CompTIA CASP blog articles at TechExams.Net

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Looks very thorough. Will read tomorrow during my commute. Thanks for the taking the time to do this.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very good JD. This mostly confirms what most of us have been saying.

However, let's take it a step further: If you were interviewing candidates or selecting candidates to interview based on resumes, what kind of impact would CASP have on your decisions? Would it make a significant difference for any candidate at any level?
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    From my point of view, certifications held by job candidates that are relevant to a job position I am hiring for will cause me to give them a call for an interview sooner than other resumes on the pile that don't have relevant certs. I don't make any assumptions on skill or expertise based on certifications acquired by a candidate. I only assume candidates have strong exposure to the information covered by their certs. I still need to interview them to know what they can/can't do.

As for CASP, it shows someone has exposure to the types of security controls, policies, and issues that mid-to-large enterprises face. Someone with CASP knows something about security design, implementation, and troubleshooting. For the line of work that I am presently in, I would certainly consider favoring the holder of CASP with an interview to find out what they really know and can do.
  • timrvttimrvt Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CASP has just been added to the DoD 8570 certs...iat III /iam II
    and GIAC GSE and GIAC GSIF removed.......
    from the 2013 DIAP 01/24 meeting
    Do you have a link to official documentation or an announcement?
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    timrvt wrote: »
    CASP has just been added to the DoD 8570 certs...iat III /iam II
    and GIAC GSE and GIAC GSIF removed.......
    from the 2013 DIAP 01/24 meeting

You have to have a link before you make claims like this...

Found the link: IT Training Programs | Microsoft Training in Northern VA
    Don't know how reliable this is though
    That graphic certainly shows CASP added, but shows GIAC's GISF and GSE too. I'll keep a lookup for an official DoD press release to verify what changes to 8570.01 actually occurred.
  • sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is official, it just hasn't been added to DISA's cert table yet. The GSE and GISF will be removed.

If you have a DoD cac, PM me and I will send you a link to read about it.
  • timrvttimrvt Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I dont fwd DoD email links.....really..
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Great information on the CASP. Good to see it has been approved for DoD. Even though JDMurray mentions in his blog that most job boards don't recognize "CASP" as a valid search term right now, with it approved by DoD, that is sure to change though it might still take some time. I found it really interesting that the DoD table (posted unofficially here: IT Training Programs | Microsoft Training in Northern VA) shows CASP on the same level of the CISSP in many categories.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    That means there is going to be demmand for better study material..... icon_study.gif (hint, hint... Darril)