January goal - CEH

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
Hello All,

My January goal is getting through the CEH since it's part of my course studies at WGU. I bought the AIO CEH book off Amazon since it has high reviews and I'm going to focus on my usual one chapter a day approach. WGU also provided the EC-Council training videos and lab so I think I'll spend about a week on each of them and hopefully be ready for the test by the end of the month. Anyone else have any feedback on the AIO book or the EC-Council training materials so I know which ones to pay more attention to?

Thanks!
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AIO will do it. Don't **** on the tests.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think the AIO is pretty good.

Do you have a lab to practice the tools such as wireshark or nmap on?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck with the exam. The material is very broad and gives you a nice perspective on tools and concepts related to this field of security.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    She has a great grasp on Security as you can see from her credentials
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Iristheangel - I am sure you shouldn't have a problem with the CEH.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I also need to knock this one out myself this month. Good luck on the test!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck Iristhangel, way to get me motivated! Like everyone else said you should do great given your creds!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the CEH exam a few years after taking the CISSP. It's a very easy exam in comparison. The AIO book is all you need. I casually read the book over the course of 3 weeks. I then took one week to get more comfortable with some of the syntax of various tools and to study some practice questions. I'd say a month is very reasonable to pass this test. If you had enough time to devote, I'm sure you could pass it within a week or two.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Today I finished the AIO CEH book. I'm now moving onto the EC-Council videos. The guy training this reminds me of a high school gym teacher reading off a teleprompter. Yawn. Labbing should be more fun. I have access to the EC-Council virtual lab and I'm forcing myself to use my BackTrack laptop for everything
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really wouldn't worry too much, you'll knock this one out of the park. Syntax of commands and the shear number of questions was the hardest parts of this exam.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looking forward to seeing how you do - this is a potential cert for me this year.
    I already finished the book and am just labbing at this point. I plan on taking the exam in the next couple of weeks. I've just been too slammed with work to take the practice exam and schedule the real one. It was a fun and easy exam to study for!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Show off. :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Nerd :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Yeah I finished up the AIO book this last weekend, working on the CBT nuggets vids right now. Doing what labs I can on my desktop, as my server decided to kick the bucket. Have my test scheduled for the 9th actually.
    The EC-Council lab environment that WGU provides is pretty good too. I might play around with it longer once the test is over
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Wow I had totally forgotten about that, i'll check those out when I have a free minute. Thanks for the memory jog!
    I scheduled the test for next weekend. I would have preferred to do it this weekend but it took Pearson Vue awhile to get me my login and I had to deal with a major planned outage this weekend so I was working from 3PM to 4AM. Overall, I'd say that studying for this certification was a breeze. In my opinion, the material was as easy to get through as a CompTIA exam (not a compliment) and I can definitely see why people don't see this exam as reputable. I really believe that they should waive the experience requirements for this exam because this is definitely entry-level material and I think after 2 years in the security field, you have a lot more going for you than these credentials.

That's just my two cents. I used the AIO book and the iLabs from EC-Council that were provided to me by WGU. I'm almost 100% sure I will have this exam passed by this time next week.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Yeah the AIO and the iLab stuff is pretty simple stuff, i'm watching the CBT nuggets videos just as a way to pass some time. I should have scheduled for this weekend vs next, but i've got some project stuff I have to follow up on over the weekend. Good luck on the test, i'm sure you've got it.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck on the test Iris and Hypntick.

I am looking forward to reading about your thoughts on the exam and its relevancy to real life.
  • HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    Good luck Iris.

I'll be reading the book probably within the next 2 - 3 weeks. I've been a BackTrack fan for a while and I'm very familiar with the tools. Hopefully it will not be as painful as the CISSP.
    Passed CEH today. Pretty easy stuff
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Damn girl, you killing 'em certs hey...Congratulations icon_cheers.gif
    I can see why some people get a little disillusioned with the exam when it's over. Overall, I would say that the difficulty level is near beginner for this exam. It's harder than the CompTIA Security+ but not as hard as the CompTIA Linux+ (if that makes sense). It requires a level of knowledge when it comes to syntax and being able to recognizes some basic things (SQL, unicode, etc) but not enough to solve a complex hack.

If anyone is looking for a nice credential and a career n00b (at least 2 years of experience), then this credential might look good to give you a leg up. If you're looking to gain some real knowledge, I'd say go after the Offensive Security certifications. To pass those certifications, you have to actually be able to apply the knowledge and there are no multiple choice questions.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Iris,

Congratulations on passing the exem. I am sorry that I did not warn you in advance of the exam. I have been a little busy on this side of the keyboard.

Regards,
    Bigdogz
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    It's harder than the CompTIA Security+ but not as hard as the CompTIA Linux+ (if that makes sense).

I'll be getting Sec+ soon (I anticipate it being rather easy) and was looking at the C|EH so I picked up a book to read through...it seems to be of 1.25x increased difficulty over the Sec+ as it goes just a tad deeper on concepts and mentions specific tools.

I do have the Linux+ and given I just started working with linux when I took the exams, it is by virtue of its uncommonness harder than Sec+ so I agree with what you're saying icon_wink.gif

Also congrats on earning the cert!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    Congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif I had a feeling that the level of depth was fairly shallow overall. I am testing this Saturday, looking forward to it.