Question for Darril

OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
Darril,

I read your book(great book) and have went through the majority of professor messer's videos. I scored a 91/100 on the end of book practice exam and I averaged 1-2 questions incorrect at the end of each chapter. I am going to spend the rest of this week studying through the week, and then I plan on taking the test early next week. How close are your questions to the actual exam? Additionally, do you have any advice on anything else I can prepare for in the interim?

Comments

• dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Don't rely on how well you do on practice questions to truly gauge how prepared you are. I was literally acing the practice tests I took and I scored an 829 on the test and there were a few questions that had me stumped. You need to be sure you know all of the material that is listed in the objectives that CompTIA has on their site.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    For me, I know that if I just go through practice test questions a few times, it becomes easy to memorize the correct answer without even trying.

With that in mind, one thing I like to stress with practice test questions is that you should take the time to read the explanations and ensure you understand the content. Ideally, you should be able to look at any question and know why the correct answer is correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. This way, no matter how CompTIA words the questions, you'll be able to answer them incorrectly.

dbrink gives good advice about looking at the objectives. At the beginning of the book (page icon_cool.gif, you'll find the CompTIA objectives listed for the Security+ exam. This listing also shows specifically what chapter(s) cover the objective so if anything isn't clear, you'll know what chapter you can go to and review the material.

Looking back at your original post (http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/85683-my-strategy-passing-security-plus.html), it sounds like your studies are going well. Congrats. You might also like to review the blog on performance based questions mentioned in that thread. It's been updated and other readers have posted comments.

Good luck.
  • KeithJaggerKeithJagger Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Big D (Darril, obviously)...do you have a Server+ and an A+ study book like your Sec+? I haven't looked on Amazon yet...but I'll buy both.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @OmniMan - I don't know how close the practice questions in Darril's book match the actual CompTIA exams but I do know that the material in the book closely matches the exam objectives. I remember reading about two particular concepts that I found only in Darril's book and both came on the exam - I can't say what they were due to the NDA but you can't go wrong with Darril's book. icon_thumright.gif
    Darril wrote: »
    This way, no matter how CompTIA words the questions, you'll be able to answer them incorrectly.
    icon_lol.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    @KeithJagger, I haven't written a Server+ book but I have done a couple of A+ books for Microsoft Press. The styles are different because they are written for another publisher. The A+ Training Kit (Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Training Kit (Exam 220-801 and Exam 220-802) (9780735662681): Darril Gibson: Books) is over 1000 pages and goes deep into the objectives. The A+ Rapid Review (CompTIA A+ Rapid Review (Exam 220-801 and Exam 220-802): Darril Gibson: 9780735666825: Amazon.com: Books) is a focused review book and is in the last stage of editing.

Is A+ next for you?
  • KeithJaggerKeithJagger Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    @KeithJagger, I haven't written a Server+ book but I have done a couple of A+ books for Microsoft Press. The styles are different because they are written for another publisher. The A+ Training Kit (Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Training Kit (Exam 220-801 and Exam 220-802) (9780735662681): Darril Gibson: Books) is over 1000 pages and goes deep into the objectives. The A+ Rapid Review (CompTIA A+ Rapid Review (Exam 220-801 and Exam 220-802): Darril Gibson: 9780735666825: Amazon.com: Books) is a focused review book and is in the last stage of editing.

Is A+ next for you?

Yes, it is. My intention was to take it months ago, but I didn't do it. I have a voucher that I need to use and have to knock out my A+ and Server+....I will pick up the Rapid Review for sure...your Sec+ book was outstanding and give my endorsement to all of my fellow classmates. What's on the horizon for you, Darril? I'm going to take my CCENThere soon as well and was hoping you had a book out for that....judging by how well the Sec+ book worked for me I'll be curious as to what you put out in the future. I know I sound like an ass kisser, but the book was a fantastic resource and put me over the top come exam time. Huge fan, could you autograph my Sec+ book? Ha ha...joking around but you put out a great study guide. Thanks, D.
    @KeithJagger, Thanks for the kind words. It was good to hear you liked the book and it helped you pass. Sorry, but I don't have any Cisco books out. As far as what's on the horizon for me, I'm finishing up some projects, attending some training, and working on plans to get my new book "You Can Do Anything - Three Simple Steps to Success for Graduates" (You Can Do Anything: Darril Gibson: 9781939136077: Amazon.com: Books) into the hands of as many students and graduates as I can. I strongly believe this book can help a lot of people get ahead in their lives whether they pursue a career in IT or something else.

Good luck with the A+.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just bring up Darills name on Amazon and there's 7 pages of books (a few videos even). 3 of the 6 books I keep handy are his Windows 7, Server 2008, and Exchange 2010 Command Guides (these are more useful than Google IMHO). The exchange is just for home use since I don't do any exchange work except when I get around to playing with it at home on my server.
    I'll have to admit the only book of his I have that I have actually taken the exam on is his Server 2008 (actually several books on this) 1 , 2 ,3 and I also have his 2008 server admin guide which helped along the way to my MCITP:EA. I've used his Windows 7 and 70-685/686 guides to just gain a lot of knowledge.
    His You Can Do Anything book is probably an excellent book but probably aimed at a younger audience.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.