Smashed the Net+ today 900/900

Comments

• fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
  • JayBliskJayBlisk Member Posts: 182
    @ ghoul Thanks! Good luck on your exam! I'm taking my Sec+ in two weeks. I started reading Darril Gibson's book today and so far it has been a good read. @ fadhil Thanks a lot!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ghoulghoul Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's legit. I have a similar plan, going to buy Darril's book probably the day I take the Net+ and then try to get it in a month. Does his book come with an e book version or practice tests?
    @ ghoul No it doesn't come with an ebook but it does have practice test in his book. Good luck bro!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Jay

I think 680 and 686 would far greater benefit you than Security + considering the track you mentioned.

If you knocked those two out you would be set for quiet a while, those are strong certifications to hold. Add A+ and N+, which you hold, you should be in excellent shape to land a service desk gig.

Starting on the desk is a great idea and that MCSA 2008 should get you some visibility once you gain connections and experience on the desk.

I wouldn't bother with Security + to be honest. It's good for some folks, but working in a private sector environment the MCSA comes in much stronger than Security +.

***Keep in mind I am very cost averse so if I can avoid spending the money I will do my best. Security + exam cost ~250 and I believe MS exams are 150 each. For 50 more dollars you could get the MCSA 2008, far more value IMO. Not to mention you get the second shot which gives you some cushion in case you fail the exam.
    @ N2IT Thank you for your advice. I already have the 70-680 book so I will drop reading the sec+ book. I have read four chapters of the sec+ book and most of it seemed to be a repeat of the Network+. Do u have any recommendations on a 70-686 book? Thanks again for your advice!!!! Was gonna give u some more rep but I have to spread the love around more first:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jay anytime

I would swing on over to the Windows 7 forum on techexams. They will have all that information for you there.

Keep us posted on your successes!
    @ N2IT gotcha. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for your help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Nice score!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
    NOLAJ Thanks brother
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jbartolomejbartolome Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had a friend that let me borrow a Net+ book CompTIA Network+ Exam Cram N10-004 third edition by Harwood. I'm wondering if that is sufficient enough to get my studying going?

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Network-N10-004-Exam-Cram/dp/0789737965/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359576152&sr=1-4&keywords=comptia+network%2B+n10-004
    @ jbartolome Sure most the material will be the same except for maybe some OS stuff. If you can get some more recent practice exam questions and professor Messers videos, they are free. Good luck brother
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey JayBlisk congrats on pass btw. I'm taking my Network+ this coming Saturday 2/9. I'm just concerned about the performance based questions but you discussed that earlier which helps a lot. If you can, any particular areas you found occuring frequently (without breaking No Disclosure Agreement, Ex: wireless networking concepts or memorizing wireing like 10BaseT stuff like that? I hate memorizing that stuff allout.gif)
    @kMastaFlash know how to configure access points, know wiring diagrams and know cli on ipconfig. Good luck brother. I have read that some people don't even have simulated questions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    If you're this confident, forget the CompTIA stuff and go all out. CCNA/JNCIA or bust!!!!!!

I've never seen anyone give two sh-ts about any CompTIA past the junior level
    @wintermute000 I couldn't agree more. I'm studying for my MCSA certs right now. I started reading the Sec+ book and it was too easy it seemed like a repeat of the last two Comptia certs I did. I will do the Sec+ later for my CE credits. I plan on doing my CCNA in 2014.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Great score!icon_thumright.gif
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    N2IT wrote: »
    I would pass on the Project + certification. It's one I wish I had never done. If you are interested I would take a course on project management at the local community college or university. If that isn't an option look for a course on line. This will teach you the theory while integrating the real world how to. It will also help get you to the point where you will be able to sythesis the knowledge and apply it to every day situations.

Congrats on the pass Jay, nice score. And I apologize if I'm hijacking your thread ;)

N2IT, I'm curious to know why you think the Project+ has so little value? I'm a recent graduate with an entry level IT job and am interested more in project management than IT. I was originally exposed to project management in a course at my university. How would you suggest I break into project management? I'm currently pursuing the CCENT because the material is fresh in my head having just taken a networking class at the university. After obtaining the CCENT, how would you proceed? I've come up with a few different routes but I'm not really sure I know how to proceed..

The way I see it I could continue down the networking path and hope to fall into PM somehow, I could get a broad IT base (for instance pursue a Microsoft, Linux, security, and virtualization cert) and hope to fall into PM, or I could study Project+, CAPM, maybe MS Project/Excel etc and hope to fall into PM that way.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
    If you are going for the CCENT I would follow up with the CCNA and then reevaluate. The CCNA is an excellent certification to have and could be leveraged into an infrastructure project role especially if you performed networking work for 1 - 2 years.

That would be my advice to you. Finish up the NA and try to get a tech role for at least 1 year maybe 2 and then transition on.
    @NOLAJ Thanks bro! @krjay No worries. I did a PMPclass about four years ago when I was working for D.R. Horton. Good luck and listen to N2IT he knows his stuff. @N2IT Thanks again bro for your help!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    900/900. You call that smash ? That's a murder case, bro. Anything you say will be used against you at the.....

Congratulations Bro. icon_cheers.gif
    Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
    Up Next: CCNP
    Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
    And Umm: CCNP Voice
    @danstar Lmbo thanks bro! Studying my butt off for the 70-680 right now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    Great. I have no doubt you'll smash that too. Good luck bro
    Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
    Up Next: CCNP
    Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
    And Umm: CCNP Voice
  • BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    Jay, I am working on my Network+ atm.

May I ask what study method that you used to obtain such a high score?
    @Betrayal I used the Network+ N10-005 exam cram book, the test questions in the book and the test questions on the included CD. Also professor Messer videos and I did 4 out of the 7 exams about tweleve years ago for the MCSE. I got my general contractors license and just stopped studying for the MCSE. I have always been exposed to computer since I was a child. I remember when the internet was just BBS's which is Bulletin Board Service. You had to dial into the service and you could play cheesy games. I remembered all the dos commands which has helped dramatically on all my studies so far. Really I think you just have to have a passion for it and you will do well. Good luck and if u study hard you will do well. Make ways in your mind that work for you to remember things you need to know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Betrayal you will do fine. The test truly isn't that hard. Oh and this site has helped a ton. Lots of good people on here willing to help. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jcatrujillanojcatrujillano Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @jcatrujillano Thanks a lot!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Smashing the 70-680 labs yeeeaahhh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JayBlisk wrote: »
    Thanks Darril! Reading ur book now!

What He Said