Options

70-410 New to Server

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Was looking at going for the 70-410 Server 2012. Question is what to use to study for it? as this would be my first Server cert would I be expected to know all of the 2008 stuff or can I start with this exam?

Any good books or resources out there apart from technet.
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi im also studying for this exam. The material kinda expect you to have some knowledge on different technologies like virtualization, dns, networking, and others. If you have previous knowledge it would definitely help, but its not necessary. I suggest reading these books to get first a basic understanding of what to expect and prepare:

Introducing to Windows Server 2012 RTM - this book is basic on server 2012 so you should understand its new features and learn new concepts.
    Amazon.com: Introducing Windows Server 2012 RTM Edition (9780735675353): Mitch Tulloch: Books

Windows Server 2012 Up and Running - another good and basic book on server 2012 which you could read in a few days. Its more technical and show examples on how to do some things.
    Windows Server 2012: Up and Running: Samara Lynn: 9781449320751: Amazon.com: Books

CBT Nuggets trainings are very good and popular among IT professionals.
    Microsoft Windows Server 2012 70-410 Video Training Online | CBT Nuggets

Microsoft Exam Ref books goes directly to the objectives of the certification. You can complement the readings with a virtual lab to practice.
    Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012: Craig Zacker: 9780735673168: Amazon.com: Books

Another good and free source of information is Microsoft Virtual Academy. They provide videos, pdfs, and exams to make sure you grasp the information. Although it not targeted towards certifications, you can use it to learn many of the technologies that Server 2012 has.
    SQL Azure, Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Private Cloud Courses and more - Microsoft Virtual Academy

Hope this helps!!!
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    I have a plan of attack :)

Print out the Exam objectives.
    Setup Virtual lab so I can deploy Server 2012 and Server Core
    Watch CBT Nugget on Exam objective, take Notes
    Reinforce this Information by undertaking lab work ( Setup what is being shown through CBT + take further notes on the process)
    Technet each objective, Lab and take notes

Possibly reinforce information with this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0735673101/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=145WGHDM5ENTWZX9HQCT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

I want to lab, lab, lab until everything becomes second nature

Should be enough to kick the ass out of this Exam :) This would be my first Cert not afraid to get my hands dirty and i'm a pretty fast and picking up stuff.

• Options
    gabpyr you seem to have alot of experience with Microsoft exams what are your methods of study? watch videos? take notes? how long does it take you to hammer out a Microsoft cert?

• Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When im going to take an exam first I make sure to know the current version of the exams. Then I search on amazon for proper books, but its important to know which books have great reputation to cover the exam objectives (Microsoft Press and Exam Ref are very good). After I have at least 2 books I use some CBT such as Testout, CBTNuggets or Trainsignal as an additional source of information. To practice i use virtualbox and install 2 or 3 virtual machines and practice the exercises on the books and the videos. If you mess with a virtual machine use snapshots to return your virtual machine to the previous state, that way you dont waste time. With these resources it should be enough to pass the exams.

As an added note check Microsoft Virtual Academy, they provide free updated material which you can use to complement your learning.

Good luck!
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter