Need ur advice

Nikhil KhandekarNikhil Khandekar Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I am CCNA certified and having work exp of 14 mnths.I m planning to do CCIE.Just wanted to know the current scenario of market,hws the demand for CCIE?
Which CCIE is in boom routing,switching/security?
whts the average salary package they get?
I am planning to resign from job and do CCIE.
hw much time will it take to do CCNP and then CCIE?

Please guys need ur advice.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    My only suggestion to you is don't resign.
    You need experience to back up the CCIE and 14 months isn't enough.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't resign.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    Hi bhaiyya, don't just resign because you want to go for CCIE. It's better you study for your CCIE while working because you get the chance to do some more practice with your equipments at work and also 14 months experience is not enough, keep pressing bro. You'll be fine
    Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
    Up Next: CCNP
    Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
    And Umm: CCNP Voice
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At the risk of sounding like a parrot, don't resign.
    Bottom-line, PLEASE DO NOT "RESIGN"
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but, DON'T RESIGN!

You can get a lot of knowledge from studying and labbing, but those are controlled environments, nothing like some of the things you will see in real life. And besides that, if I am looking to hire a CCNP or CCIE, I want someone that has broader experience than just studying for a test. You need to learn about other vendors, perhaps a sprinkling of firewalls, ips's and load balancers if you get a chance.

In summary, DON'T RESIGN!
    danstar likes this :D
  • Nikhil KhandekarNikhil Khandekar Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    True...U can not replace experience
    Thank u guys for ur suggestions.
    Sorry for replying late.
    Actually u guys are telling the truth.
    We can not replace experience with certification.
    But my motive behind this plan was
    "Since I work on low salary package, I want to grow as early as possible (everyone wants this).
    I thought by clearing this certification exam I can get a better growth(interms of salary) if I compare to the present profile with whom I m working.
    I am not saying that my current profile is not good, it is also good but it will give salary hike after 3/4 yrs of experience."
    I think DANSTAR can understand my situation since he is aware of Indian Market.

Conclusion:Just to get salary hike in short duration I am planning this.

Need ur valuable suggestion on this.
    Yes I understand it. CCNA and mostly these tracks don't earn so much here.. but get a better pay outside the country. Have you tried looking up jobs outside the country ? I am working on my CCNA while I take my degree. I am looking for something that I can do on the side myself so as to get some experience and I am positive I'll get one soon
    Actually I am looking for job in INDIA only,since it is not convenient for me to think about outside INDIA...Thats gr8 u r doing CCNA and research about ur career..
    In Indian market growth is very slow in this domain.So just to get good salary package i m planning to do CCIE.

In which field r u pursuing ur degree?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't understand why you need to quit your job to do the CCIE? Everyone I know that has one did it while working full time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    @Nikhil, I'm pursuing my B.C.A. And after that I am hoping to leave and get a job maybe in the US or Australia. It's OK, just don't quit your job because you want to go for your CCIE cert. Try and do some readings while working and maybe sign up at a training center, you can do it while you work. Most people on here do it that way, some even read only.. and I'm surprised - they nail the exams and pass with high scores.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The IE isnt something you earn in a 'short' duration, as you put it, it takes considerable effort and time. Most, if not all, folks on here have had to study their head off to become an IE. You need real-world experience to get you over the immense gap between the CCNA and the CCIE.

Dont quit your job, you'll the need the experience. The CCIE is the Ph.D of certifications, costs USD $1400 to sit (just the lab, that is) and is a mountain to climb. Dont underestimate it. It isnt impossible to get, but it sure isnt easy.

Dont chase money, chase knowledge. The money just follows.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Also, please do not ****, I have had a lot of experience with engineers in India that had dumped, it is obvious once you get the job and none of them work for us any longer.

I do not believe anyone could pass the lab by only reading, unless they just continued to read one of the ****, there is just too much to it. I lab at the very least 4 hours a day, usually 6 to 8, and I still need to look things up, there is just no way to remember everything without doing it over and over again, different problems call for different solutions, and there are just too many variables in a hands on exam for books to cover.
    Nerydad, you're IE ? You did at least 4 hours a day for your lab practice. WOW! Are you looking to go in a special track ? Your certifications just like NA, NP and then IE. You didn't go VOICE or Sec, you like RnS ?
    Danstar, no I do not have my IE, I am studying for the lab. I am fortunate at the moment in that I have some time at work I can use for study, and I study everyday at home as well. I do plan on following Sec after this, but I had set the IE as my goal a few years ago and do not want to distract myself with specialties at the moment, I distract easily. :)
    Great! Everyone get distracted too lol. I even had myself to study for 2 hours min everyday, did that for sometime.. got distracted but I'm back at it today. I am gonna do some subnetting practice today. I finished OSI Model.. and Subnet seems hard to me. I never get the answer correct. I am going to check a few videos on youtube.. hopefully that will help.
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Nikhil,

Even if the job market is tough in India, the CCIE won't automatically give you a pay raise. It's expensive to sit the lab and it might take you between 2 - 5 tries before you get it. That's a lot of money in India. Like others have said, knowledge is the most important thing you will get from your journey, the number is just icing. If you rush to get the IE in 3 months from an institute over there, will you really be an asset to an employer?
  • ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Thank u guys for ur suggestions.
    Sorry for replying late.
    Actually u guys are telling the truth.
    We can not replace experience with certification.
    But my motive behind this plan was
    "Since I work on low salary package, I want to grow as early as possible (everyone wants this).
    I thought by clearing this certification exam I can get a better growth(interms of salary) if I compare to the present profile with whom I m working.
    I am not saying that my current profile is not good, it is also good but it will give salary hike after 3/4 yrs of experience."
    I think DANSTAR can understand my situation since he is aware of Indian Market.

Conclusion:Just to get salary hike in short duration I am planning this.

Need ur valuable suggestion on this.

If you resign the employer will automatically know you cannot handle 2 'big' things at the same time and you are not committed. Why will they hire you ? Maybe you want to go after CCIE Data Center next and you will resign from their job also. What guarantees you won't quit for another CCIE to 'raise' ur salary (2 years blank on your CV..it will be really hard to explain, and i am not sure if somebody will hire a lab rat).

Thanks,
    Daniel

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.