Beginning my studies for the Security+

DatNDatN Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, im new to the forum and just actually received Darril's Security+ book today and im already starting to read and study for the exam. My plan was to read it once, take notes and make sure I learn all the Acronyms at the end of the book. Then read it a second time and of course go through the practice questions a few times until I have no hesitation on what the answer would be. Any other tips or suggestions to study for the exam would be awesome. There were some reviews on Amazon stating the book was all that was needed to pass the exam, but im open to anything else that will help. Already planning to take the exam in 45 days as suggested in the book, but with all the free time I have working at night in a 3rd shift. I should be ready in 30 days.

Comments

• danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    I think the Darril book should be enough. I've read success stories about the book.
    That should be enough and you also try some online exam practice.. that will help.
    Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
    Up Next: CCNP
    Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
    And Umm: CCNP Voice
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Darril's book, along with the Professor Messer videos and you should be good to go. Dont forget Darril's website as well, has a ton of information. Im re-reading Darril's book myself, deciding to take the test after someone posted a 80% voucher code from Comptia a few weeks back. Tried to get in during March, all booked solid (wish the centers would do some weekends), so set for 2 April.
  • danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    80% Voucher code ? For real, don't they have for Cisco :D
    Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
    Up Next: CCNP
    Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
    And Umm: CCNP Voice
  • DatNDatN Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Too bad I didnt start my studies months sooner and get in on that good deal, 80% is awesome. I'm curious if my current employer would possibly help out with my certs. Something I definitely will ask my manager before buying a voucher for the exam.
  • Snyper82Snyper82 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where would one find this voucher code you speak of?
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums DatN.

Your plan sounds good and there's nothing wrong with taking it earlier if you're ready. Some people with experience and working knowledge of the topics have used the book to pass the exam within a week so 30 days is certainly feasible.

Good luck.
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use DG's book as your main with a few study notes and use prof messor and you'll be fine.

Questions are very similar, dont look at the comptia site questions!

HTH