Options

Where to go from desktop support?

aa8564aa8564 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have been doing desktop support about a year and It is just going to become a little boring doing repetitive tasks(installing windows, troubleshooting user programs, installing programs and ... ). I have got A+ and Network+. I just wanted to know where to go from here. will it be microsoft certifications or cisco? linux or security certifications? and honestly I don't have any special interest in any of them,i.e. they are all the same to me in priority. I just want your opinions about what to do next.
thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Desktop Engineering. MCSA Windows 7 or 8 would be your best bet IMO
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with N2 - If you have no special interests, and your environment is Windows-based, moving forward with Microsoft certifications would be the next move IMO.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Networking and Security seems to be hopping right now. Doesn't look like it's going to slow down anytime soon. Problem you run into is that fact that most Security type jobs in IT will require Undergraduate or even a Masters in some bigger companies. Have you though about doing security+? I felt like that was a game changes with my current job. The MCSA is also a good way to go if you are wanting to stay with desktop support. If your wanting a change in pace CCNA may be a good way to get away from desktop support if that's what you are looking for.

I have attached CompTIA's IT certification roadmap link for further review of certs.

CompTIA Career Pathways

hope this helps.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with N2. If you take your Desktop Enterprise MCSA 7 or 8, you can move into a higher level architect/designer role which will give you some Server experience too (you will need server experience to pass the 686 exam). These jobs are common in mid to large companies and are more architect focused than the day by day grunt work. If you couple that with SCCM, you'd definitely open some doors. Of course learning SCCM at home isn't easy.

Microsoft now has a MCSE Desktop which signifies they now view Enterprise Desktop as a serious and indepth role in the Enterprise. In a larger company like IBM you could simply do projects at different clients perpetually. It's got it's benefits too, not so much on call work & the guys who work with me make some decent $.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I would honestly say follow one of the new MCSA programs and try to make the move into Systems Administration. With that you'll get exposure to a larger variety and get good experience with a lot of technologies.