Options

Phone Boot Up Process

At what stage does the phone download firmware files?

As I understand, it boots up, gets VLAN Info from Switch. DHCP Request returns Option 150 with TFTP Server address. Downloads the config file from TFTP server.

Where does the firmware files come into the equation?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just after that I'd think. For CUCM and CUCME it would do a comparison between the current firmware load, and the load being offered from the TFTP server. So it needs to have a TFTP server address first.

You also need to be aware that sometimes you have to go through an intermediate load to get to the one desired.

As an example, upgrading from say firmware v6 to v8, you need to v6 to v7 to v8, not direct v6 to v8 (example only).
  • Options
    controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    If I wanted to put the firmware files on a different TFTP server because the link to the CUCM was slow, what is the way to do this?

I don't want the actual firmware files going across the WAN link due to the slow speed. (The phone is registering to a remote CUCM). I'd like to put the firmware files local to the site where the phone is physically at.

As I understand the Phone still needs to contact the CUCM to register and receive it's config file, but how do I get it to look for the actual Firmware files in a different location after this?
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Firmware upgrades are usually an infrequent occurance and could be done out of hours after the remote site. As once they are at your current version, thats it they aren't going to need to upgrade again soon, or if the phones are coming from your central site, update them before sending them out (probably easiest).

However, you could put a CUCM subscriber there and run it as a TFTP server and call processor (additional license costs for the extra node), or extract the firmware files from CUCM and place them on the local router and fail over to CUCME as SRST to force the firmware upgrade using the router as a TFTP server.