Options

CCNA Practical Studies

Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
Hi guys.

From the beginning I was planning on saving doing the CCNA Practical studies for the last leg of study. So, I just opened it up and started reading it last night before bed, and I was completely shocked by the amount of equipment needed for this.

I have 3 routers (2 X2611, 1X2501) and 3 switches (2950, 2924, 2800)

With this equipment, how can I still use the CCNA Practical Studies?

Thanks,

@scared to even look at the equipment list for CCNP!

Comments

• Options
    After looking through a bit more, I realized that this is old and written for the old exam.

Any recommendations on a lab book for the current test?
    Don't want another whole CBT solution like trainsignal, just a lab book.

I was so looking forward to this last part of my study!
    To be honest, I have used some simulation softs and went through the whole Test Out CBT, which is really interactive, and just recently have tried my hand at Transcender passing with a 920, so I think I could pass now if I took it, but I haven't even really used the equipment I bought! And I really wanted to get the basics of the equipment down really solid before moving on from CCNA. This is not about passing CCNA. Already done that once, just redoing it again cause its a prereq for CCNP. This is my real goal.

Quite a lot of views, but no replies! Come on guys!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It would be nice if there was an updated edition to match the new exam blueprint -- but its still useful if you skip the IPX and other old parts.

I think the redistribution lab is probably the largest single configuration, but once you know the material, you can usually figure out a way to try it out in pieces with just 2 or 3 routers.

I also used the CCIE Practical Studies Vol 1 and the old McGraw Hill All-in-One Cisco CCIE Lab Study Guide while I did my CCNA - but then I was always aiming higher than the CCNA. :D

I did the Cisco Network Academy for my CCNA so I also had the Lab Companion books. But those probably worked because they fit within the Academy courseware -- but again, for hands on, after you know the material, um, they'd be boring -- but they still covered the important hands-on tasks of the CCNA (in some cases over and over and over).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well I thought you were joking since you said you did the ccna before. That is plenty of equipment to do the CCNA so what are you really asking. CCNP? well **** the 2800 since I don't think it does trunking and get another 2950 or if you are going further get a 3550 instead. The 2950's don't do ISL if you want to play with that. Two more routers would not hurt either. Many of the members here would fall over themselves to have the equipment that you have now since most here seem to just use software simulators i.e. boson or netsim.

If you want to trick out your lab grab a 2522 for a big frame relay cloud or a 2520 or 4500 for a small frame relay cloud. Get a 2509 or 2511 for a terminal server.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well trainsignal is more than a video cbt as it includes all of bryants books in pdf. You can go to his website and buy just the books for somewhere under $100. I thought he used to just sell the lab book alone but there is so much marketing 101 on steroids on his site now that it is hard to find things. The labs will work with what you already have for the most part. He makes decent labs and they will get you buy.

thebryantadvantage.com should get you there.

Boson's simulator has its labs in separate PDF's in case you want to do them on real equipment.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

Well, what I was asking in my original question was how can I go through the labs in the CCNA practical studies with only 3 routers since the equipment list specifies 8? Especially since I don't have a frame relay switch.

I will give the pdf version of the Boson labs a go on my equipment, thanks for that tip.

Yeah, I know I need some more equipment for the CCNP, but should I buy a frame relay switch now for CCNA? What about an ISDN simulator? Is the is a must for CCNP?

Thanks again, guys.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nipponbiki wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

Well, what I was asking in my original question was how can I go through the labs in the CCNA practical studies with only 3 routers since the equipment list specifies 8? Especially since I don't have a frame relay switch.
    If you understand what the lab is trying to accomplish -- can break it up into the component pieces and and do those one at a time. It is a lot more fun to setup the larger configurations and see it work end-to-end -- but you have to work with what you have.

If you have serial ports on the 26xxs, you can do point-to-point using the 2501 as a frame switch. You can also do a point to multi-point, but you'd still only have one router on the multi-side.
    nipponbiki wrote:
    Yeah, I know I need some more equipment for the CCNP, but should I buy a frame relay switch now for CCNA? What about an ISDN simulator? Is the is a must for CCNP?
    The price of ISDN simulators has dropped on eBay since the CCIE R&S Lab doesn't do ISDN anymore. If ISDN is still in the test blueprint when your thinking of studying for the exam, then yeah, ISDN Simulator would be helpful.

And one of the 252x routers (for use as a frame switch) with a BRI interface could kill 1 bird with 1/2 an ISDN stone -- if you decide to do ISDN in your home lab in the future.

Even reading the labs and configs in the Practical Studies book is helpful if you have the time (and inclination).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!