Boson compared to the actual CCENT exam

notheorynotheory Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I just took my first practice exam (Boson ICND1).
I've answered 45 questions in 60 minutes and got 73% right.

I want to get at least 90% right before I take the actual exam.

Anyone knows how hard/easy the Boson practice exams are compared to the actual exam?

Thanks,

Comments

• NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    I've heard the Boson practice exam is actually harder than the actual exam, but not entirely sure.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    I used Boson practice exams and found them as hard as the exam. If you can consistently score 90% on Boson, you should be fine.

J
  • ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    I took the Boson practice exam before sitting for the CCENT. I can say with confidence that the Boson exam was more difficult than the actual CCENT exam. Dont be fooled however, the CCENT exam was still a challenge in its own right. The questions on the Boson exam (including the sims) seemed a little bit more in depth and required a little bit more critical thinking.

As others have stated, consistently hitting 90% on your practice exams will probably be a good indication that you'll do fine. Good luck!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • notheorynotheory Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.

A few last questions..

Right now I only have the Boson practice exam which came with the Official Cisco CCNA library. I can only select 1 ICND1 practice exam (Study Mode only) which contains 150 questions.
    How did you practice? Did you do 40-50 questions only at once to simulate the actual exam or did you do all the 150 question during a practice session?

Also, if I'd buy the actual Boson ICND1 practice exam: 640-822 ICND1 CCENT Practice Exam | Boson how many different exams/questions do I get?
    And what's the "Simulation Mode" which I can't use with my current Boson "license".

Is there another "better" testing software than Boson?

Thanks a million.
  • mikesprangermikespranger Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the simulation mode has you entering things in the CLI, they make you configure stuff from scratch-

it shows 4 or 5 exams when you buy it, but i've only done 1, don't know if the questions repeat at all.

i'd say buy it if you can afford it, it has been HUGE so far in identifying weakness areas
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    notheory wrote: »
    Is there another "better" testing software than Boson?

Check out CertGuard | IT Certification Exam Security & Integrity for a list of legitimate testing software. People have mentioned transcender and testout as being good for testing. Also i think there are some questions in Chris Bryants trainsignal material.

I also used the examcram book by Jeremy Cioara which has practice questions for ICND1 and 2. Well worth a look!

Amazon.com: CCNA Practice Questions (Exam 640-802) (3rd Edition) (9780789737144): Jeremy Cioara: Books
    I got the book of Jeremy Cioara. I hope the answers and explanations in it are correct.

I'm still contemplating about the Boson exams though, as it is i bit more expensive than the practice book was :).
  • mikesprangermikespranger Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fwiw, i thought the boson was WAY harder than the ccent.
    i was scoring 650-750 on the boson and got an 837 first try on ccent
    boson tests are hyperspecific and geared more towards memorization, i thought the ccent was more towards an overall knowledge of material
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The Boson exam is very similar to the CCENT exam, well worth the investment! Once I take ICND2, I will definitely buy their practice exam.
    Hmmmm, is it possible that the exam which comes with the Official Library (Wendell Odom) isn't the actual Boson exam? Because I do find that one very hard. Especially the question wording is sometimes rather difficult to understand.