Which MBA?

rpmccormickrpmccormick Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys. I am new here, and found this when looking for a WGU referral (please email me if you can refer me, same name here at gmail).

Besides the referral request, I would like opinions on how to best advance my career.

History:
Graduated CalPoly SLO with CPE degree (computer engineering, mix of EE/CS) in 2001.
I worked as a systems engineer on automotive MP3 players and GPS devices for 7 years (pcb, boms, firmware, etc).
I worked as a project manager for HD-Radio reference designs for 1 year (when they laid off 50% of the company).
For the last 5 years I have been self-employed growing an online Hotel Reservation business that I started in college.

Desire:
I miss hardware. My dream job would be working with either a small-start up, or a big player like Google/Apple where I am able to define new products, features, and UI (Apple/Google TV type stuff, or automotive) and instruct programmers under me to do the busy work after I have proven out a system design.

I am thinking an MBA might help (yes/no)?
Which of these should I go for? Or is there something better suited for me I should be looking at?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but this WGU stuff strikes me as flimsey. I know it's accredited, but it can't carry the same weight as an Ivy.

I see hardware jobs at Microsoft every day. Might want to look at a few to see what they're looking for.
  • rpmccormickrpmccormick Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. I may check out M$. I almost had a Google Android job years ago, but they ended up promoting internally instead. I did an interview for Apple accessories and failed it miserably (sorry I don't remember every detail of an inductor Apple... that's why datasheets exist!).

What is Ivy... you mean ivy-league schools? I am interested in WGU because I could do it in 1-year for about $13k. I looked at going to UT here in Austin for an MBA... I don't think I could get in, and even if I could it would take 2-years and cost 200k!!!

Anyway, I want to make it clear: I am not IT, I am not business. I am engineering (hardware, firmware, software), but I don't want my main job to be working on any of that (only defining it and then helping those under me work on it). I have hundreds of ideas that have never been implemented in terms of software UI features (and hardware to support those features) for consumer media/info-consuming devices... real "game changers" in my opinion. My goal is to work for a company that will give me a team to implement them. For a start-up, I don't want to be CEO or COO, I want to be CTO.

I don't know if an MBA is right for me, or if there are other degrees or certification options that would help me eventually reach my goal. If anyone has any recommendations, please share.

Thanks.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    If you don't have IT or business background, why do you want to do MBA?
    Look for a good CS/EE program.
  • QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well like it or not, if you ever plan on having a team it will take management education and experience. OK maybe for your purposes WGU fits, but only if the education is half-good, because it's not really a credential.
    Thanks again for the replies. I already have a BS in CPE (CS+EE). Also FYI I'm 35. Is there another good Masters program for my needs other than MBA? I have worked as a PM, but not with my own team, just my own project and being able to use company resources for software/pcb. I have my first into call with the WGU recruiter tomorrow, so I will see what he has to say.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I don't understand your question well, but I don't think a degree = a position. If you want to work as a project manager/team leader/CTO leading an engineering team then your computer engineering undergrad is enough. You need to get a position and move up. An MBA is about the business and management side of things (think strategy, leadership,..) NOT hardware design. Perhaps a good Masters in Compute Engineering will give you a boost but is it worth the opportunity cost?

How about finding a hardware job and work your way up for a promotion? or maybe work on your ideas as side projects?

I'm a fellow Computer Engineering undergrad, but my career has been nothing but IT. I do miss the cool projects I did at uni (robots, interfacing, ..etc!)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

I think a part-time Masters in Computer engineering from U of Texas is your best option.

The University of Texas | Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering

you get to do it while working your way up in a hardware job.

Or you can do part-time MBA from U Texas while working. Actually one of my high school friends moved to Texas years ago, and he is doing part-time MBA at U of Texas.
    http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/mba/temba

Thanks! MS CE may be the one. An MBA at UT costs over $200k!!!
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In Ireland where you go is not as important as it is in the US but this is the MBA I am considering doing. Edinburgh Business School. The costs work out as $1445 per module (9 modules), and you can take as long as you like to finish the MBA as you want, there is no time restriction. All done online apart from the final module exams. Total MBA cost including final exams = $14,000. Is it listed in the top MBA programs, no, but then it isn't priced like Harvard either. It may be a total non-starter with you but maybe someone else reading here might be interested in it...
    ... An MBA at UT costs over $200k!!!

If done part-time, then that's 50K per year for four years..opens up door to managerial positions, with the added advantage of networking within your area (Texas). It can pay off in the long run, but your mileage may vary

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm reading a book called The Personal MBA which is absolutely brilliant (The Personal MBA - Master the Art of Business). Might be worth grabbing a copy before you spend big bucks on the course? The book covers the areas you'd get on an MBA (finance, start ups, marketing, management etc.) but in small chunks.
  • halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    I'm reading a book called The Personal MBA which is absolutely brilliant (The Personal MBA - Master the Art of Business). Might be worth grabbing a copy before you spend big bucks on the course? The book covers the areas you'd get on an MBA (finance, start ups, marketing, management etc.) but in small chunks.
    Very well said Claire, Personal MBA has its reading list to at their website.
  • sadfjlfdo24sadfjlfdo24 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My dream job would be working with either a small-start up, or a big player like Google/Apple where I am able to define new products, features, and UI (Apple/Google TV type stuff, or automotive) and instruct programmers under me to do the busy work after I have proven out a system design.

Ahahahah icon_lol.gif

Good luck with that.