CCNA 3 Practical Final

unwritt3nunwritt3n Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey guys... im new to this site.. just a question on ccna 3 practical final.

Well next week im doing my final prac, and final theory exam for ccna 3.

for the prac final we gotta setup a network, with 2 routers, 2 switches and 2 host.. setup a vlan, ospf or igrp, VTP, STP and some port security.

for a host to ping through a switch, then a router, through to another router and switch, to the 2nd host... wat needs to be configured on the switches??

besides giving the vlan an IP, do i have to give the default vlan (VLAN1) an ip for a successful ping across? And do i have to do the "no shutdown" command on the ports on the switch...

I know it sounds like i dont know much.. but our teacher kinda sucks.. lol
Studying: 70-290, CCNP 1, CCSP 1

Comments

• PhoenixDownPhoenixDown Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The ports used to plug the router and the host into need to be on the same vlan, but other than that there shouldn't be any other configuration as far as the ping goes. The switch will function with or without an IP. The IP is used for managing the switch and doesn't concern any of the data flowing through the switch. As far as using the "no shutdown" command, it wouldn't hurt. Switch ports typically don't have to be turned on when a cable is connected, but seeing as this is a final, the instructor may have shut down some ports to keep you on your toes.

The above about the vlans is assuming that your routers ethernet ports aren't doing any isl/dot1q to the switch, otherwise the situation could differ a bit.
    I'll take "Movies that start with the word Jaws" for $800.
  • unwritt3nunwritt3n Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The ports used to plug the router and the host into need to be on the same vlan, but other than that there shouldn't be any other configuration as far as the ping goes. The switch will function with or without an IP.

thanks pheonix..

just another lil question..

So the ports that plug the router and the host need to be on the same vlan.. and then give this vlan and ip yeah?? so the Host default gateway would be the IP of the vlan right?
    The default gateway of the hosts needs to be set to the ip of the ethernet interface of the router facing that host. The switches are only concerned with layer 2 addresses (MACs) and not with IP's. The IP of the vlan shouldn't be relevant for the host communication.

The port of the host and router on one side need to be on the same vlan, and the port of the host and router on the other side need to be on the same vlan, but both sides don't all have to be on the same. ie, the ports for router A and host A could be on Vlan 2, while the ports for router B and host B are on Vlan 9. The routers should take care of the communication in-between.
    ahhh!!!!

Phenoix ur a life saver... if only my teacher said those exact words.. i understand it now.. thats alot mate!

lol 1 more quick question... does the switch connect to the router e0/fa0 by an uplink port on the switch.. or can i just use any port on the switch to connect to the router.. as long as host and router ports are on the same vlan?
    You're welcome, I know the feeling. My teachers never explained vlans very well either. It wasn't until doing it everyday did I fully understand it.

:)
    Correction - it really depends on what type of cable you use, if you're using a straight cable then you should use the uplink port, if you're using a crossover cable, you should use a normal port.

An uplink port works the same as a normal port but it has pins 1 and 3 switched, and 2 and 6 switched just like a crossover cable. Instead of using a crossover cable between two "normal" ports to connect two like pieces of equipment, using an uplink port to a "normal" port would allow you to use a straight cable instead to get the same effect.
    ahh ok...

well you've been a huge help man.. thanks again..
    ill post in this thread if i have another question.

thanks
    Hey this is wat the practical exam will most likey be:

topolgy.jpg

So just to clarify, the E0 on the host, and the Fa0/0 on the router, need to be on the same vlan as configured on the switch. So as in the diagram, ports Fa 0/1 and Fa 0/2 on the switch need to be added to say "VLAN2". and on the other side of the network the same thing.

Is there anything there pheonix that doesnt look right in the logical setup?

thanks in advance
    Right, putting fa0/1 and fa0/2 of the switch on vlan 2 would allow the router and host to communicate using that vlan (as long as fa0/1 isn't set as a vlan trunk, otherwise more router configs would be needed). Vlans won't need to be specified on the host or the router themselves, only on the switchports they're connected to. The gateway on the e0 of the host will need to be set to the fa0/0 of the facing router. The fa0/1 of the switch will need to be an uplink port or you will need to use a crossover cable for the connection to the router. I thought I would cover everything again since we have a diagram to reference now :) . Assuming the routing protocols are set up correctly you should be good to go.
    alright cool..

cheers