Welp, here's another one..

wittyDivawittyDiva Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been just reading and skimming the post in this forum. I was just waiting in the background until I can make one of those " I passed" thread.icon_lol.gif. Well, the time has arrived and I can say " I passed the Security+ exam" . The materials I used were Darril's Security + Study Guide and Professor Messer videos.. Not too worried about the score I got because, basically, the passing score criteria for the exam is an above average passing score anyways. I had two performance based questions and the rest multiple choice and multiple select questions... Just like some other post that are in the forum, I, too, thought I was failing the exam and definitely was surprised that I passed..

If I had to give advice, I will definitely say focus more on the concepts oppose to just getting practice questions correct (regardless of any book you use to study). You definitely need to understand why answers are incorrect or correct.. I say this mainly because the wording on the CompTia questions kind of threw me for a loop.. Very few of them looked similar to the practice questions in Darril's book (at least to me). I did a lot of process of elimination.. Anyways, I'm glad to have this exam out the way.. Now I have a certification in Security + to go along with my Network + ( don't think I'm interested in getting an A+ cert)..

Comments

• Thomas ElliotThomas Elliot Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! You have been able to do something I've been struggling with!
    I'm a bit worried about the performance based questions as well, since I have been studying since before they implemented the questions.
    I have to agree with you on the opinion about Darril's book. I think it does a great job in helping you with the concepts. I was acing his practice tests but when I took the test I did not see any similarities between the two.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass. Great first post and good advice on focusing on the concepts. When you understand why the correct answers are correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect, it doesn't matter how CompTIA words the questions. Also, when you understand the concepts, you can use a process of elimination to to find the most correct answer.

Good luck with your next adventure.
  • KeithJaggerKeithJagger Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Always focus on concepts. The answers are all fine and good. But know why the answers are correct and wrong are the keys to success.
  • KeithJaggerKeithJagger Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The performanced based questions are no big deal....if you've taken care of business. I can't go into detail but its all about knowing your main ports and other things that are basic (you'll be surprised how you'll breeze through it)..don't sweat it. Study Darril's bible on Sec+ and you'll be in good shape. (and no, I'm not paid to endorse Darril's book...its a fact)