Options

What's everyone up to?

danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
Not too long ago there were posts almost every day that someone passed the Security + Exam. What's going on out there? I have been busy studying, anyone passed the Sec+ recently? Any insight on the questions you've seen on the exam? icon_cool.gif
I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I will be taking mine later in February, it was the soonest I could schedule it in my area icon_mad.gif

I finished Darril Gibson's book in a couple weeks of light reading...got a 80/100 on the pretest, missed 1 on average for the chapter tests, then 93/100 on the final test so I feel pretty confident, just wish I could knock it out sooner!

On a side note, @Darril I enjoyed the book. It was a good read and had a few topics new to me as a systems administrator, but a lot of it was good review for the exam format. I spent the most time on the crypto chapter but I feel much better about it now!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Insight for questions? If Darril said "Study this" It's a good point to study that thing he pointed out in the book... Like ports. Every. Certification. Ports!

The book is rather outstanding in terms of delivery of the material, as well as the studying for the certification.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    I'm taking this exam tomorrow. Just brushing up on some weak spots until then....
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    BaackBaack Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am currently studying for sec plus

Pretty sure I wont take the test for some time

Good luck to you guys who are readyicon_lol.gif
  • Options
    TechBubbaTechBubba Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam yesterday and passed with an 812. I watched the Professor Messer videos while waiting for Darril's book to arrive and then read his book 1 chapter a day. After that, I waited a few days and then went back and reviewed the "Remember This" blurbs in the book and read the individual sections I felt I needed a bit more comprehension.

Definitely memorize your ports. Those are cut-and-dry questions you will just be throwing away if you have to guess.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
  • Options
    KeithJaggerKeithJagger Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed mine today, amigo...what are you up to? Having a drink right now to celebrate.
  • Options
    KeithJaggerKeithJagger Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TechBubba wrote: »
    I took the exam yesterday and passed with an 812. I watched the Professor Messer videos while waiting for Darril's book to arrive and then read his book 1 chapter a day. After that, I waited a few days and then went back and reviewed the "Remember This" blurbs in the book and read the individual sections I felt I needed a bit more comprehension.

Definitely memorize your ports. Those are cut-and-dry questions you will just be throwing away if you have to guess.

Agreed. The ports are a big part of the test (at least the test that I took) but nothing that you can't handle...I know I'm not supposed to give away the farm because I had a look at the exam but I can say that if you have Darril's book and study the ports (on page 148, I believe or around there) and know the protocols you'll be golden come exam time. There's a handful of questions that you'll need to know your ports, but don't sweat it...if you study, you'll pass.