Options

MCSA > MCSE Suggested learning paths?

aesthetics1aesthetics1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have my Network+ and A+, and I'm getting started on my MCSA > MCSE progression. Using some of the resources on this forum, Microsoft's TechNet, etc, I'm looking to prepare myself for the exams.

I have used books in the past for my CompTIA certs, but there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming selection for the current MCSA > MCSE progression (maybe it's too new still? or maybe I'm not looking hard enough). What is the best way to go about getting the knowledge required to pass the tests?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Have you passed the MCSA yet? If not, and you have no experience with Server 2008R2 or 2012 which ever you are talking about you are looking at probably a good 6+ months of study just to get the MCSA. I wouldn't worry so much about the path to the MCSE right now. If you are talking about the MCSE 2012 and not the MCSE 2003 which I don't think is even offered anymore, then in the time it takes you to pass the MCSA portion I am sure more books/study material will come out as it is still a new track.

FYI Microsoft has books out on the upgrade path. Also CBT Nuggets in currently in the works on videos for upgrading. Also Safaribooksonline has the Microsoft books if you don't want to purchase the physical books.
  • Options
    Right, I have a lot of experience working with server environments, about 5 years in the field managing customer networks/servers. I'm going to take the 3 MCSA tests first, and then work on an MCSE specialization (2 tests?). What is your recommended method of study for the MCSA tests?

Thanks.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Buy a book, some of the MS Press ones are out, setup a lab, and work through the exercises in the book. Maybe purchase a CBT for a 2nd source.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Any books you personally recommend?
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you are looking at getting the MCSA 2008 check out IT Free Training | Where free means free as it is a great free CBT site that goes through the 70-642 and 640. Also Check out ITDVDS.COM - IT Training as it doesn't cost that much for a monthly subscription and has a lot of videos for the MS stuff. CBT Nuggets is getting on the ball and getting the videos done for server 2012 as well.