Options

trying to decide what to do...

MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
I'm just starting on the studying for the CCNA and I'm trying to decide whether to dish out cash for actual equipment or on some virtual lab like http://www.redmondexams.com/details_ccna_virtual_lab801.htm What do you guys think? I do have all of the CBT Nuggets and the actual CISCO books that are used when teaching official CISCO material. Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    Ok, I lucked out and a buddy of mine got his boss to give him 2 cisco 1751 w/ T1 CSU/DSU & a 17port 3com hub...what else am I gonna need?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A Cisco Switch -- preferably 29xx series -- 2950 would be perfect. And if the 2950 had 2 friends, you'd be as happy as a puppy in a closet full of shoes.

One more router -- a 252x would let you do frame relay (get your friend to also borrow some WIC-1Ts... or those smart serial things) and give you a 3rd ethernet for those pesky OSPF DR/BDR elections.

A 4th router to attach to the frame relay cloud would let you do a point-to-point to one router and point-to-multipoint to the other 2 routers at the same time (and give you a leg-up on the BCRAN exam for the CCNP).

I think there is a cable configuration for a back-to-back connection for those T1 CSU/DSUs - RJ45 connections, right?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. I'm in the process of getting a 2950 switch right now. It doesn't have the gigabit ethernet ports, but I think thats fine. For right now, the 2 routers and 1 switch is as good as its going to get, I think.