Options

What jobs can I get with a Management Information Systems degree?

2»

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I wouldn't really say that a MIS degree isn't worth the money but rather it's not one that you're likely to see a huge return on right away.

More of an incremental return over time. Some established folks get a "backstop" out of it-- it keeps them from LOSING tons of money rather than making it. Why? So many even entry-level jobs nowadays require a bachelor's that if you should find yourself on the market unexpectedly, having the degree may make the difference between getting a job with similar pay to the last one or starving.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    I spoke with someone recentley who is a CSO ($$) and earned his BS in MIS. Stressed the importance of a BS and how useful it can be down the road, especially in his case, which is security. I didn't really have the chance to speak on HOW this person got his foot in the door right out of school, but he is young (<40). Multiple certs (CISM, PMP, CISA, CCSFP, CRISC, CIPP) which all seem higher/management level, which I somewhat scratch my head about considering his age. Seeing as he doesn't have really any entry level Comptia/MS certs I am going to venture a guess and say he probably didn't come from a very techy/desktop background.

This a defenitley the type of path that interests me, but if I could back and speak again I would probaby ask how not only he was able to gain the experience a lot of the certs require, but how he gained all of it at such a young age, and how he gained/did it so quickly.

It would seem an MIS degree is suited perfectley for these types of roles/certs, but as far as breaking into the PM/Auditing/Analyst industry at an entry level, without much experience, I can't seem to figure out HOW.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I wouldn't really say that a MIS degree isn't worth the money but rather it's not one that you're likely to see a huge return on right away.

This!!!!!

getting a masters or even a bachelors wont have as much value early in your career. But they give you significantly more value later in your career and the higher you get.
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Yeah, as someone who is about to graduate with a BSBA in MIS I can already feel the neither here nor there heat. But one advantage I have is that I can essentially apply to a variety of positions from general business to IT helpdesk and even entry level programming (i racked up a couple of OOP courses in MIS as part of my free electives). Its a very jack of all trades master of none type degree.

Burfect you're an inspiration as someone who is battling out his place in the world with this degree. Hopefully I can find a job soon as well.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Params7 wrote: »
    Yeah, as someone who is about to graduate with a BSBA in MIS I can already feel the neither here nor there heat. But one advantage I have is that I can essentially apply to a variety of positions from general business to IT helpdesk and even entry level programming (i racked up a couple of OOP courses in MIS as part of my free electives). Its a very jack of all trades master of none type degree.

Burfect you're an inspiration as someone who is battling out his place in the world with this degree. Hopefully I can find a job soon as well.

PM me. i may have something that may be a fit for you.
  • Options
    hellolinhellolin Member Posts: 107
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    A lot of bigger companies have roles sort of like what you may be looking for. They are usually called something like, IT Relationship Manager, Client Relationship Manager, IT Service Manager, etc.

Basically, these are people with some tech and some business skills. They usually provide feedback back to the business (IT) on what the users would like, create "relationships" with the users, etc. Look up some job descriptions and see if that sort of thing is up your alley.

In scrum terms this role is called the "product manager", someone who understand how an IT team works on a certain project but also knows that the customer needs.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Jock also a clearance which is greater than any certification.
  • Options
    harshachirravuriharshachirravuri Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello ,

i am an international F-1 student in USA, i have done my bachelors in Electronics and Computer Engineering , and i have presently completed my first semester as a masters student in computer science branch , and now i would like to switch my field to MS-IS in Information security at Devry University ,

and parallel to pursuing MS-IS i would like to take up the certifications in few areas of it programming like JAVA etc .. would that add any extra score for the future job prospects .

can anyone suggest me whether this would be a considerable option (and i am a fresher with no work experience ) .
  • Options
    petron3030petron3030 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am about start a MIS degree on Monday and from previous threads it sounds like I need to change. I am taking a few classes towards programming this spring and already have a degree in psychology. I've been working for many years in different environments (accounting asst to apartment manager). Is there any advice to some certifications I can get and where I can get info on them that might help me when I finish up my degree in the fall hopefully?
  • Options
    RightawayRightaway Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a telecoms network designer with over 18 years of designing, estimating, implementing projects in fiber optic, copper on the outside plant network and LANs for businesses etc, I love technology but I see myself switching to an IT manager or heading a telecoms/ IT company in the near future, I am interested in software engineering and getting IT certifications in the mix. Presently I am a telecoms network consultant. However I want to consolidate my experience and skills with an IT degree cause that's where the world is heading. I would like to know which IT degree would be the better choice for me between a BSc Computing and Information Systems and BSc Information Systems and Management both degrees can be done online from the University of London.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have an AA in computer applications (from years ago..cough, cough). It is from good bosses in the past that helped me in a variety of job skills (network management -> database management) that further enhanced my skills. Sometimes, that is the way to go (to have bosses who see the forest through the trees, so to speak).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    DHarris75DHarris75 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As a recent BS IFMS degree grad, I can tell you that my degree helped me achieve my goal. I was hired on as a Project Manager for an Oracle Professional Service company.

