Starting my journey

Snyper82Snyper82 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've decided to take the Sec+ for my first exam/cert. I have the CompTia Security+ Cert Study guide book by Clarke. I've noticed on here most people using a book by Darril... any suggestions?

I hope to schedule the test for late next month.

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums.

"Any suggestions?" Set a date and study hard until then.

Many people use more than one certification book for any certification to get different perspectives. This is especially useful if you come across a topic that you don't quite understand from one source.

Good luck.
  • Snyper82Snyper82 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good point
    I've been putting off setting a date, would hate to have it come up and not be ready!
    There's another way you can look at setting a date. When you set it, you'll do everything you can to be ready by that date. Without a date, it's easy for the goal to be forgotten as other life events get in the way.

Many success-oriented speakers, authors, and coaches have said "a goal is a dream with a deadline" and "goals without deadlines are dreams." In both cases, they suggest you include a time element to any goal you set and you have a much better chance at achieving it.

That's not to say that you won't pass this exam by late next month. I hope you do.

Good luck.
  • kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even though Darril is too humble to plug his book, I will do it for him. Buy his book. Most complete source for a cert I have ever read. Taking the test Wednesday, and never felt so confident. So far, I've used his book, and google. I have destroyed every practice test I've taken so far with just these two sources. Good luck with your studies dude.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
    Thanks for the kind words kanecain. Good luck with the exam on Wednesday.

You might like to check out the blog page before you take the exam. I just added a blog on a smurf attacks and have another one scheduled for Monday on Risk Management methods (such as risk transference, risk acceptance, and so on).
  • KeithJaggerKeithJagger Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do the work. Beat the test. And you will. Do it, amigo....you will rock it.
  • Snyper82Snyper82 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Alright, you all convinced me... ordered the book and purchased the voucher, when I get the book in my hands I'll schedule the test for a month out...
    The way I see it, Darril's book, Messer's videos, and the other book I have ought to get me well acquainted with security!
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Snyper82 wrote: »
    Darril's book, Messer's videos, and the other book I have ought to get me well acquainted with security!

This is definitely all that you need. Pay attention to the formatting in Darril's book, as he states in the beginning of the book. It is very well written and will prepare you not just for learning the material, but learning how to take this particular exam.

Good luck Snyper82!