Officially a CCNA!

kmusk01kmusk01 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed my ICND2 test this morning with a score of 930, and can't be happier!! I still had 30 minutes to go.

A little background of how I got here. I started my current job 5 years ago and had no networking experience at all. I had a lot of help desk support so I was hired for that. Well I ended up getting thrown in the middle of doing network upgrades at different Nascar tracks that we own. Talk about being in over my head. I had no clue what a subnet was, or even what a switch really looked like! I was actually putting configs on switches before I even knew what the commands were.

I am the type of person that doesn't like not knowing what I am doing. So I started reading about Cisco in my spare time. I then decided I should go one step further and get my CCENT. Took about 6 months of reading, and watching videos and took the test. Passed with no issue. I ended up telling myself I would take 1 month off then start for ICND2. Well that 1 month turned into 2.5 years later!!

3 months ago I received an email from Cisco saying my certification was going to expire and I knew it was coming up. So I studied for a week and took the ICND2 exam and failed by 1 question icon_sad.gif I knew I needed to go over things a little closer this time especially OSPF. Where I work we use EIGRP so I am familiar with it. I ended up waiting 2 more months and really studied for it, and this morning I passed :)

To me the exam wasn't too hard it was really the wording that got to me. They truly do try to trick you. Below is what I ended up doing the last 2 months to study:

- Odoms books - Very detailed and dry, but good info
- CBT Nuggets Video - Excellent to watch and not boring. Easy to grasp.
- Chris Bryant - By far the best thing I have read/watched. He has his course on udemy.com and worth every penny!
- This web site :)
- Real Cisco equipment to practice

I am lucky as I can use real equipment at my work all day long. So learning commands is easy as I do them nearly every day.

I think I going to go for wireless next as I have been in charge of all our WLAN controllers at the tracks, and to be honest once again I am in over my head. I can configure them and all, but really don't know what I am doing and don't like that feeling.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Ken~

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    congrats on pass!!!!!
  • dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Darwin84Darwin84 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice score - Congratulations!
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats and thanks for the background info
  • maddemmaddem Member Posts: 117 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Well done
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • KragsterKragster Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ken,

Congrats! Thanks for the info on study materials.

And I used to work for MWR so I can say I don't envy you the wireless responsibility. If you've seen any site survey results during a race weekend the congestion level at the track are pretty ridiculous.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • havenladhavenlad Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent post. I'm opposite - they won't let me touch anything until I am qualified - very annoying
  • kmusk01kmusk01 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. Already printed out my book for studying with for CCNA-Wireless. Hope to at least site for that exam before year end. We will see how crazy this Nascar season is going to be. Already started out with a big bang... Just happy no one was seriously hurt.

Ken~
  • gparmargparmar Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330