Certification Plans and a Bit Confusion

Hi Everyone,

I've really got this thing going on in my mind that I find it very hard to get off it.
The thing is I love Networking and I want to be an Expert by the time I graduate : CCIE.
I plan to take my CCNA next month and after that my CCNP, and then CCNA and NP Voice. But the thing is I do not want to forget whatever it is that I learn, as I plan to study for my certs on holidays (pursing degree, 3 years to go). I've been thinking to be able to do this, I can just setup a lab at home so as to practice, but then setting up a lab can be expensive too. Do you guys think GNS 3 will be good enough for me to practice my CCNA and CCNP... so that I don't forget whatever it is I've learnt during the holidays. Please give me any advice.

Seriously, any idea would help. I know I may sound a bit noob but trust me, whichever advise you give will help.
Preparing for CCNA Certification :study:
Up Next: CCNP
Onto the Next: CCNA Voice
And Umm: CCNP Voice

Comments

• DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are planning on doing the CCIE real equipment isthe only way to go, The CCIE test will not use simulator it will use real equipment.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    This is still quite a bit over my currently planned certification track; however, judging by the collective knowledge I've seen on the site so far concerning this... I would say that you definitely need the equipment for those particular exams.

It seems to me that the only Cisco exam you can "get away with" not setting up a lab for is ICND1.
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    get CCNA first & try to get a entry level Networking/Cisco job
    While working, the working experience will help u to move your way up !

CCNP with zero work experience is doable , but, u'll be OVER Educated... (Not Recommended)

Packet Tracer is sufficient for CCNA & (better if u lab with real gears)
    for ROUTE & TSHOOT, gns3 is sufficient (better if u lab with real gears)
    for SWITCH, u'll need to lab with layer 3 switches.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Trying to cram X amount of professional and expert certifications into 3 years without corresponding professional experience is a bad idea. Then again, if you want to be able to pass a test and be stumped by trivial things once you get into the job field, go for it but it won't reflect well on you as an employee or make you an expert. Working in a production environment and solving actual real-life scenarios is a lot different than working through the objectives of an exam.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A degree plus a high level cert and no experience is a very bad combination. Do you have experience or at least plans for an internship or co-op that will give you experience with relevant Cisco technology? If not, figure something out. A lot of NOCs are 24/7, so you may be able to find something part time there.

Maybe get the CCNA. Then over the next two years work on a Windows server cert, a linux cert, and Security+ to round out you system and security knowledge, while working on the CCNA specialties to keep your CCNA knowledge fresh. Then in your last year, complete a CCNP exam and work on the others.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • danstardanstar Member Posts: 136
    Thanks JAY, the thing is I am not sure I can do some work while I have my CCNA because I am currently pursuing my Bachelors, but thanks for the tip. I'll put it to USE. I think I should just go for NP before I graduate and seek some internship... and then with the real world experience, go for CCIE
    get CCNA first & try to get a entry level Networking/Cisco job
    While working, the working experience will help u to move your way up !

CCNP with zero work experience is doable , but, u'll be OVER Educated... (Not Recommended)

Packet Tracer is sufficient for CCNA & (better if u lab with real gears)
    for ROUTE & TSHOOT, gns3 is sufficient (better if u lab with real gears)
    for SWITCH, u'll need to lab with layer 3 switches.
    @Irishtheangel, I might agree with you but these cases can be different at times. I know not working in real world with the certs you have may not sound normal..but in my case, I'm pursuing my degree.. and I wanna be a CCNP Voice at least when I graduate. I can remember these things if I read them and also get lots of lab practices done.. and be able to implement this in real world. Anything is possible.

And yes I know real life scenarios can be a lot different that just passing an exam.
    Yes, I have experience working in Networking but not Cisco Equipments. I've been in networking for 6 years now.. just never pursued getting a cert or anything and I must confess, I only know pretty much the basics, never done the cli like this on Cisco. ANd I have plans to go for an Internship after my graduation. Infact, I plan to apply for it in my final year and just before my graduation - go for it. And, I don't think I can find something part time here in India. The Networking market is not really booming here like the USA.

