FINALLY a month after i get my A+.. a job called back

jacktheripper994465221jacktheripper994465221 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
wal-mart.... starting me off at 6.75!! sweeeeeet.

i guess fixing pcs wasnt for me.

Comments

• 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    Damn dude, sorry to hear that but getting your first IT job will be abit of a struggle icon_sad.gif really need to know someone in the business first who can get you a foot in the door....keep trying while working at wal-mart...
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sorry to hear that man , keep on trying ask wall mart if they need any help with IT related stuff.
  • certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why would you stop looking for a tech job and accept a low level job at walmart? good luck with your new job.
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't give up hope. I was working at Target while studying for more certs. It made me work harder in getting my certs because 6 bucks an hour wasn't cutting it for me. Good luck to you!!
  • JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    Wal-Mart...? icon_rolleyes.gif

A+ doesn't equal an IT job.

The ability to change oil doesn't make you a mechanic.

The ability to administer an IV doesn't make you a RN.

See the correlation here, you need more training. Have you gone to, or considered college? If not, the cruel reality is that the best you can hope for is a help desk position. You need experience in IT to get a job. Most people get this in the form of academic and entry-level training.

Get serious about a career in IT, do research on the IT industry and get the facts on being successful in the field. Nothing will be handed to you in the IT industry.

Aside from Library Science...yes that's right, Library Science. IT requires the highest education levels for the lowest entry-level jobs. I remember this quote from my first day in college.

Librarian with Ph. D = $45,000 average
    Desktop Support Analyst with MCDST, A.A.S = $48,000 average

Yes its apples to oranges but comparable in the educational vs. pay grades. Much worse for librarians though!
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    You should try to apply at Circuit City, Best Buy or CompUSA. Yes, these jobs probably suck, but they probably pay significantly better than Walmart. Plus, you get the most important thing of all....EXPERIENCE!! Then after a year or 18 months of doing those jobs, you can look for something a little better. If I were you, I'd probably try to grab a few other entry level certifications or even an associate's degree while gaining that experience as well. Keep looking and you'll find something. icon_wink.gif
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems

Second they have a huge IT staff so if you play your cards right and get on managements good side you can get them to pass your resume along with a good recommendation to the right people. I have a friend and former co-worker who went to work for them as a programmer and he's loving it.

Third, I started as a after hours/weekend "help desk" associate for my first IT job. What I really did was print and distribute reports and reformat excel files and email them. Ocassionaly I did take a help desk call and got some experience that way. But combined with the certs I earned through self study it was enough to get me my current job which is much better and allows me to do so much more. (Pay is actually about the same, but I like what I do and where I do it so it evens out).
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wal-mart.... starting me off at 6.75!! sweeeeeet.

i guess fixing pcs wasnt for me.

You have made a fair few negative comments about the IT industry so you've either 1 - been burnt by the industry or 2. trying to beat off your competition by making it sound so depressing.
    Lawl WTF strauchr ?
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should try to apply at Circuit City, Best Buy or CompUSA. Yes, these jobs probably suck, but they probably pay significantly better than

And you're forgetting the fun part, fun with customers!

It's nice to help and old lady get her data back, and somewhat gratifying to tell a jerk that doesn't know the meaning of backup that his data has gone to the big hdd in the sky :).

True story:

"But I paid you $50 to get my data back!"

me: No sir, you paid me to tell you what's wrong with your laptop. There are several data recovery services that may be able to help you, though the cost is quite high.

"F%$! you! Keep it then! I don't want it!

I was able to get some of his 'precious data' back. It mostly included pictures of him in vegas in various compromising positions. I called his house, and his wife answered. I told her that I had placed everything I could get back on 2 cd's. She came to pick them up, and he had called to say that it was fine for her to do so.

Eventually she saw the pictures :)
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Skully93, OMG thats too funny.

Staucher: Sounds to me like he was making a joke. Sorry were not all the networking god's like you appear to be in your profile.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kevozz wrote:
    Skully93, OMG thats too funny.

Staucher: Sounds to me like he was making a joke. Sorry were not all the networking god's like you appear to be in your profile.

Have you seen the OP's other posts and/or topics he's started? I don't have the time or energy to repeat them, but I would suggest to go reread them and then you might consider what Strauchr said to possibly be true.
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    i agree with strauchr. most of burzu's posts are just complaints about companies or job hunting.
    i mean if you want something badly enough you will do anything to make it happen. you could start with getting more certs.
    witty comment
  • jacktheripper994465221jacktheripper994465221 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    compucom and universal computer systems lied to me!! they never called back. as for robert half... the interview was pointless. i never got a job through them.
  • gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Judd wrote:
    A+ doesn't equal an IT job.

This is definetly true. Usually an A+ will land you a Circuit City, Best Buy type job, as mentioned earlier. It really depends on what you looking to do. If you want to be an IT tech, you should look into the Network+, CCNA, and some others. With Walmart, you can still gain good customer service skills for your resume. One thing I can say is that the search is not easy. You definetly gotta stay on top of it, so don't give up.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • jlewis92683jlewis92683 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just keep Applying for those IT jobs. You might also want to try posting your resume on monster there are quite a few entry level jobs that i have seen on there. I have a BS in network management and it took me almost six months to find a job after i graduated. Just keep working at it. eventualy someone will give you a job in IT.

Studies show for each ten thousand dollars you want to make yearly equals 1.5 months to find a with that salary.
    EXP: 30,000 4.5 months 50,000 7 months
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All i'm saying is we could help each other out and not criticize.

There is enough problems finding a decent job for many people in IT.

I considered a job at the local Best Buy, where several of the salesmen/Geek Squad employees have Masters Degrees (MIS). Go figure.
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    kevozz wrote:
    All i'm saying is we could help each other out and not criticize.

I agree. Although it probably seems like some people dont do any research and are looking for easy answers, that is not the case with everyone. Some people just have bad luck or are in the middle of a long search that will eventually end with success. Everyone has to start somewhere and I think we all agree that getting started is one of the hardest things to do in this industry. Lets be supportive of each other! A lot of us dont have anywhere else to turn for support! :D
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems

I considered a job at the local Best Buy, where several of the salesmen/Geek Squad employees have Masters Degrees (MIS). Go figure.

These guys must have cheated their way through all their classes in college.
  • IT-jacques wrote:

What is that supposed to mean? And I suppose you are a whole lot better?
    Lawl Fight fight fight
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    IT-jacques wrote:
    or perhaps they are gaining experience because they can't get anywhere otherwise?
    witty comment
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not critisizing anyone except this idiot. He has posted many contradictory postsabout his situation and how bad off he is and how this industry isn't fair, blah blah blah.

I understand how hard it is to break into the industry, I have been there myself. Then, this forum didn't exist, hell the internet was only just getting started really.

But asking for advice, and constantly whinging are 2 different things. Like I said, contradictory posts from other forums - look it up if you can be bothered.

So like I said, he's either been badly burnt by his experience or he is trying to keep competition away by making it look hopeless trying to get into the industry therefore in his mind making less competition for himself as people read his posts and decide not to take up a career in IT.

I think its the latter.