Frame Map Statementes - Broadcast or not?

rareairrareair Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am practicing for the CCIE RS Lab, and I found myself wondering if people add the broadcast statement to Frame Maps when nothing is specified regarding this.
I know that in production Frame Relays, broadcasts usually add a lot of unnecessary traffic, but what about in practice labs?
I mean, it does affect routing protocol decicions.

Oh well, not a big deal, just something I was wondering about... But I'd like to know what I should do if I stumble upon this decision when I am in the actual CCIE Lab.

Comments

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd configure them if you intend to run routing protocols over the links that aren't unicast.
    It would depend on what the overall objective and restrictions are, but I'm guessing you're going to configure broadcast 99.99% of the time unless told not to.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    In the past I didn't configure it unless I needed it for something, but the solutions guide always had it configured unless it was specifically stated not to, so know I just throw it on there for consistency.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    It depends on the frame-relay topology and protocol requirements. If you are in a point-to-point frame scenario and the routing protocol supports unicast communication (i.e. ospf neighbor statement) then this may not be needed. However, if you are in a point-to-multipoint configuration then I would consider using the broadcast statement.

When it comes down to it, you have to understand the requirements for that situation. Yes you may have some extra communication across the wire but you also want to ensure IGPs and Multicast are properly received by all necessary devices.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11