Options

pearson/vue practice test - is it worth it?

mikesprangermikespranger Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
just went online to schedule my ICND1 and there were 3 options: one with a lab, one with a practice test for $197.50 and just the exam for $150

anyone have any experience with the practice test option? is it worth $47.50 or would I be better off going to boson or elsewhere?

also- is it just a disc, paper, or an actual at-the-site practice exam?

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, would love to get my exam scheduled today.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    my odom icnd1 book ($40) came with a dvd with 2 free ICND1 exams, and 2 free CCNA exams, and each question has an "answer button" explaining how the correct answer was reached. I loved it.
  • Options
    txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I purchased the Boson ExSim Max for 99 bucks. I feel like it was worth it. The format of the practice exams is like the real test and it will also give you the answers with explinations.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1 for Boson ExSim Max. It's pretty awesome. I used it... and it was pretty spot on. Predicted my passing and failing. :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just try not to memorize the answers because once you do that, using it as a gauge of how well you are doing goes out the window. I used it about a week before I took the CCENT.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah. There's a right way and a wrong way to use a practice exam.

The best way I've found is to think opposite of the question...

ie: "Which of the following is a description of a vlan?"
    Becomes: "Which of the following is NOT a description of a vlan? Why?"

Just knowing "Yes" or "No" doesn't cut it for Cisco. Know the theory behind "Why". I've had multiple questions where if I didn't know the theories I wouldn't easily gotten points wrong - and I did for my ICND1 first time. It's the one thing that kept with me is that even the simple looking questions have to be thought through. I love a challenge!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    The practice questions on the Cisco Learning Network are also very beneficial imo.
  • Options
    mikesprangermikespranger Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the info and insight everyone!

i opted against the one offered by Pearson - I have two discs, one that came with a book i bought by walker, says it has 100 practice questions from boson, but doesnt claim to be a simulation of the test. The other one came with an older version of Odom's book.

Haven't looked at either yet - so I don't memorize the questions as txraider said, but I think I'm going to crack into one tomorrow and maybe one saturday depending on how the 1st goes.

I am scheduled for the 19th and have NO idea how ready I am. I seem to have subnetting down ( I can do most of the questions on subnettingquestions.com w/ minimal use of scrap paper) but I know I am weak on theory.
  • Options
    Theory is important. Like Roguetadhg said, knowing why some possible answers are wrong is very important.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    buy the ciscopress icnd1 3rd edition by odom from Amazon it comes with 2 indy1 prace test along with 2 CCNa practice test. These test are by Pearson IT.. Book only cost $22.00 bucks
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't waste your cash on the pearson practice tests. There are good practice tests on cisco.com and even on techexams that you can utilize.