I plan to get my CCNA next montht.. and not sure about Security+ or Network+. It's expensive and I believe everything and much more is covered in the Cisco Path. I might have to go for Linux but won't have to go for the certs. I'll try and install the Debian on my PC so I can know some basics about it..never tried it though but wouldn't hurt to give it a chance. And yes, in my last year I plan to complete my CCNP and CCNP Voice..and get a pain internship in the US for some experience. With experience, certs - I'm pretty sure I'll get a good job anywhere.
    Thanks for your Information, Andy. Straight forward and helpful.
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    A degree plus a high level cert and no experience is a very bad combination. Do you have experience or at least plans for an internship or co-op that will give you experience with relevant Cisco technology? If not, figure something out. A lot of NOCs are 24/7, so you may be able to find something part time there.

Maybe get the CCNA. Then over the next two years work on a Windows server cert, a linux cert, and Security+ to round out you system and security knowledge, while working on the CCNA specialties to keep your CCNA knowledge fresh. Then in your last year, complete a CCNP exam and work on the others.
    Xyro wrote: »
    This is still quite a bit over my currently planned certification track; however, judging by the collective knowledge I've seen on the site so far concerning this... I would say that you definitely need the equipment for those particular exams.

It seems to me that the only Cisco exam you can "get away with" not setting up a lab for is ICND1.
    I believe you can still murder the CCNP with Simulators. Success stories! :d
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just curious, you have been in networking for 6 years but not used the CLI in Cisco- what equipment have you been working with?
    LOL, why do I feel like someone was gonna ask this. Well, the only networking I have been into is just the normal cyber help. Fix lan cables, diagnose pc connectivity issues.. and yes, there are other routers besides Cisco. I have mostly worked with D-Link and Linksys and I think these also run on Cisco Interfaces except for I don't need to use commands to set up or do the stuff you can do with cisco. It's more GUI, just click the button, type in your IP.. and voila. It works.
    When you say you've got 6 years of networking experience people tend to ask those questions. Good luck with your exams.

Thanks for letting me know about D-link and Linksys, I will have to learn about those.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Not to get down on you or anything but I'd call that more helpdesk than networking experience. D-link, Linksys, etc are generally more geared towards consumers and small businesses. Swapping out cables and setting up a home router through the GUI is vastly different than understanding and implementing VTP, STP, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, Multicast, QoS, etc.

Help desk is definitely a start as far as understanding connectivity and interacting with end-users but it's really different than designing or implementing a network, troubleshooting a routing issue, etc
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    @Mrock4, that was a joke...right ? You're a networking legend as I can see.. so stop kidding me. I am sure you started somewhere too.. and just so you know, routers aren't that common where I used to work (and I do not like to say it as work - it's more like how I get to know about cables and networking protocols ).. unlike in the US.
    @Irishtheangel, I totally agree with you. It's more like a HELP desk position and NO, I've never worked with those routing protocols.... thanks to study and youtube tutorials - I can boldly say I have an idea how those things works.. just need to do some more study, lab and nail the cert exams.
    It was a joke. I am humbled by being called a legend but must say there are many others that are much smarter than myself, I've merely hung around and done my job!

Honestly, if you have the ambition to study and learn things properly you will be fine. But- I cannot overemphasize the importance of getting *SOME* hands on experience with cisco gear, even if it's a couple of old switches/routers. Having certifications are great, but if you show up to a customer location and have not ever touched an actual router it will hurt you with respect to your job.

