntheonentheone Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you taking the CCNA composite exam or the ICND1 and ICND2 exams?

I have taken ICND1 and now preparing for ICND2.

I have used and using , Odom books, CBT Nuggets and Train Signal videos.
  • alphabanksalphabanks Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most likely I will be leaning towards the ICND1 and ICND2 exams