Can only ping 1 of 3 switches in VLAN

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I'm working with Packet Tracer 5.3 for this and I'm stumped. I have 3 switches and 2 routers all using /24 subnet

R1 (core router) 10.0.0.254
R2 10.0.0.253
SW1: 10.0.0.1 (Core)
SW2: 10.0.0.2
SW3: 10.0.0.3

I have 4 VLANS
1 = 10.0.0.0
10 = 10.0.10.0
20 = 10.0.20.0
30 = 10.0.30.0

SW1 has a trunk line to SW2 and SW3 SW1 is the VTP server SW2 and 3 are clients, I've verifed all the VLANS appear and the network is running RIP V2 at this time. SW3 has a sub interface 10.0.10.254 I have 3 computers hooked up to SW2 two of them are in VLAN 10

They can successfully ping 10.0.0.254, 10.0.0.253, 10.0.0.1 and each other along with other computers still in VLAN1 but I can't ping 10.0.0.2 or 10.0.0.3 the third computer hooked up that is still on VLAN1 can ping them no problem. The sub interface is located on R2 if that matters. I have nothing using VLAN 20 or 30 at the moment. STP is currently all default out of the box. There are no ACLs or anything else in place.

Thank you for any guidance.

Comments

• boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A screenshot of your topology and the config of each of your devices would be immensely helpful for diagnosing your problem.
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    upload the pt file
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can download the packet tracer file from http://ottolab.net/other/tracer.zip I tried uploading both the .zip and the pkt file but the software blocked it. The password for everything is the ever original cisco (all lower case)
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Got to dash to eat, I just noticed that both links on S2 are not trunk links though.

E: I think S2 and S3 need a default-gateway of 10.0.10.254.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Your switches don't know how to get to that 10.0.10.0/24 network, have them set 10.0.0.253 as the default gateway. Your the 2nd person that I have seen create sub-interfaces and still assign the main interface an IP address, I had never seen that before, I always left the actual interface unassigned, guess you learn something new everyday.
    Thanks guys for the help. Few more things I guess.

On SW2 fa 0/22 is a trunk link but Fa 0/23 isn't (connects directly to SW3) does fa 0/23 need to be trunked? Wouldn't the trunking still work going though SW1 only as both direct connections are trunked. Also why do I need to make the GW 10.0.0.253 is it because R2 has sub interface? my thought process was that R1 (10.0.0.254) has the routing information for 10.0.0.0 and 10.0.10.0 because of RIP routing.

Thank you for helping me with this
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I really don't have a clear idea of your topology. I'm also not sure I have a copy of packet tracer handy.

You do need inter-vlan routing, in order to communicate between VLANs.

If you have SVIs set up on your switches, that could create that linking for you.

If you don't do that, then you need some kind of router-on-a-stick (which is what I think you're doing, but cannot be too clear at this time).

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wweboy wrote: »
    my thought process was that R1 (10.0.0.254) has the routing information for 10.0.0.0 and 10.0.10.0 because of RIP routing.

R1 has the routing information but switches don't participate in RIP so they have no idea what information R1 has. They still need default gateways set if you want them to communicate outside their own subnets.
    Boredgamelad you are right on the money pointed SW2 and SW3 to 10.0.0.253 and ping started working. Interesting.

Thanks everyone now I feel kind of silly but all in the name of learning and understanding this stuff.
    ugh okay this is driving me up a wall. So I re-watched the CBT Nuggets on router on a switch and realized I never made a static router on R1 for the 10.0.10.0 network. But what really is confusing me is Jeremy states that you don't need to give the actual interface an IP address someone had mentioned that here to.

Going back to the CBT Nuggets videos Jeremy then stick an IP address that would work for VLAN1 on the physical interface and then is able to talk to the VLAN1 devices from the other VLANs. Now if I understand correctly if I don't want the devices on the switch to talk to any other VLANs other then the one port is set to I don't need to bother putting an IP address on the physical interface. But if I want to I need to? I also understand I can prune what VLANs go across the trunk I'm just trying to understand why I'm seeing what I'm seeing.

Thanks again everyone!
    well I feel really dumb. Want to know how to fix this create another sub interface for vlan 1 and boom everything works no static routes no nothing. SO simple yet I don't know why the hell I didn't think of it.