I'm new!!

inina1212inina1212 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm new to this site, but super excited about the IT field. I want to start a career in Cybersecurity, but don't know where to start. :-/ Can someone give me some type of guidence?? Is it better to get a degree and then the certs or the certs while working towards the degree?

Comments

• BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Start with Security+, easy will give you the concepts of security. I highly recommend Derril Gibson security+ 301 book. Allot of people come here wanted to start with security, but end up going into something else (Including Myself). Search around the site take a look at the different section and find what interests you the most, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • inina1212inina1212 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    THANK YOU!!! I've been studying for my Security + and searched for books on Amazon, but wasn't sure which to buy. Would you recommend getting a degree or just the certs and experience??
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I literally just signed up 10 minutes ago.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard!
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The degree I can't say as I don't have one. But I cant tell you that allot of employers don't recommend security+ they actually require it for hiring. There are allot of folks here on TE that are very very successful without a college degree, I guess it really depends on the person, and what their goals are.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
    Ok. Thank you for the info. :)
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Welcome to Tech Exams!

1. Get an I.T. job (help desl, junior admin, NOC tech, etc..). Most people will not get into security right away, you will need to work a few years before you get a break most likely. If you already have an IT job, well great, move to certifications/degree.
    2. If you do not have a degree, I would get a few certifications to show employers you have some book knowledge and hopefully you can get interviews with that. CCNA is a great certification to get. It may be a little on the harder side for people new to IT but it's completely worth it.
    3.After gaining a cert or two, I would enroll into a Bachelor's program. Anything you can add to your resume will help.
    4. Always be on the look out for entry level security jobs! And as we all know, entry level security jobs are not really entry level..you need prior networking/O.S./application experience usually.
    Welcome to Tech Exams!

1. Get an I.T. job (help desl, junior admin, NOC tech, etc..). Most people will not get into security right away, you will need to work a few years before you get a break most likely. If you already have an IT job, well great, move to certifications/degree.
    2. If you do not have a degree, I would get a few certifications to show employers you have some book knowledge and hopefully you can get interviews with that. CCNA is a great certification to get. It may be a little on the harder side for people new to IT but it's completely worth it.
    3.After gaining a cert or two, I would enroll into a Bachelor's program. Anything you can add to your resume will help.
    4. Always be on the look out for entry level security jobs! And as we all know, entry level security jobs are not really entry level..you need prior networking/O.S./application experience usually.

Thank you!. This helped a lot. I don't work in the IT field, but I do work within staffing the IT for gov't agencies which is where my interest came into play. So is is safe to say I should get my Security +, then CCNA, and then a degree in CyberSecurity?
  • Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to Techexams!
    Remember certifications are not everything.

If I were you, I would study the Network+ material until you could pass the test (its up to you if you want to spend the $270 for the exam) -> CCNA -> security+. Starting with networking will help with your security+ exam.
    Oh! So it makes more sense to get the Net+ first?? My end goal is cyber security and I've been told to get the Sec+ first...logically speaking from an IT pro perspective, which makes the most sense??
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Well think about this way...security is dealing with protecting applications/networks/Operating Systems (generalizing of course). You can't "just" learn security, you have to know how the application/network/O.S. works before you can secure it properly..that's why I suggest reading about the Network+ and CCNA first...maybe even a Linux or Mircosoft certification after that.

Baby steps grasshopper.
    THIS IS EXCITING!!! Thanks for the guidance older grasshopper. I really appreciate all the help.