Options

I passed too! (Brief exam review included)

OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just passed my Security + exam about an hour and a half ago, what a relief! 812/900.

First and foremost, I would like to personally thank Darril icon_cheers.gif. Your book was a my main resource and you personally are on here giving us advice and answering our redundant questions. If you are ever in central Illinois, I will buy the drinks. Thanks again!

The performance based questions were easy and as follows:
  1. Match differnt types of authentication - something you know, something you have, and something you are.
  2. Configure the ACL on a firewall - you will need to know your ports and if they are TCP, UDP, or both on this one.
  3. Order of Volitility.
There were very few port based questions (maybe one or two), but I would have failed the performance based question if I hadn't memorized them. As some posters have suggested, the questions were poorly worded and different than Derrill's questions, so I reccomend mastering the content rather than the practice questions.

Comments

• Options
    BaackBaack Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the heads up on the performance based questions

Congrats on your pass
  • Options
    cw3kcw3k Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed too. I do use Darril's book as my only material. However, I think you do need some experiences to pass it.

The exam is harder than I expected.

Next up, CISSP
  • Options
    OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's a good certification to go for next? I jusst scored 22/30 on the Comptia Network + practice exam, and I've never studied for it before.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats on the pass OmniMan!

The CCENT/CCNA will have a better ROI if you want to go for a Network-based cert next.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    @OmniMan - congrats on the pass and thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear the book helped. With the Security+ knowledge fresh in your mind, you'll find that you have some knowledge that will apply to the Network+ (though it's often done the other way around - Network+ then Security+). Good luck on whatever path you take.

@cw3k - Congrats on the pass and welcome to the forums. You're correct that experience is useful too. CompTIA expects you to have two years of experience. You'll find that the same principle applies (and is greatly amplified) with the CISSP. Good luck with the CISSP. Along those lines, if you thought the Security+ was harder than you expected, you might like to consider taking the SSCP as an interim exam on your way to the CISSP. It builds on your Security+ knowledge, it's easier to pass than the CISSP, and the knowledge you gain directly applies to the CISSP. Good luck.