Going for Linux+ (for real this time) Getting it for free..FTW

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Got an e-mail yesterday that I had won a sweepstakes I had entered through Sybex facebook page and won free CompTIA exam and study materials. Since it was only for A+ Net+ Sec+ Project+ or Linux+ and I have all the others lifetime.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just saw that on my fb feed. Congrats!
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I also gave the guy from Sybex a heads up about this site. He said he had never heard about it. I told him that a couple Sybex authors/trainers were at least semi active here (Darril Gibson and Todd Lammie) as well as Mike Meyers (Sybex competition)
    I may start getting back on TE more now since I have an exam to actively work on. Have just been studying stuff to help me with work (still private contracting) and don't really have time or money for extra tests.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • kemar1014kemar1014 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hopefully you can pass on some that info.
    They're giving me both exam vouchers and the new Jan. 2013 Linux+ study guide and Linux Essentials (both Roderick Smith). As a former WGU student I still have books 24X7 so I have access to a butt-load of other books.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Lucky you! As of lately, I'm actually considering taking the Linux+ exam, but I have been meaning to skip that and take the RHCSA instead. It's just that I have nothing on my resume that screams I have Linux knowledge. If I take the Linux+, then I'd not be forced to buy a new whitebox and just pay the exam fee. However, with the RHCSA/RHCE path requiring one to know how to configure KVM and virtualization, I'm forced to buy a new whitebox with ESXi. So, that's roughly $1,500 counting the exam vouchers as well. It looks like I won't be able to take the exam for a little while until I get a job. On the bright side, I'll finally be able to play around with Windows Server again, configuring Samba.
    I built a whitebox back when I was studying for the 2008 exams. The weird thing is that my laptop can do pretty much everything it does except generate a lot of heat and noise (I also can't expand as much but don't really care to anyway). Now my whitebox sits over in the corner with my Cisco gear and only gets plugged up when I get the hankering to play around with something.
    What do you mean by 'white box'?
    Click this link for more information on whitebox. Thanks me later. icon_lol.gif
    A white box is basically a computer (or server) capable of running ESXi and other associated stuff. Mine is set up with 6 hard drives and 3 quad NICs but I hardly ever touch it anymore. It's basically so that I could run a boatload of VMs and not have bottlenecks with HDDs, and NICs (I know you can virtualize that stuff but I just started adding more stuff). Here's a site that tells a little about them Ultimate whitebox
    Thanks. Maybe if yiu spent less time on your comedy routine you would have a job.
    What Linux+ Distro to use for studying? Also should I go ahead and start using a server OS or wait until later?

I already have Ubuntu and Ubuntu server on Virtual box and was looking at what other distro would be good to study with.
    From what I know you will still need a Red Hat like distro, either Fedora or CentOS.
    Downloaded Fedora and put on virtualbox along with Ubuntu, Ubuntu server, and Debian. Got email with codes today but haven't had time to schedule. The Sybex rep also sent me Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Administration (Sander van Vugt) but he said it probably wouldn't be on test

So far have been mostly studying Essentials book as it has a lot of stuff I didn't know.
    You're really lucky you got the latest RHEL book from Sybex. It just came out last month. From that book, you probably only need to know the Red Hat package manager (rpm) and the update manager (yum), which are used on Red Hat based distributions such as Fedora, CentOS, and Scientific Linux. Looks like you're progressing well. I'm still learning new things even after my third Linux/Unix book, which is the fun part.
    You're really lucky you got the latest RHEL book from Sybex. It just came out last month. From that book, you probably only need to know the Red Hat package manager (rpm) and the update manager (yum), which are used on Red Hat based distributions such as Fedora, CentOS, and Scientific Linux. Looks like you're progressing well. I'm still learning new things even after my third Linux/Unix book, which is the fun part.
    The Linux+ and the RH book both just came out last month. Thanks for the info of what I might need to know for the test.