Study/take A+ tests separate??

txlauraloutxlauralou Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Until I visited your site today, I didn't know what the passing score was for A+ Hardware. I'd like to think that I could do at least 80%...but I also have to admit that the 50% is a relief. icon_wink.gif I'm doing study through QuickCert and can get a 65%+ on most of the separate objectives. So, if I study a little longer, hopefully I'll be fine.

Anyway, here's my question...would I be better off to just study and take the Hardware test and then do the OS later or do them together?

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would study them together, as I believe most books don't differentiate between them, because either way, you need to know all the info. Read the books, then once you're ready to test, look at each exams objectives, then make sure you're familiar with them individually.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I've always worked with hardware and software together, and when I finally realized there was an exam availble many years back, I tookt them together. Figured that's how they work in the world, so why take time off from work on two separate days when it can be finished at the same time? Just a thought.

BTW- I'm not sure why so many think of the exam as a percentage of pass/fail. Only CompTIA knows how it is scored but they've not said that the max on every test is 900 only that the points are between 100-900 with a pass of 505 or 515.

Frankly, if you are happy with 65% knowledge, I wouldn't have you working at my company. Far too low of a score to be satisfied with. FWIW. I just hope if I ever need a major surgery I have a surgeon who wasn't satisfied with a bare minimum score, but strives for the best knowledge possible (book and hands-on). My clients computer data is that special to them.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • boostedtc24boostedtc24 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    I've always worked with hardware and software together, and when I finally realized there was an exam availble many years back, I tookt them together. Figured that's how they work in the world, so why take time off from work on two separate days when it can be finished at the same time? Just a thought.

BTW- I'm not sure why so many think of the exam as a percentage of pass/fail. Only CompTIA knows how it is scored but they've not said that the max on every test is 900 only that the points are between 100-900 with a pass of 505 or 515.

Frankly, if you are happy with 65% knowledge, I wouldn't have you working at my company. Far too low of a score to be satisfied with. FWIW. I just hope if I ever need a major surgery I have a surgeon who wasn't satisfied with a bare minimum score, but strives for the best knowledge possible (book and hands-on). My clients computer data is that special to them.

Yeah... you would hope. However people don't usually hang their test scores on the wall on their office, only that certificate or degree that they've earned. A certificate or degree only means they've put forward the effort to study the material and pass the exam with the points required (or more). The A+ certification is by no means a demonstration of mastery in the field. It's only entry level knowledge. Surgeons, on the other hand, must take numerous tests and attend years of school in order to obtain their position. The ability to endure through that much training is a demonstration of mastery in itself, in my opinion.
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    lauralou,

My first question would be... is this your first certification exam? If so, you might want to get your feet wet before you jump off head first.

Which do you feel is your strong suit? Hardware or Software. If you have a fav, I would go with that and sit for that exam after you have conquered the objectives. I always recommend overstudying. It gives you that extra margin to help overcome exam anxiety. After you have taken the first exam, you will have a better idea of what to expect. This will give you experience in the testing center.

After that first successful exam, your confidence will get stronger. this will give you incentive to tackle the other exam.

I might suggest you check out the free study guides over at www.certiguide.com . they are easy to read and a good reinforcement to your other resources. best of luck. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • txlauraloutxlauralou Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I need to clarify a couple things that I didn't communicate well...
    Plantwiz wrote:
    BTW- I'm not sure why so many think of the exam as a percentage of pass/fail....Frankly, if you are happy with 65% knowledge, I wouldn't have you working at my company. Far too low of a score to be satisfied with. FWIW. I just hope if I ever need a major surgery I have a surgeon who wasn't satisfied with a bare minimum score, but strives for the best knowledge possible (book and hands-on).

I completely agree. I am definitely not content with 65%...I just meant that that's where I am now, so I've still got plenty of study to do. When I first obtained some resources to study the A+ material, I wanted it so that I would understand it and could use it--not to pass an exam.

Funny that you should bring up a medical analogy. My EMT brother and I were just discussing that yesterday.
    My first question would be... is this your first certification exam? If so, you might want to get your feet wet before you jump off head first.

Which do you feel is your strong suit? Hardware or Software. If you have a fav, I would go with that and sit for that exam after you have conquered the objectives.

Yes, it will be my first exam. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
  • Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    There's so much material to cover for both tests that I would take them seperately. I feel I would've passed both of them on the same day, but being my first cert test I didn't know what to expect.
    I just hope if I ever need a major surgery I have a surgeon who wasn't satisfied with a bare minimum score, but strives for the best knowledge possible (book and hands-on).

That reminds me of the old saying: "What do you call the guy that finished dead last in medical school?"...... Doctor
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • JimehbooJimehboo Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have two books from when I was in School. They are both very lengthy books, one was geared to pass the O/S, and the other Hardware. Both books had similar information in some chapters, but also unique information for each test. I passed the Hardware 2 weeks ago, and will be taking the O/S soon.

The books I have are from Thomson Course Technology…

A+ Guide to Software
    A+ Guide to Hardware