Help on windows server 2012- DNS issues

jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello techexams.net,
I set up a lab simulation at home. I'm currently lost with dns. My server gets on the internet fine. I set up the server to be on 192.168.1.200 with dns server to 127.0.0.1. Not sure how thats working but it is..

How can I set up a client to join the domain without entering the dns settings?

I have read about setting up the dhcp server on the server and disabling on the router. Not sure if then I would then have to point the router to my dns server and the ISP dns server as well?

Any help is appreciated. This whole concept is kinda confusing to me at the moment.

Comments

• emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    If you've got the DNS server services running on your server and are able to browse, the DNS server is probably querying the root hint servers to get answers since no other forwarders are defined. These are like the "master" dns servers for different sections of the internet.

You router doesn't really need DNS unless it's resolving something. Regardless, the proper setup is to configure the server to use itself as primary DNS, as you have it, then in the dns configuration on the server, enter your ISP or whoever (i.e. Google) DNS server into the forwarding section, then point your clients/DHCP and router to your DNS server (192.168.1.200).

Your clients should never communicate with an external DNS server while on your lan because, after you join them to the domain, they will query the dns server asking about internal records for AD and such, and won't receive a response.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You'll want to get a good understanding of how DNS works as that is fundamental to AD. Read over How DNS Works and How DNS Support for Active Directory Works: Active Directory and also How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows to understand why you need to point everything to your domain's DNS servers for AD to work. After that you'll want to dive into DHCP to learn how that works, what settings you would want to distribute, and what it could possibly break on your network.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you've got the DNS server services running on your server and are able to browse, the DNS server is probably querying the root hint servers to get answers since no other forwarders are defined. These are like the "master" dns servers for different sections of the internet.

You router doesn't really need DNS unless it's resolving something. Regardless, the proper setup is to configure the server to use itself as primary DNS, as you have it, then in the dns configuration on the server, enter your ISP or whoever (i.e. Google) DNS server into the forwarding section, then point your clients/DHCP and router to your DNS server (192.168.1.200).

Your clients should never communicate with an external DNS server while on your lan because, after you join them to the domain, they will query the dns server asking about internal records for AD and such, and won't receive a response.

This might be silly.. but how do you set up your ISP in the forwarding section?

Nevermind found it after did a cbtnugget.

Thanks!
    undomiel wrote: »
    You'll want to get a good understanding of how DNS works as that is fundamental to AD. Read over How DNS Works and How DNS Support for Active Directory Works: Active Directory and also How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows to understand why you need to point everything to your domain's DNS servers for AD to work. After that you'll want to dive into DHCP to learn how that works, what settings you would want to distribute, and what it could possibly break on your network.

Thanks! I will read these soon
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jahaziel wrote: »
    This might be silly.. but how do you set up your ISP in the forwarding section?

This should help. Configure a DNS server to use forwarders: Domain Name System(DNS)
    Youll want to put your ISP's DNS server IP in there. You can get that from your router.
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I think you may be missing something here, can you share your lab info and what all is connected. As per my understanding when you join a domain for new computer you just need to provide the Domain Name and required credentials to join. When you create a Domain it automatically creates a entry in DNS. The problem will be if there is a conflict with another device on your Network. I would take up the offer of going through the documents mentioned above it may help you understand DNS
    You can make the ISP DNS as your Authoritative DNS, not secure or corporate environment but all queries to your DNS will be forwarded to ISP's DNS which is what happens when you surf at home
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
    got it working already. I set up my router to forward all requests to my server 192.168.1.200. Then forwarded all requests from my server to my ips by setting up a forwarded zone. Seems to be working but then again..I haven't been home to test it. I edited all those settings remotely.