Comparison to Net+?

wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I just passed the Network+ exam on Friday. I was advised on Security+ but think I'm going to go on to CCNA, maybe both at the same time! I passed the Network+ in just under a month of studying evenings and weekends. Will the CCNA be similar? I mean Net+ should have given me a head start and I'm using Todd Lammle's book which is a similar size of around 700 pages.

I'm guessing CCNA is harder so should I allow a month and a half? I have bought 3 Cisco routers and 2 switches also for practical, but I also have packet switcher and GNS3 to experiment.

P.S. I would also like an idea on a good Linux cert to take, I have used Linux for 6 years but I probably have bad habits and don't know a lot to be honest.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks.

Comments

• dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    I've tried the CCNA and it is vastly more difficult than the N+. Even the CCENT is a lot more difficult. Just IMO obviously.
    I have my N+ exam on the 22nd and I'm kind of in the same boat as you as to whether I'll bother smashing the S+ straight after.
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah well I set out to do CCNA in the 1st place but decided to go down to N+ to get basic Networking Knowledge and not to be overwhelmed and I'm really glad I did! I think S+ would be an easy one so might go for CCNA with Sec+ on the side... So 3 days learning CCNA and 1 day S+ in the week. Might be quite nice variation.

Good luck with N+ by the way!
    Thats pretty much what I did. I did get overwhelmed and disheartened with the CCNA I'm hoping when I go back to it the foundational stuff from the N+ helps.
    Thank you I should be good
    I'm pretty sure you will be ok with CCNA after N+. There is a lot to learn in N+ and its a great basis for CCNA.
    Yeah I'm definitely hoping so. Its a pity the Odom book is massively boring
    Is it? I went for Todd Lammle's and ok.
    I found it boring. I quite liked the CCENT for Dummies book.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Net+ is similar to the CCENT in some ways and you will definitely grasp the concepts better since you have your net+. As for the the ICND2 it is a whole different monster :)
    Thanks, will learn the appropriate materials and see how I go, got a home lab so hopefully using real life lab will help.
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, the Network+ is simple compared to the CCNA. It's like comparing grade school to college or as someone once told me. The N+ is like a BB gun and the CCNA is a 12 gauge.

It will take much longer to compete I think six months is a good estimate and what it's shaping up to be for me. Everything will depend on how much time you put into it.

All that matters is that you stay motivated though and you can certainly do it, I'm just warning you not to think is going to be as easy as N+ was. Good luck.
    draught wrote: »
    No, the Network+ is simple compared to the CCNA. It's like comparing grade school to college or as someone once told me. The N+ is like a BB gun and the CCNA is a 12 gauge.

It will take much longer to compete I think six months is a good estimate and what it's shaping up to be for me. Everything will depend on how much time you put into it.

All that matters is that you stay motivated though and you can certainly do it, I'm just warning you not to think is going to be as easy as N+ was. Good luck.

Oh yeah I don't think its going to be easy at all, but I've looked through the topics and they do translate from Network+. I'm planning 4 weeks on theory and 2 weeks on practical.