Have to take more than 1 cert at a time?

Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
I am interested in the BS Computer Networks and Security at University of Maryland - University College. Within the course track that I am left to complete after transferring my AA, all the required upper level computer classes are directed towards one certification or another. So I would have to take a minimum of two certs at the same time (ex:ICND2 and LPIC-1 , or Security+ and CCNP-Switch, or 70-646 and CCDA).

I'm guessing I wont have much of a choice. I also realize that the school would only care about passing the class and not officially at prometric. meaning that the courses may not touch into all the required material maybe? maybe doing it slower and making sure i get the cert is best?

These are the courses (3cr each) that I need to turn my AA into a BS. (I have all the gen eds and the certs I already have get waived)

A+
Network+
Security+
ICND2 (they dont have ICND1)
70-746 Win Server Admin
LPIC-1 Linux Admin
CCNP Route
CCNP Switch
CCNP TSHOOT
CCDA
and As elective, CWNA and Active Directory and Network Infrastructure to give me MCSA:2008.

So there are alot of certs that I get when I Graduate. (A+, N+, S+, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, LPIC-1 CWNA and MCSA:200icon_cool.gif

Has anyone done this before because of school or just because they wanted to? any insight?
What are the best ways to study for two classes at once?
Maybe I should take it slow and do two cert exams per semester and pass it as opposed to barely passing 3 classes but likely not passing the cert exam?
2019 Goals
CompTIA Linux+
[ ] Bachelor's Degree

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cmon guys i know one of you has the answer im looking for
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    While many would say it may not be best advice to study for two certifications at the same time, it doesn't look like you really have a choice there. By what you said, the classes don't require you to take the certification exam, only pass the class. So my guess is, having taken a few classes like that before, they don't really prepare you for the exam, only to pass their tests. If you want to gain the certs, most likely you will be going above and beyond what they have you do, especially on the higher tiered ones (CCXX, MCSA).

If you can, try and pair the classes to make it easier on you. Say N+ with CCNA+, A+ MCSA, LPIC CWNA. This way you should have an easier classes paired with most likely a harder one, depending on your background. I wouldn't take three classes for sure, as you won't pass the certifications at the same time.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • sammysamesammysame Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I am living proof that unless they are easy peasy certs or really related, it is too much to achieve.

I tried CCNA Voice and CCNP at the same time and got burnt out at 90% for ccna voice and 70% for ccnp route.

DO one at a time and put your 100% into it.
  • LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think you should go for it. You'll already be at least part way into the material.

I see you already have your A+ & Net+. What classes would you be taking at the same time?
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.
    Thanks guys. Yes i do want to go above and beyond the normal syllabus so that I can sit and pass the official exams.
    I have no idea what I am going to take first. I have a year before my admission so i was hoping to complete Security+(transfers for cr) and my CCENT(since they dont offer it). Then officially enroll taking ICND2 and something else.
    What other cert in the list would be good to start with ICND2??
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    Also the classes are broken up into 8 week sessions. (two 8 wk sessions per semester)This gives me the chance to focus on one cert solely for 8 weeks.

Is it possible to dedicate 100% of my efforts into one exam and pass it within 2 months?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think all of them except the ICDN2 and the CCNP exams are passable in 2 months. Others may argue they are. So you might want to start studying for those ahead of time so that you can pass them by the end or soon after the end of you class.

I've heard of other people studying for more than one cert at a time. They typically have a primary focus, then switch to a secondary when bored/burning out. For you what ever class you're taking would be the primary and then I'd study one of the tougher cisco tracks that you have coming up soon.
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.
    So maybe its best to try to take LPIC, CWNA and the Microsoft exams first (passing each within 2 months) while maybe holding off the CCNP exams until the end? I really want the ccnp knowlege to stick so maybe itll help to slow down when i get to them.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    I also wish to take the CCDA exam after ccnp switch or after the ccnp altogether. I hear that its very underestimated.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ideally you should study one at a time. Two gets a bit precarious at best. Trying to do two every eight weeks and your going to feel considerable hurt after a period of time, let alone retain any of it.

Best advice from a career studier/learner would be to knock out as much as you can before hand. It will tell you how much pain you can work through while building your study stamina - so to say.

Breaks are needed on occasion to provide relief from the monotony of studying as well.

Best study tip? Read about 20 minutes and take a quick break so you can transfer your new found insight from short term to long term memory. Doesn't have to be a long break but its a tip that very much helps.

- beads
    Edit. I have decided to replace LPIC with Microsoft 70-680.
    I hear it's attainable in two months with some prior server experience. Does completing my MCSA:server2008 give me an advantage? Or should I nail this before the MCSA?

Also, I have also decided to not sit for the actual CWNA exam as I dont have a wireless background nor do I have equiptment. I'll gladly sit the class and pass by their standards though.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since Microsoft exams often overlap and have the same basic "look and feel" then yes, its an advantage. Many Microsoft exams cover much the same material as other Microsoft exams.

Sounds like a smart choice in my opinion.

- beads
  • tech_stonetech_stone Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From the point of academic load, it depends on what else is going on in your life. Do you have a full time job, are you able to commit the time and effort to accomplish the task. From the standpoint of having all those certs, I am sure that it will be an advantage to you, however its better you get an A in 2 or 3 classes as opposed to 5c's for 5 classes. Coming from just finishing a masters degree in Information Systems, your classes can be very demanding. Make sure that you can handle the load, and not feel overwhelmed.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I regularly take 2 cert exams the same day. They usually have some overlap, like taking both Exchange 2013 exams, so it's more like taking the same test twice than two different exams. It would be easier to do if you can group a few together, say Net+ and ICND2, Route and Tshoot, or Switch and Tshoot (the Cisco guys could give you better advice as to which exams group the best). If you can't group them, then just cram each exam into its own block. Instead of taking 2 months for LPIC and Sec+, spend a month on Sec+, pass it, and move on to LPIC the next month. You only have so many hours to study and lab so don't waste time switching between subjects.