Performing VMware Health Check

tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
Have any of you provided a health check on a VMware vSphere rollout done by a third party? I typically poke around at configurations and look for any obvious bottlenecks and errors. I was curious if there were any tools or checklists out there to make it more professional and in-depth.

I'm trying to market myself with this and have caught some major errors with common sense and knowing where to look but if there's a better, more thorough way I would love to hear it.
I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used to use the vCheck script (google it) for a while, but I don't think it was ever updated for 5.x. There is another health check script that was floating around the VMware communities, I think developed by William Lam, but again, I am thinking it may not cover the latest features. Take a look at the VMware communities site and see if there is anything out there that suits you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How about https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=compliance-chk ?

I played with it a little and found it quite good
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have used this one with some minor tweaking.

VMware Communities: VMware vSphere Health Check Report v5.0.2

With instructions.
    VMware vSphere Health Check Report v5.x Installation and Setup | My VM Land

I think it may be the next version of what blargoe is referencing. Or the daily report vCheck. Not sure.

Good luck
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone, those are some great tools. I ran the Health Check Report on my internal server and found some interesting issues to address. Hopefully I can knock this report out of the park!
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com