If you shop around, you can get enough gear to do a lot of stuff for $200 or less.
    Thank you so much for the tip but I must say you have enough to be thankful for. Bro, that's a lot of list to have... CCIE written ...
    Yes, I actually know about getting gears for my practice would help a lot and I have plans for that. I am getting close to hitting the amount I need to get *old switches and routers* to use but there is a little problem - I currently live in India and I don't see people listing up cisco routers on ebay. They only have new and extra expensive prices listed.. so I am still not sure about getting these equipment. I even have plans of buying some this new month coming - just not sure how to get them. Even when I have the funds
    One thing to consider, is that whatever you invest in real equipment will come back to you once you are working in a full-time networking role. It's a great investment in your future. Also, at this stage in your learning, you could do a lot with just two switches and build your home lab from there. You don't need a lot of gear starting out (And even in the CCNP level).
    Thanks so much, Mrock4. Can you please list me the types of switch and routers that you think will do for my CCNA and CCNP level. I really want to try all I can to be what I want to be. And with help of Seniors like you, I can achieve that easily. Please list a few equipments that will fit for a CCNA and CCNP level. And if you have some sellers willing to ship items outside the US - I'd be more than happy to buy from them.
    I live in India so shipment has to be made here.
    See, I just checked on ebay india and the cheapest USED cisco router I found was for 8000 Rs. which is about $150. Just for a router and not even with other accessories..
    For switches, I'd look at a 2950 or 3550. 2950 can work fine for the CCNA, but not so much for the CCNP (it will work, but you won't have the layer 3 functionality you'll need for the CCNP).

For routers, I'd recommend a 2600 (2610, 2620, etc) series with a WIC-1T module. You COULD use a 2500 series router (a bit older, but cheaper), but you'll be limited by the memory on the router, so you may not be able to do all commands which are found on the CCNA, and definitely not all of the functions for the CCNP.

In short, for the CCNA, you could get a couple of 2950's (ideally 3) to practice spanning-tree, VLANs, basic security features, etc, and you could use GNS3 (free) to run the router portion.

If you want future growth, look at 3550 switches, and you can either use GNS3 still, or purchase 2600, 1800, or 3600 routers. 2600/3600's would be cheapest out of that bunch..1800's would work for CCNP/CCIE (For now) but cost a bit more.

Again, you don't have to buy it all at once, so you could buy a switch or two and add a couple of routers later.
    Alright, thanks a lot for this.
    I'll look into this.
    So I look at the price online and I think of buying 3 CCNA switch (2950) and 1 router 1800.
    Do you think this is enough to cover my Labbing for CCNA and CCNP? I don't want to settle for the simulators, working with real equipments will give me more getting used to the real world thing.. don't you think ?
    Or better yet settle for 3550 if it has more functionalities than a 2950.
    Please tell me a Switch that will work for both CCNA and CCNP. I do not need it that urgent - I can do the savings for it. I also do not want any limitation. Also, I think the 1800 router is not a bad idea. Its about 125 - 150. I can save for that as it will be very useful for me...
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    danstar wrote: »
    Please tell me a Switch that will work for both CCNA and CCNP. I do not need it that urgent - I can do the savings for it. I also do not want any limitation. Also, I think the 1800 router is not a bad idea. Its about 125 - 150. I can save for that as it will be very useful for me...

Dan,

I think you can't go wrong with a 3550, but if you can find a cheaper 3560, then go for it. Make sure either are POE, just in case you will like to do a bit of dabbling in Voice. As for the routers i don't think you can go wrong with the 1800s but again if you are interested in Voice then you should go for a cheaper 2811. (avoid the 2801, noisy and comes with a different IOS which is not compatible with its seniors brothers)
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    OK now. I'm a bit amazed and confused. I'm going the Voice track. Which router and switch do you advise me to go for ? I am making plans on buying them in the next few days, a friend of mine is visiting the states and he is buying them for me.
    WHOA, the 3560 is friggin' expensive bro. I'd rather go for the 3550. I think that should go for My CCNA/NP/Voice tracks. Don't you think and how do you mean POE ? Forgive me if that's a little dumb. I know it's power over ethernet but how do I know if a switch is.