Security+ Scheduled

timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Greetings,

I just scheduled my Sec+ on March 5. I've been studying very hard for this exam, as it will be my next Comptia certification. Here is my study plan I've been using for a month now:
  • Watch Professor Messer's Sec+ videos for 2 hours every day
  • Review my Sec+ notes I took from reading Darril Gibson's Sec+ book (Great book btw) for an hour every day. I also take his End of Chapter Q's for a refresher every weekend
  • Google anything I don't understand
Is this a solid plan? I have not attempted Darril Gibson's practice exam yet, but I will do it soon.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    How well do you know the objectives as posted by CompTIA? That would be the first place to start. Second, how is your experience level match to what is recommended for a Sec+ candidate? If it is inline with the recommendations, than your prep material is probably ok. I personally prefer the Sybex text, but others prefer different materials and there are plenty to chose from.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Definitely print out the objectives from CompTIA's website and ensure you know every items that is listed on there. Otherwise, I think you plan looks pretty solid.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know most of it since I have studied Sec+ before, but that was about a year ago. I'm heading back and restudying all the materials, hoping to earn this cert. I'm still a senior in high school, so my time is pretty limited. I wouldn't consider myself a security professional, but I hope to become one one day.
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    How well do you know the objectives as posted by CompTIA? That would be the first place to start. Second, how is your experience level match to what is recommended for a Sec+ candidate? If it is inline with the recommendations, than your prep material is probably ok. I personally prefer the Sybex text, but others prefer different materials and there are plenty to chose from.
  • KeithJaggerKeithJagger Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Solid plan. That's what I did. You will smoke this test. Good Luck. I'm rooting for you, post your victory after you pass the exam.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @timesvan32 - I commend your efforts and wish you luck in the exam - you seem to have all the necessary study material and you have worked out a decent study schedule. I can say, you are one of the few persons in high school that know what they want and make the effort to achieve it - you have a bright future ahead of you. Good luck once more! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    @timesvan32, the plan looks good to me.

The book you have covers all the objectives in the CompTIA exam. Also, the objectives are listed at the beginning of the book starting on page 8 and lists the chapter(s) where each of the objectives are covered.

Congrats on your progress so far. Based on your list of certifications, you are building an impressive foundation of technical knowledge for someone still in high school. Does your school have technical classes related to these certs or are you doing this on your own? Either way, Impressive!

I wrote another book that is primarily sold directly to high schools and used in some senior classes "You Can Do Anything - Three Simple Steps to Success for Graduates". My goal with the book is to help people figure out what they want and how to get it but it seems like you are ahead of many of your peers. I'm betting you have a great future ahead of you.

Good luck on March 5th. We're rooting for you!