Does anybodies company offer to sponsor multiple CCIE lab attempts?

CheesyBreadCheesyBread Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
Now that I'm nearing my CCNP (2/3), I'm looking past it towards the CCIE.

I've heard whispers of companies paying for multiple attempts at the CCIE lab, up to 6 failures I've heard one company was willing to shell out the lab fee for. I brought this up to my boss after a conversation of how my company does not pay for failed tests. He proposed that if I could provide evidence of it being customary for companies to pay for multiple CCIE lab attemps, he might be able to swing it through upper management.

Does anybody have any kind of information or a direction they can point me in to try and cough up some details? I'm sure I'm at least 12-18 months away from my CCIE written, but I'd like to make some headway on this matter this year.

Many thanks.

Comments

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cisco employees get 3 paid lab attempts.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Cisco employees get 3 paid lab attempts.

Depending on their manager they could get even more attempts.

\
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wish. I have paid for all of it.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've had 4 attempts in total (that means 2 failures) and never had this issue - my employeer always paid the attempts.

To be fair the cost for the lab itself is a SMALL cost in the total calculation of how much a CCIE education costs.
    That is unless you do it completely with private financing and outside of your work but then how does it make sense to let your employer pay for the lab then anyway.

Normally an employeer will only be ready to "sponsor" a CCIE education if they truely believe the candidate can do it. Being a barely CCNP that I wouldn't say is the optimal position.
  • CheesyBreadCheesyBread Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is there anybody out there that works for a gold partner that can provide the number of lab attempts your employer provides?
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I work for a gold partner and they'll pay for 2 lab attempts (pass/fail) and reimburse you 100% on your 3rd ONLY if you pass.

thadizzy hit the nail on the head...$1,500 is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost (bootcamps, equipment, etc). I bought my equipment before I was hired with my employer, so that was a few grand out of my pocket plus about $1k in books alone.

I started this journey before I had their support, so I was prepared to do whatever I had to pay for all of this, short of selling my body (which I could surely get a premium for).

Also, I'm not sure if it's true, but I "heard" Cisco employees no longer get 3 paid lab attempts anymore. I could verify with one of them, but I'm too lazy to do it right now. Anyone know for sure?
  • thetrillionairethetrillionaire Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I get three paid lab attempts per year per track but I work for Cisco.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    As many as it takes, but after the 3rd time I think you have to get some peer reviews to ensure your not wasting anyones time and you are putting in the hours.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Question for you guys, when your employers pay for these attempts do they make you some sort of agreement(i.e. if you leave the company in xyz time frame will have to pay the company back)or is considered part of your development and it is completely free?
    Ours doesn't make any written or verbal agreements- their idea is invest in your people and it'll come back..kind of a good karma method of training I suppose. My last company required a 2 year agreement to stay on with them. Your lab attempt/bootcamp were prorated against those 24 months, so if you left at 12 months, for example, you paid 50% back. Current company does none of that.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    atorven wrote: »
    Question for you guys, when your employers pay for these attempts do they make you some sort of agreement(i.e. if you leave the company in xyz time frame will have to pay the company back)or is considered part of your development and it is completely free?

12 months prorated on any training you asked for. Any training required is on the house.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It took awhile to get approved, but I didn't need to sign a contract or anything.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Last 2 employers asked for a 12 month commitment for ANY exam reimbursement/training or you had to pay back in full. Current employer doesn't require anything and rewards every so often for certifications and/or renewals.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    atorven wrote: »

I heard rumours they wanted something like this, but they found out this is illegal in Sweden where I work so that of course never happened.
  • CheesyBreadCheesyBread Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My company requires a 12 month commitment for college tuition reimbursement, but nothing on paid training or exam fee refunds or anything. Although I'm sure there would be hours of guilt tripping on your way out the door.
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    I work for a gold partner, and the official policy is first attempt and passing attempt are paid, although I believe there is some manager discretion. I am not sure about a commitment to stay, but then I don't have any plans to change.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    My company will pay form my first attempt and my last attempt "the one I pass".
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • xetrevxetrev Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My company paid for the three attempts it took me and a two week INE.com bootcamp.

I didn't have to sign anything.

They are paying for my second bootcamp and all labs associated with my second track and all the lab equipment to study.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bundiman wrote: »
    My company will pay form my first attempt and my last attempt "the one I pass".
    Do they pay you twice if you pass the first time? :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    I don't know guys, I'm a strong advocate of receiving an all expenses paid trip to fiji in exchange for passing :)