IFSM/MIS - they are about managing. They give you a rounded view of IT and business so that you can manage resources, projects, and IT hardware/services. They are not meant to prepare you to be a programmer - the degree is meant to prepare you to manage programmers. It is possible to start out with these degrees as a junior PM - but generally you need some experience in some area of IT to really use the degree.

For me, I had 20 years in the USAF in IT. First as a satellite long-haul comm tech, then more into IP networking, and finally as a project manager/program manager. At each level, my level of responsibility increased and I was managing workcenters. My degree taught me programming (Java), security assessments, system design, system analysis, etc.

So for me, I was able to market myself as having 20 years hands-on experience as a manager and PM for the USAF in Networking, coupled with a degree in IFSM that provided me a well-rounded view of IT within in an organization and how it can support business processes. Then I was able to tie the two themes together to target IT Project Management Positions.

Now, I've been moved into the delivery side of things and I help to manage about 100 developers supporting projects. I work with the PMs, HR, and our sales folks to ensure we have the right developers to support our endeavors.

So IFSM is not a worthless degree - but it prepares you to manage IT - not develop IT. You take some technical classes just to give you some background. For me, knowing Java to a degree (3 semesters) helps me sit in the room with some very smart EXPERT Java folks, and guide discussions with customers who need services - and I can listen to both the clients and the developers and not be "lost". I can even help bridge that gap when the developers start talking to deep and start listing out libraries and classes. But I would never market myself as a Java programmer. I would way too far behind some of these kids that live and breathe code. I also took a lot of Database classes (Oracle Based), and even Oracle DB Administration. But as well as I understand Database design/theory - I want to manage the developers - not actually write SQL scripts.

If you have an IFSM degree and not sure what to do - look at Project Management. Google PMI and pursue the CAPM or the PMP. A lot of IT Managers and CIOs were once PMs.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't get down on the CIS/MIS, it doesn't matter one bit unless you are applying for a "true" engineer position, by the strictest definition of an engineer (not the more generic terms like systems engineer, etc).

Seriously, there are tons of people that have successful IT careers without any degree or a degree that is completely unrelated (such as Music or Theology). I have worked with a CCIE that was a Music major and a Computer Network Defense engineer that was a Theology major.

You need experience... and that is more important that what your major is (so long as you have that checkbox for the undergrad degree). My recommendation for anyone that is currently in school (as soon as freshman year) is start looking for a job doing what you think you will want to do. The job experience is going to make much more of a difference than your major. So, start off with an entry-level job as soon as possible and by the time you graduate you will have a degree and a few years of experience which will put you in a really good situation.

Now for OP and others that haven't done this (and I am afraid that a couple weeks of internship don't amount to a whole lot), you are going to have to settle for entry-level jobs. That is just the way it works. Start off working for smaller companies ~100+ employees and attempt to focus on the areas you prefer, but that will be difficult because you will be expected to handle everything; which is GREAT experience.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_rolleyes.gifLook guys, The MIS degree is an excellent degree to have in your possession. Some folks may love working technical but personally and based on what i've seen in industry, people in management get more respect and a higher pay. Yeah we know technical people have all the expert tricks yadda yadda but when you reach about age 50, do you really still want to be renewing certs? Seriously, it will eventually come a point where you will have so much experience that you would be forced into management. I am pursing an MS in MIS and after that, MBA. Yes it is very broad in IT but one must not forget the fundamental of this degree, that being management. Another factor is certs, use the certs along with that degree to steer you. I rather have a broad degree and use certs to steer me, than to have a narrow degree and try to broaden myself with certs (you'll have a trail of certs behind your name which will scare the employer because of the value or each OR you'll be pissed that you aren't receiving what you wanted because you expected a certain salary for all that hard technical work). The degree is highly respected in corporate, no ifs ands or buts about it. You never know where you will end up and you may just want a change. Go on linked in, you'll see senior executives with MBA's and MS, very few certs. Less is more my friend and degrees will give you that step up.icon_cheers.gif

So here's the thing, you have Techs and you have Managers. Your choice. All i'm saying is, if you are looking to be a CIO, CEO, SVP or the like in WHATEVER industry in these days and time, you better have a degree unless you are an entrepreneur. But hey don't take my word for it, research the facts.icon_cool.gif
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup: