New to forum need som help

shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
Hello all!

A little about myself, I have a BS in Information Technology but no prior work experience in IT. I am finding it difficult to land a desktop support type of job so I decided to start studying in order to get A+ certified.

My question is would my Bachelors and the A+ help me land a job even though I have no prior work experience besides fixing family and friend's computers? And what cert would be good to go after next ? From what I have read on here N+ would be the one I should be shooting for next?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
2017 Goals:
Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]

Comments

• Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can get a job with no experience, but it will probably be working for a really small company and won't pay very well. That's just to start out, of course.

As far as your next cert, I'm in a similar position and have been considering that myself. I'm halfway done with A+ and I'm already thinking about what to do next. I'm torn between Linux+ and Win 7.
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    That is what I am looking for, just to get some experience under my belt. But it seems that most desktop support jobs want at least 1-2 years of prior experience.

Any reason why you are leaning towards Linux+ and Win 7 instead of the N+? Which seems is what most people on here pursue after their A+.
    2017 Goals:
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Eventually, I'll take the ICND 1 + 2. I've read other posts elsewhere that say the Cisco certs are more valuable than the Network+ cert. CompTIA is changing it, though.

In the meantime, I'm considering obtaining one of those others because I think they demonstrate skills that companies value without requiring a high level of security clearance. In other words, I think it'll be easier to get in with a broad range of basic computer skills and certifications.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ShyGuyIT, I think A+ certification is definitely a step in the right direction. At your level I'd say Network+ and Windows desktop certs would be a good next step. The Cisco certs are worthwhile, but in the scheme of things - in my experience - more than likely you'd likely be hired for mostly desktop support. However, most desktop techs I know that continue to move forward in their careers get knowledgeable of the networks in their facility, punch down some cables, handle some wireless, etc. So, Network+ and Cisco certs should definitely be something to see in your future.

I started in IT about 14 years ago after a few years working in home healthcare as a tech (not really tech support, more customer training and customer service). I had a BA in English and an AAS in Computer Science, but no real desktop experience. I hunted for a while, but finally found a full-time job in desktop support. However, my first boss hired me because he said he could tell I could handle the customer service. As he stated "I find customer service is either there or isn't. The IT side I can teach you." At that time I'd not heard of A+, but had to get it within 3 months of hire, and did. So, your first IT job won't just be about your education and computer experience, it could also be about skills and experience in other work you already have.
    @Michael2 I see, seems like a good plan. I will definately look into the Cisco certs as well thanks.

@germcode That is what I am begging to notice, I work full time and use most of my free time to study for the A+. Not much time leftover to freelance but if things don't pan out after my A+ I will certainly look into it thanks.

@ThePawofRizzo Thanks for the advice I think I will go A+, N+ or Cisco cert, followed by a Windows cert maybe Windows 7 like Michael2.
    2017 Goals:
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I'm curious. Are you able to get interviews? One thing that job postings often do is list a dream list of job qualifications but they aren't really required. In other words, if a job posting says experience is required, apply anyway. If you get the interview and they ask about your experience tell them about your experience fixing family and friend's computers. If you demonstrate during the interview that you're able to get along with people, you're willing and able to learn, you should be able to get an entry level job.

A BS without an IT job history might make it difficult to get interviews. However, a BS with some certs should get you some interviews.

That said, I say that the A+ is an excellent start and a Network+ is a good next choice. They build on each other and show hiring managers that you have a good foundation of current knowledge. Also, they are vendor neutral so you can use the knowledge in most IT jobs. As you build experience and move up in your career, vendor specific certifications become more valuable. However, for an entry level job the CompTIA certs are valuable.

Hope this helps.
    I have not been able to land any interviews yet. I am planning to be A+ certified by the end of the month, hopefully that will help me get a few calls for some interviews. Thank you for your feedback I will definitely go for the N+ after the A+.
    2017 Goals:
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Why not consider volunteering at some non-profits, your church, local schools, local organizations etc... Through this process you gain some experience, but also the ever important networking skills (not the IT kind) and you may just impress the right person to get you in for an interview some place.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    I am currently employed full time but I will definitely look to see if I can volunteer during the weekend thank you.
    2017 Goals:
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Evenings, weekends, lunch break... When we want things in life, we find all sorts of 'spare' time. FWIW we are talking 6-18 months, not the rest of your life to catch a break...once you have the break, then it is yours to make it or lose it. And if lost, try again.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    I agree 100% Plantwiz I will make time to volunteer in order to get ahead in what I hope eventually will become a career as a Network Engineer. Thank you very much.
    2017 Goals: