Options

Hiding shares from a specific group of users, win 2003

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
I have a share and I have two sub folders in the share
I only want two users to be able to see two sub folders in the share
the rest of the users I don't even want them to see the two sub folders in the share (in other words I want it to be hidden)
But I still want all the users to be able to see the shared folder

Is that possible in win 2003 server?

I know in Novell you can give everyone permission and then remove all the right's, read, write, etc and it hides the actual folder from users i do not want to give access to the share sub folders...

I did not want to use admin share $ or the Hide folder opition as they have access to display hidden files and folders

D-boy

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    i don't think so you can do that. one way to hide them from everyone else would be to use the $ and then either map a network drive for the two users or have them access the share via a UNC path.
    witty comment
  • Options
    stallion750stallion750 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe if you have read access for all users on the shared folder, then turn off read access on the folders you want to hide, then enable read access to the folders for the two users, you should be good to go. I believe you may have to turn off inheritance on the 2 folders you want hidden. I will be testing what I told you this afternoon, if I am wrong I will post a correction here.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    removing the read permission will simply disable access to the folder, but it will still be visible.
    witty comment
  • Options
    stallion750stallion750 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe you are right, I guess your best bet is to use the $ trick and just tell the users of the existence of the folders. I'll keep looking. ;)
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try messing around with the List folder permission. I believe that is to remove people from seeing the folder.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!

I did do research, but could not find anything... icon_confused.gif

When you deselect List folder permissions, it hides the sub folders and not the share folder. I need it to hide the share folder from just a group of users, but still letting them see the sub folders in the the share folder...
  • Options
    even if you remove all their permissions or set them all to deny, they will still be able to see it.
    witty comment
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    There is a download available from MS

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=04a563d9-78d9-4342-a485-b030ac442084&DisplayLang=en

This hides any directory that you do not have any access for ... I haven't tried it so I'm not sure if it does exactly what you want.
  • Options
    woodworm wrote:
    There is a download available from MS

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=04a563d9-78d9-4342-a485-b030ac442084&DisplayLang=en

This hides any directory that you do not have any access for ... I haven't tried it so I'm not sure if it does exactly what you want.

woodworm you are the man! Thanks, I'm going to start testing this today!

this is just what I was looking for! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    _omni_ wrote:
    i don't think so you can do that. one way to hide them from everyone else would be to use the $ and then either map a network drive for the two users or have them access the share via a UNC path.
    This is how I do it at work as well and then map the share to the users you wish to have access. The alternative as stated would be to have the users find it via UNC.

I'm curious to see the results from the MS utility as well.
  • Options
    Thanks again woodworm!

I have tested it and it works like a dream icon_wink.gif , We are going to install it on all our 2003 servers icon_lol.gif

D-boy