How do I put preparing a certification on one's resume?

S1lentPh3nomS1lentPh3nom Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm currently studying for my CCNA, I'm going the ICND1/2 route. I'm also a senior in college applying for jobs. I plan on taking my exams in March/April respectively, and I feel confident about passing them since I've seen the material quite a bit during my time in college and during my self studies.

I am currently applying for jobs for after my graduation and I want to make myself more marketable. How do I list that I am currently pursuing my CCNA on my resume?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank You

Comments

• TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    I'm a Final year student in the UK and I've asked this question before (to other professionals that is). This is an answer based on their experience.

If you have a Cert, put it on your resume. If you don't have it then leave it off. You CAN however bring up the knowledge in an interview. If questioned on it you CAN say 'Well I'm currently studying for....' but never write that on a resume.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I usually put it on my resume, but i state that I am active. So when I put down the years I graduated high school and what not. I will like:

High School: 2007
    MCITP: 2012 - Present

So far it's been really beneficial to me doing that way. It is a bit of a conversational start. But if you haven't got any of the cert, not even a test booked, probably not worth it.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I ALWAYS list certs I'm working on in my resume, and I seem to *always* be asked about them during interviews, so that's a good thing. I usually list them as such:

Certifications:

-CCNA
    -CCNP
    -CCXX (In-progress, exam scheduled for X/X/XXXX)

Alternately, you can put "exam tentatively scheduled.." if you don't have it scheduled, but have a rough idea of when you'll be sitting the exam.
  • DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you feel the need to include it on your resume before having finished the cert I would put something along the lines of:

CCNA Certification Study In Progress - 80% Complete
  • TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    I'm going against the grain here but EVERY professional I've EVER asked has said NEVER mention a certification on a CV that you don't own. They continually get applications from people who are "99% there to a CCNA" and yet have Zero to show for it. For every 1 person who is legitimate there are 10 who are nowhere near.

I've NEVER known not having a certification (unless it's required) to be grounds for denying anyone an interview, but saying you're almost there has been explained to me as having negative feelings.

If someone who has been in the position to hire anyone at CCNA level or above disagrees with me then that's fine but anyone in that position i've asked says don't list it without the
    I was the hiring manager in my previous position, and responsible for hiring/management of a large network team. It's acceptable here (in the U.S.) to state you are working on a certification. It's no different than stating you are working on your degree. Would you not put that you are 3 years into your 4 year bachelors degree? Of course you would!

This is why I recommend putting it, but putting something tangible to prove you're on your way- ideally a scheduled date of your exam.

Of course your mileage may vary, this is just based on my experience.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TehToG wrote: »
    I'm going against the grain here but EVERY professional I've EVER asked has said NEVER mention a certification on a CV that you don't own. They continually get applications from people who are "99% there to a CCNA" and yet have Zero to show for it. For every 1 person who is legitimate there are 10 who are nowhere near.

I've NEVER known not having a certification (unless it's required) to be grounds for denying anyone an interview, but saying you're almost there has been explained to me as having negative feelings.

If someone who has been in the position to hire anyone at CCNA level or above disagrees with me then that's fine but anyone in that position i've asked says don't list it without the

I agree, I wouldn't put anything on the CV that I don't have whether its a cert, experience, skill .etc. You can talk about the certificates that you working on during the interview.
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I would never put a cert in progress on my CV. I could be CCNP certified and say in progress to become CCIE. It could take months, years though to actually achieve it.
    And it takes up space on the page, space which can be used for something I do have!
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    oli356 wrote: »
    I would never put a cert in progress on my CV. I could be CCNP certified and say in progress to become CCIE. It could take months, years though to actually achieve it.
    And it takes up space on the page, space which can be used for something I do have!

Yet you put CCNP Switch in your certifications signature.. haha

Ok ok, so maybe your CV and forum sig aren't quite the same thing icon_wink.gif
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I've achieved switch though, would I put it on my cv though? Probably not as the NP consists of the 3 exams.

I think I would put IE written on though as its still an achievement and a lot of people have written but not lab :)
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    If you put down CCNP:Switch and currently working on CCNP:Voice than that can show that you are keen to up your skills and continue to grow. However, I don't see a point of putting Currently working on CCNA if you don't have anything before that.

So for me, I won't actually list MSCA:SA until I have obtain the 70-640 and then I would put it as

MCITP: 2011 - Present

70-640 Completed
    70-642 Test Scheduled
    70-646 Yet to be Completed.

Something like that. This would then show the employer that you are goal set, and that you are following through. Shows more traits than just being certified for that position. For them to see you list the Completed and the future goals you have lined out, allows them to think about your being a goal setter to move up in the world.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
    As a hiring manager, I called several individuals BECAUSE they were working on certain certifications..we knew we could hire them, pay less than is budgeted for the position (they don't hold the cert yet!), and they could get a healthy raise once they attain the cert..and we'd still be under budget for that particular position. If they hadn't put it on their resume, they wouldn't have gotten a call from me.
  • phalxphalx Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Mrock4. However, I would only list the cert in progress on my resume if I had previously attained other certs. It shows the employer that you set goals and keep them. They have no reason to doubt that you will continue to do this.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    List it if it applies