My co-workers make me hate my job

strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
My co-workers make me hate my job. They are a bunch of racists.

This isn't mean to be harsh but why would you expect work to be any different to people you come across in any other part of your day?

What sort of racism do you encounter?

Comments

• woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    I hated my last job because of the other IT staff there, though that wasn't a racism problem (it was more of a competence problem!).

I was sooo happy when I got my current job.

There has been lots of threads giving good advice on finding jobs so if you follow those I'm sure something will turn up.

Good Luck
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^^ Its very hard to find a competent team to work with in IT. I'm not saying I'm perfect but there so many lazy know-nothings in this industry it makes me sick.

And a lot of socially awkward nerds, with no good looking women working in the industry.

I've considered changing but in the end I like what I do and I have learnt to ignore the unimportant crap. Also, other peoples mistakes keep me in a job because I get to fix them :)
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IT-jacques wrote:
    How do you keep your composure when your co-workers do stupid things every day? There is a good bit of racism at my work place. What makes me even more upset is that they are hypocrites, meaning they act like they like you when you know they don't. I am desperate to find a new job and kiss this job goodbye.

if you have experienced racism i would talk with HR fast. you will need date and describe the instance.( once hr is contacted they usually let upper management know and it rolls down hill to the offender being checked) if nothing occurs of this then i would go to local/state labor board and let them know of issue and really watch it fly

theres nothing to be done for dumb techs except report all continual mistakes , i hate to get someone fired but if your constantly a dumb a$$ your making everyones job harder cleaning up their messes
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    If your job sucks, put Baileys in your coffe. On a side note - It is easier to change the employee than the employer.
  • become the employer! muahahahahaha icon_twisted.gif
  • certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't really care in the end. I am a strong dude and I don't plan to stay at my position for long. Those snobs can go screw themselves. I don't really care. I don't know why I posted this topic after all. Maybe it was because something recently happened at work that got me really mad.

Moderators.,Let's lock this topic.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IT-jacques wrote:
    I don't plan to stay at my position for long.
    That's exactly how you do it! :D Punch your ticket and move up elsewhere. It's the idiots that have to f***up and move up where they are at.

icon_shaking.gif shake it off and move on, and up.
    become the employer!
    Hum... that would work. icon_cool.gif
    garv221 wrote:
    If your job sucks, put Baileys in your coffe. On a side note - It is easier to change the employee than the employer.
    I've seen the side note in actions -- HR sorta supported the employee, and then she was gone in 4 months. icon_evil.gif
    IT-jacques wrote:
    Moderators.,Let's lock this topic.
    No!!! Come on -- this is real life. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

I would never have thought of the Bailey's drunken_smilie.gif thing on my own! This is good stuff here!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lawl mikej412 your a nice person , allways got something good to say.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    strauchr wrote:
    And a lot of socially awkward nerds, with no good looking women working in the industry.
    Get an IT job in a very large bank or hospital. You will find yourself fixing the computer problems of more great looking women than you ever knew existed outside of a shopping mall (or a strip club). :)
  • FireplaceTeaFireplaceTea Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely do NOT let HR know. Every HR department I've known supports the managers and believes management over the employees. Essentially, HR will take the side of management and then the complainer is sometimes gone (fired, layed off) shortly after...and sometimes nothing comes of it at all. A lot of it has to do with saving face and doing what is easier and safer for the people involved. You will need to teach yourself how to ignore the racism. Learn as much as you can, grow as much as you can in your current job while quietly job hunting. Life has a way of throwing the same lesson your way until you learn how to deal with it.
  • oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely do NOT let HR know. Every HR department I've known supports the managers and believes management over the employees. Essentially, HR will take the side of management and then the complainer is sometimes gone (fired, layed off) shortly after...and sometimes nothing comes of it at all. A lot of it has to do with saving face and doing what is easier and safer for the people involved. You will need to teach yourself how to ignore the racism. Learn as much as you can, grow as much as you can in your current job while quietly job hunting. Life has a way of throwing the same lesson your way until you learn how to deal with it.
    Outstanding advice and absolutely correct.

In my last full time position, I made the mistake of complaining about a "manager from hell", and resigned because of this person. Life was not good between resignation submittal and my last day.
    jdmurray wrote:
    strauchr wrote:
    Get an IT job in a very large bank or hospital. You will find yourself fixing the computer problems of more great looking women than you ever knew existed outside of a shopping mall (or a strip club). :)

I work for an extremely large bank, one of the biggest in fact.

However I am an AD architect - I never get to see people outside of IT at my job icon_sad.gif
    Yes, HR only look out for the business, not the employees - thats what unions are for.

I had a manager become very unpleasent toward me because I was complaing about being shoved into a very unergonomic desk, had servers and PCs around me constantly on (very hot and noisy) and had to work hunched over a laptop 8-10 hours a day.

I tried for months to get the servers/pcs moved, a decent desk and an external keyboard and monitor to ease the neck pain I was getting from bad posture. After all, this situation was meant to be 'temporary'.

So I threatened to go to OH and S, got some of the demands I was after and was redundant 3 months later! I was going to move on anyway and got a nice pyout to go with it.
  • certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the advice. I am again asking a mod to lock this topic or I will edit the topic and change the content. This isn't the site to discuss such things. I am here to gain knowledge and learn from others, not to share my misery.

I don't know why I posted this in the first place.
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    This world is corrupt!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    strauchr wrote:
    jdmurray wrote:
    strauchr wrote:

However I am an AD architect - I never get to see people outside of IT at my job icon_sad.gif

Hmmmm...get your A+ cert and transfer to a position where you are crawling around under desks on your hand and knees. Oh, and take a big cut paycut in the process. icon_wink.gif
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Why keep begging for a topic lock........are you not willing to listen and learn from others or promote further discussion?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You vented here (in a professional manner I might add) -- rather than venting all over you co-workers.

Fine... okay.... nothing more to see here... we'll break it up and move along...
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    jdmurray wrote:
    strauchr wrote:
    jdmurray wrote:
    strauchr wrote:

Hmmmm...get your A+ cert and transfer to a position where you are crawling around under desks on your hand and knees. Oh, and take a big cut paycut in the process. icon_wink.gif

Yeah, maybe I'll just use the extra money to try an impress the chicks :)

Oh yeah and the prestige and knowledge of being an AD architect icon_rolleyes.gif
    Thanks for all the advice. I am again asking a mod to lock this topic or I will edit the topic and change the content. This isn't the site to discuss such things. I am here to gain knowledge and learn from others, not to share my misery.

No need to lock the topic. This IS the place to post about issues in the work place. Other people may like to contribute and also hear others experience.
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    what were you expecting?
    This is my last post on these boards. [edit by Webmaster]Bla bla bla yadaa yadaa yadaa. Go wash your mouth.

Reminds of pretty boy who started complaining about racism but just turned out to be a major unprofessional [let's refrain myself here... icon_sunny.gif ]. Take a look at yourself before judging others. [/edit]
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Mature. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sie wrote:
    Mature. icon_rolleyes.gif
    I'm guessing that was the problem in the first place.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I don't know what is going at this guy's job, but for those who actually encounter racism at work, I suggest reading the following topic, and in particular Keatron's replies:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9069

If you encounter racism at work, whatever may seem to be the cause, you don't have to, and shouldn't put up with it. Inform HR, and let higher management take care of the problem. But, before you do, make sure you are judging the situation correctly, because crying wolf will make it that much harder for those who are in such a situation and actually do need help.