Options

Passed yesterday :)

wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well I passed the Network+ yesterday with a score of 798/900. To be honest I felt like I needed another week because I had been bed ridden the week before.

I would like to share my study routine so it might give others an idea of what to expect...

I started in Jan around the 15th with the CBT nuggets videos, at the time I thought they were helping but looking back now I don't think they did at all. They gave the impression that they were covering everything but they don't. For me I found them boring and you don't need them.

I think the perception of Network+ online is that its an easy test but I really didn't think it was, you need to know a lot!

I took a practice test around the 25th and did awful! So I ordered Todd Lammle's Network+ book on the Kindle, and wow, what can I say?! I have passed because of this book only!

I already have the CCNA book but I decided after I bought it that I would grasp networking better if I started from the beginning, so I went with network+.

So yeah I had around 3 weeks to read the 700+ page book whilst having a full time job and studying a part time masters... I basically read 2 chapters a night, each chapter took me around an hour and a half and I would have a half hour - hour break in between. The questions at the end of chapter are really good and help you nail down what you learnt.

One of my favorite things is the way the book keeps drumming the same things in over the chapters, its kind of subliminal but great!

So yeah that's it! I'm not stopping there, getting straight onto the CCNA then I will feel confident to apply for an entry level networking job.

**Actually after reading a few posts should I go for Security+? Or straight to CCNA? Is Security+ worth it?

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass.

With Network+ fresh in your mind, you have a lot of material down for the Security+. You could take and pass it much easier and quicker than the CCNA and having some basic security knowledge is valued by many employers. If you plan on pursuing both, I'd suggest you get the Security+ first.

Good luck either way.
  • Options
    BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    Congrats on getting Network+ certified! :3
  • Options
    Thanks! And yep think im gonna go Sec+, just bought your Kindle study guide, bargain! Looks really good!
  • Options
    BaackBaack Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass
    I agree there is allot to know for this test
    Did you get any simulation questions?
  • Options
    JayBliskJayBlisk Member Posts: 182
    Congrats on the pass! Good luck on the sec+
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I bought some off eBay, but to be honest I only went through it like twice, the questions in the lammle book were good enough for me I thought.
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Congrats and thanks for the advice. I'm currently studying using Exam Cram N10-005 but I'll switch over to Todd Lammle's book by your recommendation. What else do I need to study? It's hard finding quality material that covers EVERYTHING. I know I used MS Press for A+ and thanks to my previous knowledge and experience to complement the book, otherwise I wouldn't had passed.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    linuxlover wrote: »
    Congrats and thanks for the advice. I'm currently studying using Exam Cram N10-005 but I'll switch over to Todd Lammle's book by your recommendation. What else do I need to study? It's hard finding quality material that covers EVERYTHING. I know I used MS Press for A+ and thanks to my previous knowledge and experience to complement the book, otherwise I wouldn't had passed.

I only used Lammle's book and passed, everything from the exam was in there. There are 20 chapters so it does take a bit to go through but there are questions at the end of each chapter to make sure you understood it. There were 2 sets of questions and on all chapters I scored above 7/10 and 16/20 every time, so if you get lower I suggest you re-read the chapter.

The questions in the exam are different to what he gives you but if you understand the concepts then the questions are fine. Thats the point really, to learn. I have learnt so much!

I think im going to start CCNA & Sec+ at the same time and try and pass both in a close time frame.

This weekend I was relaxing after passing but I was itching to get into the next cert and to learn more!
  • Options
    Thanks! And yep think im gonna go Sec+, just bought your Kindle study guide, bargain! Looks really good!

Yeah I got some sim questions, they are quite easy.