C|EH test tomorrow morning!!!

coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
I changed this post title because I feel that my testing experience was a little different from others. My intention in this thread is to educate members who want to challenge the test and not break the NDA(Mods: If you feel like there is a section that shouldn't be posted please let me know so I can educate myself).

The test I took had no grammatical errors so I'm guessing they proofread the test finally......

I will start with the reading material then other sources.

CEH AIO - This was an execellent book that did cover all the areas in the exam but WILL NOT prepare you for the test in my opinion.

Coding Skill:

I feel that the test taker will need a working knowledge of a "mid-level" programming language. Generally knowing what variables are and knowing about the value it can extend itself too.

Markup and Scripting Languages:

A basic understanding and HTML and Javascript will pay dividends on the test.

Tools:

Study the main tools that are highlighted in the book and know the popular query strings and outputs
NMAP
Snort
HPING
Wireshark

Deductive reasoning works well on the exam so use educated guesses for the things you don't know.

If I could do it again:

I would study C|EH v6 material > It seems like they "dumbed" down the already ridiculous amounts of tools and syntaxes you must remember.

Studied "some mid-level" programming language BO parameters.

Followed the "labs" in the official CEH courseware. If you got it "skim it over"; you won't regret it. The courseware design seems logical if you were looking at a powerpoint, but for learning not so much.

I'm sorry if this is hard to follow but I just want to help the potential test taker work as hard as they can before loosing 500 smackers, lol.

If you have any additional questions, PM me. I will not break the NDA or give specific examples about the test.

NO BRAINDUMPS! > If you already know the answers, what is the point!

Pe@ce
Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Don't be, that can screw up your state of mind. Best of luck!
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Don't be, that can screw up your state of mind. Best of luck!

Thanks man, I'm kinda exited too :)
  • AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    You are going to kill it.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No reason to be nervous about this test at all, you'll come back with a pass for sure. icon_thumright.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck, I'll be waiting to hear the results tomorrow morning.
    I take the test at 10:15, either way i'll keep you posted; thanks for the kind words everyone!
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Good luck my friend...
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Good luck coty!
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't need luck, you have studied and you'll do fine.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
    Details when I jump on my computer; im on my phone now. Thanks everyone for encouraging me!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great News!!!! Congrats
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck let us know how you do
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    Please check out the first post; I changed it to a more informative review. Thanks everyone and I LOVE THIS FORUM!!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif

Told you it was nothing to worry about.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats on the pass!

I bought this book (Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide: For Version 7.1 (with Premium Website Printed Access Card and CertBlaster Test Prep Software Printed ... (EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker (Ceh)): Steven DeFino, Larry Greenblatt: 9781133282914: Amaz) to read on the plane last trip I took. I believe I finished 2/3 of it and to *me* it doesn't seem that much more difficult than the Security+. What is your personal comparison to the Sec+ as far as difficulty?

(Quick background on myself: linux admin (scripting), have been using BT and related tools for several years as a hobbyist, keep up with Security news)
  • AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    AnthonyF wrote: »
    Congrats!

Thanks man!
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!

I bought this book (Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide: For Version 7.1 (with Premium Website Printed Access Card and CertBlaster Test Prep Software Printed ... (EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker (Ceh)): Steven DeFino, Larry Greenblatt: 9781133282914: Amaz) to read on the plane last trip I took. I believe I finished 2/3 of it and to *me* it doesn't seem that much more difficult than the Security+. What is your personal comparison to the Sec+ as far as difficulty?

(Quick background on myself: linux admin (scripting), have been using BT and related tools for several years as a hobbyist, keep up with Security news)

As long as your web skills are ok; you should be good :)

I think Sec+(201: the actual exam) and CEH (exam) are like apples and oranges.

Sec+ exam was not really technical to me; in contrast to the actual material they wanted you to know.
    CEH was more along the lines of a Microsoft exam (70-642 comes to mind); lots of exact answers as far as command switches etc.

The material was a little more in depth then Sec+ while being less abstract if that makes sense to you.

I hope this helps!
    Congrats man!!! Glad to see you passed. Not that I had any worries. So what's on next on your list? We could always use more people in our OSCP collaboration team???
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

the_hutch wrote: »
    Congrats man!!! Glad to see you passed. Not that I had any worries. So what's on next on your list? We could always use more people in our OSCP collaboration team???

Goodness, I feel like I'm WAYYYY far off for that cert :) but hey I could use some EXP from you guys

My plan was CCNA > GCIH > CISSP but my discretionary funds are dried up......

Long story short, I'm game if you guys will have me...
    impelse wrote: »
    Congrats

Thanks man, I appreciate it!
    coty24 wrote: »
    My plan was CCNA > GCIH > CISSP but my discretionary funds are dried up......

Sounds like a solid plan man. Because of non-disclosure issues, I'm not going to include anyone in the group who isn't taking the course. But when you do decide to go for it, feel free to hit me up and I'll share what I can of my experiences.
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Sounds like a solid plan man. Because of non-disclosure issues, I'm not going to include anyone in the group who isn't taking the course. But when you do decide to go for it, feel free to hit me up and I'll share what I can of my experiences.

I understand and I appreciate the initial offer; I can't wait to see how to goes! Also look for a PM from me.

Peace
  • eng_ahmedeng_ahmed Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Is it the only book did you read ? i think you have mentioned before something about 2 official manual?
    Where can i buy 2 official CEH manuals as i did not find them in EC-council press tab in CEH web site?
    Sorry for the late response and thanks for the congratulations; the official courseware came with the bootcamp class.

So the only book I really read was the AIO by Matt Walker.